Baltic Thunder | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by akorsak on 01-05-2008

Reviews: 539 | Ratings: 926
3.1/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Baltic Thunder a couple weeks ago for $6.49 at The Lager Mill. I've been liking the Baltic Porter's lately and since I really liked the last bomber I got from Victory I decided to take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, 2012 Vintage. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I like the label on this beer, it's well done and it has a cool look to it. It poured a darker brown color that took on some dark ruby hues when held to the light with two and a half fingers worth of tan head that quickly died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left a little bit of lacing behind. This beer looked ok, but the color was a little light for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of malts that are caramel and medium roasted and also impart some chocolate aromas. After that comes an earthy and grainy aroma followed by a familiar lager yeast aroma. The aroma was ok, but it wasn't as roasty and robust as most Baltic Porters, the yeast seemed to stick out a little too much also.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness along with a good amount of caramel and roasted malts that impart some grainy, caramel, chocolate, and some lighter roasted flavors. Up next comes an earthy flavor followed by some of the yeast that I picked up in the aroma. On the finish it had a lighter amount of bitterness with no trace of alcohol and it had a lightly roasted and sweet aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting Baltic Porter, it wasn't as roasted and rich as it should, it tasted watered down.

M- Pretty smooth, a little creamy, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty average, it was going in the right direction but when it came to the body it was just too light and thin for the style.

Overall I wasn't too impressed with this beer and I thought it was an average at best example of the style, all the aspects of this beer seemed to be much lighter then they should be and it didn't come together the way that a good Baltic Porter should. This beer had ok drinkability, it was pretty smooth and on the lighter side, but the flavors just didn't hold my attention and one is enough for me, I wouldn't want any more than that. What I liked the most about this beer was price, if this was $10 I would be very disappointed, but I think it's priced reasonably. What I liked the least about this beer was how much lighter most of the aspects of this beer were compared to most Baltic Porters, it just seemed to be lacking in every aspect. I wouldn't buy this beer again, I would much rather have a Thirsty Trout Porter and it's a way better Baltic Porter and it costs less, I wouldn't recommend it to my friends. All in all this beer left me wanting more and I don't think it did the style justice. IT seems like Victory is pretty hit or miss for me and this was another miss, better luck next time guys.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Was interested to see how this compared to Heavyweight's Perkunno's Hammer since the Hammer used to be one of my favorites (before the 2nd or 3rd revision anyway) and although this was not a bad beer, didn't live up to my expectations even though my scoring was compared to other baltic porters.

Nice thick mouthfeel but lacking that creaminess that the Hammer had, decent fruity flavors from the malt/yeast, but dark malt flavors were a bit one dimensional (carafa?). A bit unbalanced for my tastes since it was laden with sweet malt without having good balance from hops or alcohol which made it cloying after a half a pint. Couldn't finish the bomber, but saved the rest to make french onion soup.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from Bottle into Snifter glass.

Pours a deep brown/black, almost a dark cola, with a thick, fizzy tan colored head that quickly dissolves into a fine ring and head that remains atop the glass. The aroma is slight roasted malts, burnt toast and vanilla extract. Flavor is roasted malts upfront followed bitter chocolate, cocoa, more vanilla extract and finishes sweet and a little dry. It has a thin body with a great deal of carbonation. The vanilla extract feature in this beer is overly pronounced and the body is pretty thin. Besides those downfalls its not a bad beer and has some other tasty features but I think I may pass the next time I see this available.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

22 oz picked up in Buffalo a while ago.

Pours a clear dark reddish brown, quite nice held up to the light, very thick light tan head forms, drops some decent lacing on its way down, sticks to a solid layer and ring around the glass, nice retention. Smell is neat, caramel, dark fruits, raisins, light chocolate, very malty, cake, bit of vanilla, some floral, almost a light smokiness, aroma is subdued for its strength though. Taste is not too pleasant, a bit nutty, caramel, roast, bready, raisins, iron, a bit of floral and a light sourness in the finish, malty but really bland. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light to medium carbonation, goes down easy for 8.5% but I was expecting a lot more considing how genius Perkuno's Hammer was, quite a let down by Victory. I was going to do a side by side with Perkuno but Baltic Thunder is not worthy of that.

3.14/5  rDev -18.9%

On-tap at Bocktown Beer and Grill

A nice beer, but I can't say I'm impressed. Maybe the hype just raised the expectations too high, but I rather think this beer just doesn't quite match the other baltics I've had.

At first I got a big, juicy sweet cherry flavor, followed by chocolate (chocolate covered cherries maybe). Then there was a little bit of toffee grains and a bit of alcohol. I also pulled some vegetal DMS aroma out of here and didn't get much of an aftertaste. Overall, I was disappointed, but this found it to be an agreeable beer.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber- pours a dark ruby with two finder beige head. Nose- sweet dark fruits, faint sweet malts. Taste- earthy, medium roast, stale sweetness. Light to medium body, roasty finsih. Nothing too exciting here, but drinkability isn't too bad. Not picking up the beans that have been added

3.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass; near-black with almost no head or lacing. The smell was near-sickeningly sweet, with raisin, overripe plum, dark chocolate, wood, and alcohol. Smells like an imbalanced dubbel or a decent Russian imp. stout. The flavor was dominated by syrupy-sweet chocolate-covered raisins soaked in alcohol, with an after-burn. There really isn't any qualities about this beer to call a 'porter' to mind; even the texture seemed a little off; more syrupy like an RIS rather than a creamy porter. I realize that this is supposed to be a hybrid style, but a hybrid usually exhibits qualities of the two styles in question, and this one doesn't. Thankfully I had some Hop Wallop on hand to bat clean-up.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Consumed November 9th, 2011 at Boho, Hollywood, CA.

Beer is a very deep but crystal clear brown with a smooth one finger off white head.

Aromas of nuts and dashes of smoke.

Flavor is mostly a somewhat sweet, nutty smoked malt affair with traces of vanilla. What's lacking is the promised chocolate and/or coffee flavors. Perhaps the keg had been on too long? Some bitterness on finish, but fairly minimal.

Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than standard for a porter; again, falling somewhat short of my expectations.

I finished the pint faster than I thought I would, but I am not in a big hurry to have another pull off this keg. Would like to try it again sometime, though.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a DFH Snifter

A - Ruby brown pour with a fizzy, one finger, two-toned head (medium brown and toasted marshmallow). Head dissipates rapidly and leaves very little behind...almost makes me think I cleaned my glass wrong (but I didn't). Lacing minimal.

S - Malty nose has bits of brown sugar, molasses, caramel, and something of a somewhat spicy quality

T&M - Big caramel and dark roasted malt hit with a defined sweetness. Hops are on the lighter side, as they should be, and bring a bit of balance with an earthy, herbal and somewhat peppery bit. Alcohol is well hidden, with just a touch of solvency in the finish, with a lingering, almost sticky finish. Seems a bit thin...lighter medium body

D - Honestly, I think I was expecting a bit more from this one. It feels very "minimal" to me, and the solvency seemed to build over the course of the drink. Sweetness also seemed to build over time...not a bad beer by any stretch, but one I'm not likely to revisit

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle: Poured a black color porter with an average size foamy head with average retention and some light lacing. Aroma is a mix of roasted malt with light bitter notes and medium black chocolate. Taste is also a nice enough mix between some roasted malt with notes of black chocolate. Body is about average with no apparent alcohol and some good carbonation. I was expecting a lot more character and must admit to having been slightly disappointed.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Served cool in a standard pint.

Pours light, not much head, color was medium dark brown, mahogany, leaves negligible lacing.

Aroma is full of sweet maltiness, toastiness, honey malt and toffee. Strong woody earthiness--hops or yeast?

Flavor is malty and sweet with some dark fruitiness, not notably chocolately or roasty at all. Like concentrated Old Speckled Hen.

Goes down easy enough, not as heavy as I expected. No alcohol warmth or flavor.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.
Poured a little lighter than expected.

Meduim brown/black color with an offwhite colored head. Slight aroma of dark malt, coffe, and chocolate. Interesting flavor upon first taste. Bitter up front with an almost faint hint of a celery taste. Weird, I know. Maybe its the mix of booze taste and the hops/malt combo.

Tasty but at the same time not really a stand out either.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Brown body with red highlights, good clarity, and a light tan head of loudly fizzy micro bubbles which looks like a coca cola head breaking down in slow motion.

Pleasant aroma mixes chocolate, coffee and bits of dark fruit.

Taste comes by with breakneck spped. Bits of coffee and cocoa. Touch of earty hops. Big fruity finish is very nice.

Mouthfeel is too thin. Drinkability is easy but not as interesting as hoped.

An ok beer that is burdened by its history and suffered a difficult birth. Expecting far more from the next batch.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

This is a great example of why hyping up a beer can be a bad thing. The amount of beergeeks excited to try this was insane due to the brewing press release, big news to see Tom Baker teaming up with Victory. Then the wait with all the legal bullshit, and what follows is a blend of trying to get this one right before the big release. Well, they didn't get much right in my eyes and I'm going to try it again. Had it thrice on tap and I will be investing in a bomber, but I'm weary. No many gripes with appeaance except for head retention, poured pitch black in body much like I recall the Hammer forming a thin tan head leaving thin scant speckled lacing. I remember the Perkuno's to have texture all day with lacing throughout each pint. I think the change of the beans altered the protein count therefore affecting head. Aromatics I'm getting sweet dried fruits with some tart acidic mild offensive tones going on, chocolate roasts play nice with figs and plum fruitiness. Some mild booziness with lingering herbal hop notes comes late. Flavors insert ripe or dried concentrated fruit flavor whether it comes off plum, fig, or raisin I'd definitely call it some what vinous. Dark dry roasted malt lacking the complex mix of flavors the Hammer always provided but my point is that fruit and dark chocolate with a mildy cloying dark chocolate syrup comes off one dimensional in the flavor. Mouthfeel is full bodied assertive carbonation a bit unnatural with words like thin and blah entering my brain. Drinkability, no doubt any brew from Victory is going to be a solid player, good dark beer but never try to relive a classic craft brew like Perkuno's Imperial Hammer if you're not going to truly bring it to the table. Definitely not our beloved Hammer but Baltic Thunder I'm sure will be getting better with some age, right now it really lacks complexity.

3.26/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz brown bomber poured into a tulip glass not the recomended glass,just wanted to use this glass. Poured an opaque mahogany color,reminded me of a wine color. A short lived creamy light tan head that left an everlasting collar with some tiny bubbles surging from the sides of the glass only noticable at the upper half of the glass and not even a spot of lacing.

Dark fruity nose with roastyness some subtle burnt notes.Prunes and raisins dominate the fruitiness,dark chocolate,slightly vinious with overrippen fruit sweetness. A good pleasing aroma a bit on the fainter side.

A creamy roastyness up frount with a layered dark fruitness followed by baker chocolate has a nice sharp clean dry bitterness,tangy with a chocolaty fade. A lighter body than expected nice creamyness.The alcohol was well hidden. Still not a beer i could drink a lot of. A nice Baltic would prefer Duck Rabbit if i had to pick from the two. I bought a case when it first came out, it had mellowed a bit yet still close to when it was fresh.Not a beer that's worthy of aging to me, said drink by Dec08 on side of case.

3.26/5  rDev -15.8%

This beer pours a clear dark DEEP brown, that when held to the light has some reddish tinge to it. A thick light tan head forms with decent retention. Lacing is left the entire way down the glass. Smell is of caramel, light chocolate, very malty, aroma is subdued for its strength though. Taste leaves a bit to be desired. It is a bit nutty, caramel, a bit of sourness in the finish, malty but really bland. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light to medium carbonation. Not a bad beer, but not one that I will pick up again.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

On tap poured into tulip at Stuff Yer Face, New Brunswick.

Had this beer on Tap at Capone's in Norristown, PA.

A: Dark brown almost black with a dark tan head.

S: Coffee and chocolate malts. Some alcohol here.

T: Sweet and chocolatey, didnt really catch the coffee that was in the smell. Very little hops and have to admit to being a bit let down.

M: Somewhat oily for the style and the alc did have a warming effect.

D: Not a favorite and a bit too chocolatey and chewy for my liking.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

Appearance -- Pours into the glass like dark maple syrup. Dark in the glass, but when held up to light it is a clear, deep ruby hue. Beautiful, but not for a Baltic Porter.

Smell -- Raisin, caramel, dark roast, and baker's chocolate.

Taste -- Mild dark roast flavors are immediate: cocoa, char, some faint smoke. There's quite a bit of fruity sweetness, particularly raisin and date, as well as caramel and toffee. The finish is mildly roasty with some residual caramel/toffee sweetness. Overall, rich and dark, but more in the vein of a strong dark ale or old ale.

Mouthfeel -- Medium to full in body. Mild carbonation makes it creamy.

Drinkability -- I felt like I was docking this for points against my better judgement, but that's what happens when you rate to style. It misses a number of the hallmarks for an exceptional Baltic Porter, mostly in the appearance and flavor profiles. If you told me this was a strong dark ale, I would have believed you. I also would have graded this a B+/A-.

That said, it's a delicious beer, whatever it is. I enjoyed it considerably.

3.28/5  rDev -15.2%

22 oz bomber poured into a pint glass. I really like the packaging of this beer. However, I am generally not a fan of Baltic Porters, but I will try to be objective.

A: Very dark, but clear deep brown/black with deep red hue against the light. Tawny head that dissipates pretty quickly without any lacing.
S: Slightly hot, bitter, fruity. Not really feeling this too much. There's a lot going on, smells good for a baltic porter but I'm not crazy about it. Not enough malt or hop presence.
T: Not quite as bitter as expected. Bitterness is more sweet, with a fruity taste and not much in the way of malt/coffee, etc. Slight burnt/toasted malt flavor. I like this better than most beers of this style, but still not crazy about it. I'd like more a malt presence.
M: Thinner than expected, slightly watery in the finish, medium body and creamy with moderate carbonation.
D: It took a while for me to finish the bottle and I didn't particularly enjoy it. It's a nice beer, subtler than I expected, but overall I'm just not impressed.

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I have been wanting this beer for a long time. After drinking it I wonder why I bothered. A lager interpretation of the style. Pours a dark brown color with a small tan head. The head settles to a thin cap. Just a little lacing is left on the glass. Has a clean lager aroma with hints of nuts and toffee. The flavor likewise clean and non offensive. It also lacks charactor. Hints of roasted nuts and chcolate. The body is really weak. This is suppose to be a bigger porter. It is thin and watery. Really weak. Thankfully the carbonation is not overdone. I am not impressed at all with this beer. Could use a lot more flavor and interesting flavor at that. Drinkable for sure but I will not be coming back.

3.3/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A-dark coffee brown with a lace trim

S-roasted malts, sweet like caramel or toffee

T-somewhat thin, but tastes of sweet roasted malt, toffee

M-dry, low to medium carbonation, a little thin

D-with a name like Thunder I would think the beer would pack a bit more of a punch, overall a good beer, just wish there was a bit more to it

3.33/5  rDev -14%

Victory Baltic Thunder pours the darkest of browns, with a small off white head. No lace to speak of really.

Smells of bready malt with a vague roastedness.

Tastes fruity upfront, reminiscent of a port wine, with a charred toasted malt aftertaste. This charred flavor became more prominant as the beer approaches room temperature. Slight alcohol finish at the end along with a more smokey, tobacco like flavor.

Mouthfeel is smooth and a bit slick on the palate.

This is a pretty decent offering from Victory. Drinks easy enough at 8%. Worthy.

3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

22oz bomber into a nonic.

Dark, nearly opaque brown except for some ruby red lines at the bottom of the glass. When held up to light, there is also a slight red glow toward the bottom of the glass where it is the thinnest. A thick one finger frothy head slowly settles to a thick cap.

Light chocolate and coffee aromas on top of a burnt malt base. The aroma is a little weak for the style. Generally these are heavy, almost like an Russian Imperial Stout. Stringy lacing along the glass.

Unfortueately, the flavor is a little weak in this one. Instead of the thick, oily, coating, and heavy feel inside the mouth, you get a medium bodied mix of burnt malt and maybe some mild chocolate. The beer is getting up there in terms of %ABV, but the alcohol is pretty tame (which is a good thing, in my opinion). The finish is some lingering grain, and maybe a touch of hop bitterness.

This isn't a bad beer at all, it's just a little bland for the syle. From my experience with the style, I feel a Baltic Porter should be a thick and chewy lager version (although Porters are generally ales, most BPs use lager yeast) of an RIS. That being said, it's still enjoyable, and it's sure to please someone's palate. Recommended (barely).

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

A: Chocolately brown pour, dk tan head. Foam dissipates rapidly, leaving light lace, moderate collar, moderate legs. Nice garnet highlights when backlit.

S: Earthy initial aroma - I originally thought yeast-related. Rich toasty & chocolately aromas with slight roasted notes. As it warms, the earthiness appears to be hop-related, and the underlying malt is clean. Some vinous alcohol notes appear with the warming.

T: A bit high on roast -- hits the tongue up front, and is the most prominent flavor. Missing the expected dark fruit, caramel, toffee -- chocolatey rather than complex malt. Fairly bitter and some earthy hop flavor showing through. Slight alcohol tang. Either bitterness or alcohol bite lingers in aftertaste.

M: Medium full body, medium carbonation. Alcohol warming is pleasant and fairly significant.

D: Smoooth but fairly heavy.

Overall: Fairly one-dimensional -- pleasant, but without the malt complexity that normally characterizes style. Roast is a little overwhelming -- needs a lighter touch.

3.37/5  rDev -12.9%

The pour is smooth and easily managed. Thin head sits above a dark brown body.

Malty and earthy. Charcoal, Mild Smoke, Toasted malts lean up against a sweetened molasses, licorice balancer. This is easy to drink but lacks any kind of hop presence to keep it fresh. Its rich and one sided. A bomber is a bit much in one sitting.

I'm usually into the style but this is not for me. I can tell its put together well for a desert type pairing but for gobbling during a ball game it does not fit. Save this one for a nightcapper with some rich cake etc...

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown