Baltic Thunder | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by akorsak on 01-05-2008

Reviews: 539 | Ratings: 926
3.25/5  rDev -16%

This is a great example of why hyping up a beer can be a bad thing. The amount of beergeeks excited to try this was insane due to the brewing press release, big news to see Tom Baker teaming up with Victory. Then the wait with all the legal bullshit, and what follows is a blend of trying to get this one right before the big release. Well, they didn't get much right in my eyes and I'm going to try it again. Had it thrice on tap and I will be investing in a bomber, but I'm weary. No many gripes with appeaance except for head retention, poured pitch black in body much like I recall the Hammer forming a thin tan head leaving thin scant speckled lacing. I remember the Perkuno's to have texture all day with lacing throughout each pint. I think the change of the beans altered the protein count therefore affecting head. Aromatics I'm getting sweet dried fruits with some tart acidic mild offensive tones going on, chocolate roasts play nice with figs and plum fruitiness. Some mild booziness with lingering herbal hop notes comes late. Flavors insert ripe or dried concentrated fruit flavor whether it comes off plum, fig, or raisin I'd definitely call it some what vinous. Dark dry roasted malt lacking the complex mix of flavors the Hammer always provided but my point is that fruit and dark chocolate with a mildy cloying dark chocolate syrup comes off one dimensional in the flavor. Mouthfeel is full bodied assertive carbonation a bit unnatural with words like thin and blah entering my brain. Drinkability, no doubt any brew from Victory is going to be a solid player, good dark beer but never try to relive a classic craft brew like Perkuno's Imperial Hammer if you're not going to truly bring it to the table. Definitely not our beloved Hammer but Baltic Thunder I'm sure will be getting better with some age, right now it really lacks complexity.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Brown body with red highlights, good clarity, and a light tan head of loudly fizzy micro bubbles which looks like a coca cola head breaking down in slow motion.

Pleasant aroma mixes chocolate, coffee and bits of dark fruit.

Taste comes by with breakneck spped. Bits of coffee and cocoa. Touch of earty hops. Big fruity finish is very nice.

Mouthfeel is too thin. Drinkability is easy but not as interesting as hoped.

An ok beer that is burdened by its history and suffered a difficult birth. Expecting far more from the next batch.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.
Poured a little lighter than expected.

Meduim brown/black color with an offwhite colored head. Slight aroma of dark malt, coffe, and chocolate. Interesting flavor upon first taste. Bitter up front with an almost faint hint of a celery taste. Weird, I know. Maybe its the mix of booze taste and the hops/malt combo.

Tasty but at the same time not really a stand out either.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle: Poured a black color porter with an average size foamy head with average retention and some light lacing. Aroma is a mix of roasted malt with light bitter notes and medium black chocolate. Taste is also a nice enough mix between some roasted malt with notes of black chocolate. Body is about average with no apparent alcohol and some good carbonation. I was expecting a lot more character and must admit to having been slightly disappointed.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Served cool in a standard pint.

Pours light, not much head, color was medium dark brown, mahogany, leaves negligible lacing.

Aroma is full of sweet maltiness, toastiness, honey malt and toffee. Strong woody earthiness--hops or yeast?

Flavor is malty and sweet with some dark fruitiness, not notably chocolately or roasty at all. Like concentrated Old Speckled Hen.

Goes down easy enough, not as heavy as I expected. No alcohol warmth or flavor.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Consumed November 9th, 2011 at Boho, Hollywood, CA.

Beer is a very deep but crystal clear brown with a smooth one finger off white head.

Aromas of nuts and dashes of smoke.

Flavor is mostly a somewhat sweet, nutty smoked malt affair with traces of vanilla. What's lacking is the promised chocolate and/or coffee flavors. Perhaps the keg had been on too long? Some bitterness on finish, but fairly minimal.

Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than standard for a porter; again, falling somewhat short of my expectations.

I finished the pint faster than I thought I would, but I am not in a big hurry to have another pull off this keg. Would like to try it again sometime, though.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a DFH Snifter

A - Ruby brown pour with a fizzy, one finger, two-toned head (medium brown and toasted marshmallow). Head dissipates rapidly and leaves very little behind...almost makes me think I cleaned my glass wrong (but I didn't). Lacing minimal.

S - Malty nose has bits of brown sugar, molasses, caramel, and something of a somewhat spicy quality

T&M - Big caramel and dark roasted malt hit with a defined sweetness. Hops are on the lighter side, as they should be, and bring a bit of balance with an earthy, herbal and somewhat peppery bit. Alcohol is well hidden, with just a touch of solvency in the finish, with a lingering, almost sticky finish. Seems a bit thin...lighter medium body

D - Honestly, I think I was expecting a bit more from this one. It feels very "minimal" to me, and the solvency seemed to build over the course of the drink. Sweetness also seemed to build over time...not a bad beer by any stretch, but one I'm not likely to revisit

3.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass; near-black with almost no head or lacing. The smell was near-sickeningly sweet, with raisin, overripe plum, dark chocolate, wood, and alcohol. Smells like an imbalanced dubbel or a decent Russian imp. stout. The flavor was dominated by syrupy-sweet chocolate-covered raisins soaked in alcohol, with an after-burn. There really isn't any qualities about this beer to call a 'porter' to mind; even the texture seemed a little off; more syrupy like an RIS rather than a creamy porter. I realize that this is supposed to be a hybrid style, but a hybrid usually exhibits qualities of the two styles in question, and this one doesn't. Thankfully I had some Hop Wallop on hand to bat clean-up.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber- pours a dark ruby with two finder beige head. Nose- sweet dark fruits, faint sweet malts. Taste- earthy, medium roast, stale sweetness. Light to medium body, roasty finsih. Nothing too exciting here, but drinkability isn't too bad. Not picking up the beans that have been added

3.14/5  rDev -18.9%

On-tap at Bocktown Beer and Grill

A nice beer, but I can't say I'm impressed. Maybe the hype just raised the expectations too high, but I rather think this beer just doesn't quite match the other baltics I've had.

At first I got a big, juicy sweet cherry flavor, followed by chocolate (chocolate covered cherries maybe). Then there was a little bit of toffee grains and a bit of alcohol. I also pulled some vegetal DMS aroma out of here and didn't get much of an aftertaste. Overall, I was disappointed, but this found it to be an agreeable beer.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

22 oz picked up in Buffalo a while ago.

Pours a clear dark reddish brown, quite nice held up to the light, very thick light tan head forms, drops some decent lacing on its way down, sticks to a solid layer and ring around the glass, nice retention. Smell is neat, caramel, dark fruits, raisins, light chocolate, very malty, cake, bit of vanilla, some floral, almost a light smokiness, aroma is subdued for its strength though. Taste is not too pleasant, a bit nutty, caramel, roast, bready, raisins, iron, a bit of floral and a light sourness in the finish, malty but really bland. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light to medium carbonation, goes down easy for 8.5% but I was expecting a lot more considing how genius Perkuno's Hammer was, quite a let down by Victory. I was going to do a side by side with Perkuno but Baltic Thunder is not worthy of that.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Baltic Thunder a couple weeks ago for $6.49 at The Lager Mill. I've been liking the Baltic Porter's lately and since I really liked the last bomber I got from Victory I decided to take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's well done and it has a cool look to it. It poured a darker brown color that took on some dark ruby hues when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This beer looked ok, but the color was a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that are caramel and medium roasted and also impart some chocolate aromas. After that comes an earthy and grainy aroma followed by a familiar lager yeast aroma. The aroma was ok, but it wasn't as roasty and robust as most Baltic Porters, the yeast seemed to stick out a little too much also.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness along with a good amount of caramel and roasted malts that impart some grainy, caramel, chocolate, and some lighter roasted flavors. Up next comes an earthy flavor followed by some of the yeast that I picked up in the aroma. On the finish it had a lighter amount of bitterness with no trace of alcohol and it had a lightly roasted and sweet aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting Baltic Porter, it wasn't as roasted and rich as it should, it tasted watered down.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it was going in the right direction but when it came to the body it was just too light and thin for the style.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average at best example of the style, all the aspects of this beer seemed to be much lighter then they should be and it didn't come together the way that a good Baltic Porter should. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth and on the lighter side, but the flavors just didn't hold my attention and one is enough for me, I wouldn't want any more than that. What I liked the most about this beer was price, if this was $10 I would be very disappointed, but I think it's priced reasonably. What I liked the least about this beer was how much lighter most of the aspects of this beer were compared to most Baltic Porters, it just seemed to be lacking in every aspect. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have a Thirsty Trout Porter and it's a way better Baltic Porter and it costs less, I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. All in all this beer left me wanting more and I don't think it did the style justice. IT seems like Victory is pretty hit or miss for me and this was another miss, better luck next time guys.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Was interested to see how this compared to Heavyweight's Perkunno's Hammer since the Hammer used to be one of my favorites (before the 2nd or 3rd revision anyway) and although this was not a bad beer, didn't live up to my expectations even though my scoring was compared to other baltic porters.

Nice thick mouthfeel but lacking that creaminess that the Hammer had, decent fruity flavors from the malt/yeast, but dark malt flavors were a bit one dimensional (carafa?). A bit unbalanced for my tastes since it was laden with sweet malt without having good balance from hops or alcohol which made it cloying after a half a pint. Couldn't finish the bomber, but saved the rest to make french onion soup.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from Bottle into Snifter glass.

Pours a deep brown/black, almost a dark cola, with a thick, fizzy tan colored head that quickly dissolves into a fine ring and head that remains atop the glass. The aroma is slight roasted malts, burnt toast and vanilla extract. Flavor is roasted malts upfront followed bitter chocolate, cocoa, more vanilla extract and finishes sweet and a little dry. It has a thin body with a great deal of carbonation. The vanilla extract feature in this beer is overly pronounced and the body is pretty thin. Besides those downfalls its not a bad beer and has some other tasty features but I think I may pass the next time I see this available.

