Baltic Thunder | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

victorybeer.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by akorsak on 01-05-2008

2.86/5  rDev -26.1%

Thanks to tangfoot for sending me this one in the Top 100 BIF.

Enjoy by Dec 31 08 stated on the label.

Pours the a few shades darker than brown sugar crystals and has a good ¾ of an inch of foam.

The aroma is different from other Baltic porters I have had. This one is really nutty with some caramel/toffee, toast, and some hops in the background but something just seems off. I don't get too much fruit. It smells "thin" and gaseous. The aroma is just ok.

The flavor is just all over the place and has a weird buttery aftertaste. Toast is there, toffee, but also what seems like diacetyl which just doesn't go well. The malt taste is also just odd. None of the flavors seem to balance well in this beer. There's a bit of bitterness that wants to come through as coffee or chocolate but neither really holds, they both get run over by the buttery flavor.

Mouth-feel is decent but seems a bit too carbonated because of the lack of balance in the flavor, the malt just doesn't have strength to hold on to the palate.

Color this one disappointing. Either way I'm glad I got to try this one.

2.87/5  rDev -25.8%

This beer describes itself as, "exhibiting the enticing, toffee roast of the British Porters...and the smoothing subtle fruit nuance of contemporary brews." I've never had a Baltic Porter, so I went into this beer with the expectation of tasting a porter.

Ap - Similar to Guinness, though not as silky in the head.

Sm - Malt sweetness mixed with a lesser amount of roasted malt. No hops.

Ta - Unbalanced. I started drinking this straight out of the fridge and the roasted malt character came through but it was tempered by residual malt sugars. It made it difficult to enjoy because I kept wanting the dry, bitter, roastiness of a porter and never quite got it. As it warmed, the roasted malt faded and the sweetness developed into a fruitiness. At about cellar temp, it was all fruit and very little roasted malt. I began to enjoy it more because I could focus more on this sweet aspect of the brew.

Overall - This beer stands somewhere in between a porter/stout and a scotch ale/wee heavy. This could be an excellent example of a Baltic Porter because I've never had any others. For me, it rates a little better than average, although it never quite satisfied my tastes.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

A: Dark brown and opague, nice head but quickly dissipated; little to no lacing.

S: Nice roasted malt aroma

T: Too sweet, not well balanced and out of style IMO.

M: sort of flat and not very satisfying

D: probaly won't go back for another due to my not liking the taste very much and lack of mouthfeel.

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Aprilluvsbeer hooked me up with this one as a bonus in a recent trade. thanks april!

22oz bottle. sampled may 28/08.

pours deep brown, not quite opaque, with a wisp of very fine tan head. the head disappears fast and leaves no lace.

aroma is nice. caramel, slightly sweet. fruity - cherry, date. whole wheat bread. alcohol. slightly toasty. bit of baltic character.

taste is ok. not what i expected, more bock than porter. just over medium bitterness level, which seems a bit high. no sign of roast. bit of toasted multi-grain bread. cracker. bittersweet chocolate. bit of smoke. big bock-like lager character. butterscotch. bit of fruit.

mouthfeel is ok. just over medium carbonation level, too much for a baltic in my eyes. medium body.

drinkability is nice. the alcohol is fairly well hidden, but the bitterness a bit high. malt profile is decent.

this one threw me a little. doesn't really smell or taste like any baltic i've ever had. carbonation is high. blindfolded i'd swear it was a decent doppelbock, but not even a great one. pretty disappointed in this one as i was really looking forward to it and it just didn't deliver.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

22oz Bomber with a "Enjoy by Dec 31, 08"

Poured into a tumbler with poor results. I swear it looked just like a Coke. Same light-cream colored fizzy little bubbled head, which vanished almost immediately. Smells like caramel and coffee with sweetness dominating. Tastes malty with caramel and toffee flavors and an light background tang that proves to be the most interesting component. The mouthfeel full-bodies and smooth finishing prickly. It seems flat but still has a corbonated feel.

I was looking forward to this beer and feel disappointed. I took this from a 60 degree cellar and only refrigerated for a half-hour. I think it should have been served a little colder, but I don't think it would have changed everything. I'm not against trying this one again, as I am usually happy with the Victory line on beers.

2.92/5  rDev -24.5%

Poured black with a huge three finger light tan head. Head diminished over a 5 minute period and left behind an average amount of lacing.

I got some off aromas in the nose. A little funky. It makes me wonder if I just got a bad bottle. Some chocolate and tar with a mild hop aroma.

Tasted somewhat malty with very little hop bitterness. The hop flavor seemed like an afterthought. I also got a lot of alcohol in the taste which was surprising because it didn't present in the nose.

Mouthfeel was light, almost watery. Lighter than normal for a porter. Finish was fairly long but not complex.

I love Victory. They make two of my favorite beers. This was a disappointment, I have to wonder if I just got a bad bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -24.3%

This beer poured a dark coca cola colored body with a dark off-white head.

Nose is very nondescript and hard to pick up at first. Faint touches of dark malt with some earthy notes.

Taste is medium to full bodied with a strong roasted, over roasted, sitting around for a while, old coffee bean sort of flavor. A strong earthy hop bitterness and taste flows throughout and sort of sits off a bit with the malt. Dark chocolate, wet wood, damp cardboard, muted over toasted espresso, dark bread, black patent malts. A big alcohol gives it some warmth but never really fights with the other flavors. Ends with a lingering odd mix of flavors.

I'm not really crazy about this beer. It's decent and definitely drinkable, just feels very much out of balance.

2.95/5  rDev -23.8%

Pours a pretty dark brown with garnet highlights. Just a quick film of head after the pour that goes down to nothing in a flash. Muted roast, maybe some black currant nuances. Just a touch of bandaides though. Maybe some marshmellows, roasted pumpenickle bread. But some medicinal flavors sour the atertaste. The palate is a little bitter and choppy. The alcohol breathes some warmth through the nose. A little hard to drink.

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

A year or so ago this was the FIRST porter that I ever had. It introduced me to the world of porters and stouts. This brew will be forever associated with that for me.

A - a bit more light showing through than I usually like, but it has a very tight lasting head.

S - not bad but very mild. Not strong enough to add or detract from the brew.

T - malty with a hit of chocolate. Bitter after taste.

M - coats the whole mouth. Mild tingle on the back sides of the tongue and top of the throat.

D - I am in for one every now and then for history, but that is about it.

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Sam Adams glass. The body was clear of sediment and dark brown/black. There was one finger of khaki head.

Smell was steel and brown sugar.

Taste was roasted grain bitterness. Clean and not too sweet. However, the underlying sweetness lingers a while.

Mouthfeel was adequately zippy. Light to medium in body.

this one is not black enough, and not hopey enough for me, a bit to sweet for me to, ther porter is a far better brew, now for the good, this is better than any fizzy yellow lager hands down and the abv is nice, i would have anouther if it were given to me but i dont see myself to buy another one of theese

3.04/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Not sure the age on this but poured strong with a nice head and ruby darkness. Smell seemed muted along with sweet flavors, no bite or smoke/chocolate that I'd expect from this style. Clearly this fella was way passed his prime and ended up going down the drain.

3.05/5  rDev -21.2%

I poured this big beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees. The beer was really black with a dark head that did not last very long at all. The smell was of coffee and roasted nuts smelling also and sour slightly. The taste was kinda flat and had a harsh alcohol burn aftertaste. I will not buy again.

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown