Braumeister Pils - Saaz | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by GeoffFromSJ on 02-03-2006

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Reviews: 26 | Ratings: 46
4.43/5  rDev +6.2%

I had the pleasure of sharing this growler with my friends Slatetank and gottajiboo2 on Friday. We had plenty of other beer so I am polishing off the growler this eavening and I am enjoying the daylights out of this beer. I have never enjoyed a Pilsner this much. It is remarkably easy drinking. I pulled the growler out of the fride a good 30 - 40 mins before opening to allow a bit of warming. I hates that draft beers are served too cold at the bar. this was soo much better at home.

Appearance: It pours a cloudy light lemon yellow color with a HUGE four finger head that is thick and rocky. It lasts for quite a while and as it fades it leaves the glass coated in thick sticky lacing. row after row.

Smell: I am not typically excited much by pilsners but this one really hits the spot. I am not exactly sure what it is about this particular pils that makes it so different from all the rest. I think what sets it apart is the freshness. I really smells like *fresh* cut grass hops and fresh split hay-like dryness with pale pilsner malt bread sweetness. Delightful.

Taste: Dry crisp lemon grass with a perfect saaz hop pucker presence; a divinely smooth peppery spice that pricks the palate on the back end especially. this is the only pils I have ever just gushed over. WOW! I am a fan.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and dry. Light in the mouth but full of flavor and spice. the hops just light up with pepperyness and the aftertaste lasts for mils and miles.

Drinkability: Drinkability is the feature of this beer. Absolutely amazing. I had half a growler a little while ago. Three glasses later the growler is empty and I am very satisfied. This was a pleasantly and surprisingly easy drinking beer I had next to my chicken and rice diner. With desert and with this review. I would put this on tap in my house over the summer, (if I had a draft system).

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.97/5  rDev -4.8%

Draught @ Victory: Another variation of their Pilsner beer, which I believe they only serve at their pub. The beer is a lovely hazy, golden color, with a white head. There is a slightly spicy hop & wheat aroma. The taste is a lighter malty, with maybe a hint of sweetness and spiciness. Very good hop bite, but not as balanced as the Prima Pils. There are definitely Wit characteristics in this brew. Another good reason to visit the brewery.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Appearance of this kellerbier hazy sunrise murky golden bliss billowing white head leaves chunky layers of lacing. Aroma is full on with Saaz herbal citrus lemongrass floral notes along with big biscuit malt layers and yeast breadiness that both elope very nicely together. Taste is upfront flavorful with hoppy tones of lemongrass, herbal citrus notes with a healthy amount of bitterness doesn't make you pucker but the bready yeast and biscuit malt profile balances and lets you know that everythings alright. The mineral character adds another level of crispness to the complexity that this single hopped brew has to offer. Mouthfeel had lively carbonation medium-lighter bodied unfiltered pils the body had some texture to it. Drinkability overall possibly my favorite beer I tasted at Victory on Saturday night during their celebration of the decade in brewing.

4.52/5  rDev +8.4%

Hazy and pale golden in colour, puffy and cloudy white head firmly supplanted on top of this gem. Protruding essences of lemon and Saaz hops with back notes of malty goodness. It seemed to really round into form the warmer it got. The finish was noncloying, precise, and very flavorful and alluring. Citrus, Saaz hoppiness, and a closing bitterness round out this fine, fine offering.

4.6/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

It came to me a resonant, glistening gold, clear and alive with carbonation. A finger-plus of bright white head held its own long and heartily, then laced the glass fluently.

The aroma was blissfully basic and focused, with light, berry sweet malt mingling with mild doughy yeastiness and the more poignant, tangy lift of the Saaz hops.

Upon sipping, the malt flowed first, with a rounded initial fruity sweetness that was promptly mitigated by the nippy bite of the hops. Continuing to dry more as it progressed, the hops passed from tangy to peppery to more of a fuzzy image as it turned more torward bittering. The long-lingering finish was a soft, glowing tribute to the hops, with the wee-est measure of yeast along for the fine ride. It's hard to imagine a pilsener being more sound and refreshing.

Light bodied, it still felt tightly woven on the palate, with nary a hole in the wash of flavor. The lingering glow was special.

I;ve often said that no matter how good it might be, not every beer can wow you. Well, while that is certainly true, this beer DOES wow me. From the first, visually-rewarding vision to the last flicker of finish, this is one wonderful creation. Crisp, refreshing, and rewarding, there is absolutely nothing in this beer that would stop you from wanting another, and another, and another. Anytime, any place, this one is a show-stopper, but I'm thinking of the heat of summer, in the sun, and this lovely beside me. Wow.

4.48/5  rDev +7.4%

I believe I was the first to have this at the Grey Lodge as they tapped this around 6pm on Groundhog's Day.

Truly exceptional. Victory rep told me to classify this as a Czech pils, but she also gave me the official description: unfiltered, or 'keller' pilsner. German malt. Czech Saaz whole flowers.

Beautiful straw gold color with frothy head and nice lace. Dry taste. Peppery finish. Incredibly smooth at first and then less so as it warmed.

Wish it was summer and I could grill some salmon to go with this beauty.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last