3.09/5  rDev -20.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a two-finger head into my pint glass. Good presentation for the style.

Aroma is full of dark fruit and a slight hint of cocoa. Alcohol warmth seems to peek through as well. Maybe my nose is worn?

Taste is full of sweet malt, dark fruits and only a hint of cocoa. Seems rather dry. Can't really find many flavors I'd associate with this style.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering dark fruits and sweet malt. Not much else to go by. Seems rather off.

Eh, I've had better. By no means horrible but also, by no means the definition of the style.

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

A: Rich chestnut brown on the verge of black.. thin tan head.. no lacing...

S: Roasted malts... mostly caramel.. a dash of chocolate.. not much else.

T: Bitter chocolateness paired with some sweet caramel malts... pretty balanced, but i couldn't find much to get behind and dive into.

M: Rather carbonated, medium bodied.. balanced from start to finish.

D: It was decent, but lacking the complexity of the more interesting baltic porters

3.08/5  rDev -20.4%

Been waiting to try this one for a while, didn't come in to the local bottle shop but a friend showed up with a bomber to split with me, so i finally got to try it. Very cool looking bottle.

Poured into a snifter, very dark with nice chocolate head that disappears very quickly, actually left a tiny bit of lace.

Smell was much less bold than i expected. It was an odd combination of roasted and bready malt smells. Not bad, but very unusual. I also am not sure what kind of a contribution the beans were making.

Taste is, again, very subdued. I was expecting a lot, but i was disappointed. Pretty similar to the smell. At least it wasn't an alcohol bomb. Very smooth. Pretty drinkable, but boring. I wouldn't refuse another, but i am going to stop looking for this one, especially since now i have the bottle.

3.06/5  rDev -20.9%

22 ounce bomber poured into a 20 ounce nonic.

As a longtime fan of Perkuno's Hammer I have been really excited to try this for a long time. Don't let me down Victory.

A - Pours out a nearly black dark brown. When held to light a tiny reddish tint is evident. The head fomrs nearly two fingers high but is rather fizzy and dissipates a bit.

S - A bit of a chocolate smell but pretty faint.

T - A very vinuous, fruity flavor. Some smokiness in there.

M - A tad thin and a little watery for the style. Too much carbonation.

D - Too sweet overall. Carbonation/watery feel make this one suffer.

Notes: I've got to think something was lost in translation here. The old feel of the Hammer, as well as the flavors, seem to be gone here. Oh well, R.I.P. Heavyweight.

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

I poured this big beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was really black with a dark head that did not last very long at all. The smell was of coffee and roasted nuts smelling also and sour slightly. The taste was kinda flat and had a harsh alcohol burn aftertaste. I will not buy again.

3.04/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not sure the age on this but poured strong with a nice head and ruby darkness. Smell seemed muted along with sweet flavors, no bite or smoke/chocolate that I'd expect from this style. Clearly this fella was way passed his prime and ended up going down the drain.

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. The body was clear of sediment and dark brown/black. There was one finger of khaki head.

Smell was steel and brown sugar.

Taste was roasted grain bitterness. Clean and not too sweet. However, the underlying sweetness lingers a while.

Mouthfeel was adequately zippy. Light to medium in body.

this one is not black enough, and not hopey enough for me, a bit to sweet for me to, ther porter is a far better brew, now for the good, this is better than any fizzy yellow lager hands down and the abv is nice, i would have anouther if it were given to me but i dont see myself to buy another one of theese

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

A year or so ago this was the FIRST porter that I ever had. It introduced me to the world of porters and stouts. This brew will be forever associated with that for me.

A - a bit more light showing through than I usually like, but it has a very tight lasting head.

S - not bad but very mild. Not strong enough to add or detract from the brew.

T - malty with a hit of chocolate. Bitter after taste.

M - coats the whole mouth. Mild tingle on the back sides of the tongue and top of the throat.

D - I am in for one every now and then for history, but that is about it.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a pretty dark brown with garnet highlights. Just a quick film of head after the pour that goes down to nothing in a flash. Muted roast, maybe some black currant nuances. Just a touch of bandaides though. Maybe some marshmellows, roasted pumpenickle bread. But some medicinal flavors sour the atertaste. The palate is a little bitter and choppy. The alcohol breathes some warmth through the nose. A little hard to drink.

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

This beer poured a dark coca cola colored body with a dark off-white head.

Nose is very nondescript and hard to pick up at first. Faint touches of dark malt with some earthy notes.

Taste is medium to full bodied with a strong roasted, over roasted, sitting around for a while, old coffee bean sort of flavor. A strong earthy hop bitterness and taste flows throughout and sort of sits off a bit with the malt. Dark chocolate, wet wood, damp cardboard, muted over toasted espresso, dark bread, black patent malts. A big alcohol gives it some warmth but never really fights with the other flavors. Ends with a lingering odd mix of flavors.

I'm not really crazy about this beer. It's decent and definitely drinkable, just feels very much out of balance.

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown