Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Altbier

A Doppelsticke Altbier brewed for Victory Brewing's 10th Anniversary, released in Feb 2006 and debuting at BeerAdvocate's 3rd Annual Extreme Beer Fest in 2006. A dark ale with malty depth, but with the fragrance and bold, brassy tang of European hops. 8.5%. According to Victory, they believe that this could be the first Doppelsticke brewed in the US.

Added by Todd on 01-05-2006

4.09/5  rDev +4.1%

The wonder of the depth & breadth of the Bottle Backlog here at Chez Woody is some of the beers that it burps forth as I scrub through in order to eradicate them. This is one such instance.

From the Ten-plus Years Alt Bottle: "We met when we were 10 years old, and we opened our brewery just ten years ago. To honor the past years of great beers and memories, we have reached back to our German brewing roots for inspiration. With this special ale we have given new life to a tried and true style."; "The alt beers of Dusseldorf are legendary ales of delicate malt complexity and surprising hop character. Our Ten Years Alt is an amped-up take on the 'sticke' versions of alt beers that the top brewers make from time to time to reward their loyal fans. With a level of malty depth to anchor the robust tang of quality German hops, Ten Years Alt will both surprise and comfort you, just as you have come to expect from our beers. Cheers, [undersigned] The Brewmasters of Victory[,] Bill [&] Ron".

You must know by now that I would be employing a very gentle pour with this one. I began with a Pop! of the cap & slowly decanted the beer into an awaiting glass. My efforts paid off as its clarity was excellent, but it required a vigorous in-glass swirl to briefly raise a finger of foamy, soapy, light-tan head with limited retention. leaving decent lacing as it sank. Color was Brown to Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with garnet highlights. Nose had a leathery, raisin-y quality, almost like an aged Barleywine. Glancing at the ABV, this may have held up very well. Mouthfeel, while only lightly carbonated, was thick & viscous. I let it roll around on my tongue to warm as I contemplated where I might have originally purchased this sixer. It may have been during a trip to the brewery for its release, actually. The taste was earthy, as though both the hops and malts used imparted an earthiness that melded together really well over the past decade. It was very much imbued with a raisin & leather flavor, again making me thing of an aged Barleywine. Finish was dry and the lees that remained on the punt suggested that the yeast had continued to do its job even after bottling. A very interesting time capsule.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%

3.97/5  rDev +1%

3.99/5  rDev +1.5%

4.25/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.53/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

4.03/5  rDev +2.5%

3.9/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

On tap:
Pours an almost balanced dark red/brown. Clarity is high, and the off-white head is tight and lasting, though minimal lacing.

Nose is lightly caramel in nature, but with a balancing bittering note that is indistinct to my nose. The combination seems a little toasty at times. In some whiffs, I get a little fruity note, maybe light cherry - but I'm not positive that this isn't an anomaly.

Taste in this pour isn't as malty as I'd expect. There is a honey-like note in and otherwise toasty and woody to herbal bitter opening. If I let the beer linger on the tongue, the caramel and that light cherry note make an appearance. Feel is decent carbonation that does add a little bite to the feel that comes off to me as a bit of spice. Lingering tingle may indicate some spiciness in the actual hops.

Was looking for a little more malty or balanced beer, but this isn't bad. It comes close to the hoppy amber, but luckily for me doesn't get there.

3.66/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.31/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Reviewed from notes taken a couple of hours ago while having a glass and being able to chat about it with a friend who is also a homebrewer.

Although this beer is listed here as retired I just had it on tap at the Parkesburg brewpub facility. It was originally brewed as a 10th Anniversary beer and only brewed once. But now, 10 years later in the 20th Anniversary year it has been brewed again but I don't think it will see any distribution beyond the brewpub.

As served in a tall half pint glass the beer is a clear deep copper, almost brown color, with a 1/2" light tan head that leaves some patches of lacing and has a nice layer of foam for most of the beer. Sipping creates scattered patches of foam.

The aromas include some caramel and a bit of dark bready character along with some spicy, grassy, floral hops.

The flavors are really firm, definite and enjoyable with this one. The malt backbone, with its caramel and dark bread character, tends to dominate but isn't overly sweet and so allows the spicy hop flavors to show through while it controls the earthy bitterness that is a part of the flavor mix. I think I'm also picking up a bit of alcohol sweetness as well but there isn't any alcohol burn.

The mouth feel is on the full side of medium bodied and nicely smooth with the moderate carbonation. The finish begins about midway through and is fairly long as the malt flavors slowly fade away leaving some nice earthy bitterness to linger to the next sip.

I've enjoyed this beer and hope to find it again as I'd like to have another. It's definitely well made and I think its a shame that it has only put in an appearance once every ten years.

3.75/5  rDev -4.6%