Baltic Thunder | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

victorybeer.com

Style: Baltic Porter

Added by akorsak on 01-05-2008

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Was interested to see how this compared to Heavyweight's Perkunno's Hammer since the Hammer used to be one of my favorites (before the 2nd or 3rd revision anyway) and although this was not a bad beer, didn't live up to my expectations even though my scoring was compared to other baltic porters.

Nice thick mouthfeel but lacking that creaminess that the Hammer had, decent fruity flavors from the malt/yeast, but dark malt flavors were a bit one dimensional (carafa?). A bit unbalanced for my tastes since it was laden with sweet malt without having good balance from hops or alcohol which made it cloying after a half a pint. Couldn't finish the bomber, but saved the rest to make french onion soup.

3.1/5  rDev -19.9%

Poured from Bottle into Snifter glass.

Pours a deep brown/black, almost a dark cola, with a thick, fizzy tan colored head that quickly dissolves into a fine ring and head that remains atop the glass. The aroma is slight roasted malts, burnt toast and vanilla extract. Flavor is roasted malts upfront followed bitter chocolate, cocoa, more vanilla extract and finishes sweet and a little dry. It has a thin body with a great deal of carbonation. The vanilla extract feature in this beer is overly pronounced and the body is pretty thin. Besides those downfalls its not a bad beer and has some other tasty features but I think I may pass the next time I see this available.

3.11/5  rDev -19.6%

22 oz picked up in Buffalo a while ago.

Pours a clear dark reddish brown, quite nice held up to the light, very thick light tan head forms, drops some decent lacing on its way down, sticks to a solid layer and ring around the glass, nice retention. Smell is neat, caramel, dark fruits, raisins, light chocolate, very malty, cake, bit of vanilla, some floral, almost a light smokiness, aroma is subdued for its strength though. Taste is not too pleasant, a bit nutty, caramel, roast, bready, raisins, iron, a bit of floral and a light sourness in the finish, malty but really bland. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light to medium carbonation, goes down easy for 8.5% but I was expecting a lot more considing how genius Perkuno's Hammer was, quite a let down by Victory. I was going to do a side by side with Perkuno but Baltic Thunder is not worthy of that.

3.14/5  rDev -18.9%

On-tap at Bocktown Beer and Grill

A nice beer, but I can't say I'm impressed. Maybe the hype just raised the expectations too high, but I rather think this beer just doesn't quite match the other baltics I've had.

At first I got a big, juicy sweet cherry flavor, followed by chocolate (chocolate covered cherries maybe). Then there was a little bit of toffee grains and a bit of alcohol. I also pulled some vegetal DMS aroma out of here and didn't get much of an aftertaste. Overall, I was disappointed, but this found it to be an agreeable beer.

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

Bomber- pours a dark ruby with two finder beige head. Nose- sweet dark fruits, faint sweet malts. Taste- earthy, medium roast, stale sweetness. Light to medium body, roasty finsih. Nothing too exciting here, but drinkability isn't too bad. Not picking up the beans that have been added

3.17/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass; near-black with almost no head or lacing. The smell was near-sickeningly sweet, with raisin, overripe plum, dark chocolate, wood, and alcohol. Smells like an imbalanced dubbel or a decent Russian imp. stout. The flavor was dominated by syrupy-sweet chocolate-covered raisins soaked in alcohol, with an after-burn. There really isn't any qualities about this beer to call a 'porter' to mind; even the texture seemed a little off; more syrupy like an RIS rather than a creamy porter. I realize that this is supposed to be a hybrid style, but a hybrid usually exhibits qualities of the two styles in question, and this one doesn't. Thankfully I had some Hop Wallop on hand to bat clean-up.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Consumed November 9th, 2011 at Boho, Hollywood, CA.

Beer is a very deep but crystal clear brown with a smooth one finger off white head.

Aromas of nuts and dashes of smoke.

Flavor is mostly a somewhat sweet, nutty smoked malt affair with traces of vanilla. What's lacking is the promised chocolate and/or coffee flavors. Perhaps the keg had been on too long? Some bitterness on finish, but fairly minimal.

Mouthfeel is slightly thicker than standard for a porter; again, falling somewhat short of my expectations.

I finished the pint faster than I thought I would, but I am not in a big hurry to have another pull off this keg. Would like to try it again sometime, though.

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a DFH Snifter

A - Ruby brown pour with a fizzy, one finger, two-toned head (medium brown and toasted marshmallow). Head dissipates rapidly and leaves very little behind...almost makes me think I cleaned my glass wrong (but I didn't). Lacing minimal.

S - Malty nose has bits of brown sugar, molasses, caramel, and something of a somewhat spicy quality

T&M - Big caramel and dark roasted malt hit with a defined sweetness. Hops are on the lighter side, as they should be, and bring a bit of balance with an earthy, herbal and somewhat peppery bit. Alcohol is well hidden, with just a touch of solvency in the finish, with a lingering, almost sticky finish. Seems a bit thin...lighter medium body

D - Honestly, I think I was expecting a bit more from this one. It feels very "minimal" to me, and the solvency seemed to build over the course of the drink. Sweetness also seemed to build over time...not a bad beer by any stretch, but one I'm not likely to revisit

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Bottle: Poured a black color porter with an average size foamy head with average retention and some light lacing. Aroma is a mix of roasted malt with light bitter notes and medium black chocolate. Taste is also a nice enough mix between some roasted malt with notes of black chocolate. Body is about average with no apparent alcohol and some good carbonation. I was expecting a lot more character and must admit to having been slightly disappointed.

3.2/5  rDev -17.3%

Served cool in a standard pint.

Pours light, not much head, color was medium dark brown, mahogany, leaves negligible lacing.

Aroma is full of sweet maltiness, toastiness, honey malt and toffee. Strong woody earthiness--hops or yeast?

Flavor is malty and sweet with some dark fruitiness, not notably chocolately or roasty at all. Like concentrated Old Speckled Hen.

Goes down easy enough, not as heavy as I expected. No alcohol warmth or flavor.

3.21/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.
Poured a little lighter than expected.

Meduim brown/black color with an offwhite colored head. Slight aroma of dark malt, coffe, and chocolate. Interesting flavor upon first taste. Bitter up front with an almost faint hint of a celery taste. Weird, I know. Maybe its the mix of booze taste and the hops/malt combo.

Tasty but at the same time not really a stand out either.

3.23/5  rDev -16.5%

Brown body with red highlights, good clarity, and a light tan head of loudly fizzy micro bubbles which looks like a coca cola head breaking down in slow motion.

Pleasant aroma mixes chocolate, coffee and bits of dark fruit.

Taste comes by with breakneck spped. Bits of coffee and cocoa. Touch of earty hops. Big fruity finish is very nice.

Mouthfeel is too thin. Drinkability is easy but not as interesting as hoped.

An ok beer that is burdened by its history and suffered a difficult birth. Expecting far more from the next batch.

3.25/5  rDev -16%

This is a great example of why hyping up a beer can be a bad thing. The amount of beergeeks excited to try this was insane due to the brewing press release, big news to see Tom Baker teaming up with Victory. Then the wait with all the legal bullshit, and what follows is a blend of trying to get this one right before the big release. Well, they didn't get much right in my eyes and I'm going to try it again. Had it thrice on tap and I will be investing in a bomber, but I'm weary. No many gripes with appeaance except for head retention, poured pitch black in body much like I recall the Hammer forming a thin tan head leaving thin scant speckled lacing. I remember the Perkuno's to have texture all day with lacing throughout each pint. I think the change of the beans altered the protein count therefore affecting head. Aromatics I'm getting sweet dried fruits with some tart acidic mild offensive tones going on, chocolate roasts play nice with figs and plum fruitiness. Some mild booziness with lingering herbal hop notes comes late. Flavors insert ripe or dried concentrated fruit flavor whether it comes off plum, fig, or raisin I'd definitely call it some what vinous. Dark dry roasted malt lacking the complex mix of flavors the Hammer always provided but my point is that fruit and dark chocolate with a mildy cloying dark chocolate syrup comes off one dimensional in the flavor. Mouthfeel is full bodied assertive carbonation a bit unnatural with words like thin and blah entering my brain. Drinkability, no doubt any brew from Victory is going to be a solid player, good dark beer but never try to relive a classic craft brew like Perkuno's Imperial Hammer if you're not going to truly bring it to the table. Definitely not our beloved Hammer but Baltic Thunder I'm sure will be getting better with some age, right now it really lacks complexity.

3.25/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Baltic Thunder from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown