Wild Devil | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American IPA

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.

Added by Kadonny on 05-08-2008

Ratings: 1,272 |  Reviews: 532
2.25/5  rDev -41.6%

2.36/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Very unpleasant beer. Hop bomb that does not hide the ABV at all and has little to no sour or funk. Victory never fails to disappoint me.

2.41/5  rDev -37.4%

Appearance: Amber, Large decent head

Smell: spicey, farm

Taste: Sharp, funky, wheaty flavor

Mouthfeel: Medium

Drinkability: Okay. Not sure if I enjoy the wild ales but this beer seemed decent and according to the reviews there is a market for it.

2.46/5  rDev -36.1%

Bottled on April 22nd, 2009. Quite disappointed in the dating since this was a new sight for me at the store. Poured into my Maudite tulip.

Appearance - Four full fingers of head that dissipate quickly into the glass. Soapy and very porous head qualities end up creating a clumpy froth in the end. The beer itself is murky pale brown that is quite bland looking. Opaque and appears to be thick and heavy. All in all, I am not too impressed with this beers appearance.

Smell - Uh oh. This smells like a baby's soured diaper. Well that's not any good at all. The slight tart citrus in the background is just completely masked by. . . well. Waste. This smells just absolutely horrible. A tart Belgian yeast smell lingers but is unpleasant.

Taste - Thankfully the taste is better than the smell. A very Belgian-like feel to this beer overall. Very full of yeast and lemongrass. Slightly sour and tart from start to finish. Not nearly as hoppy as expected; especially being derived from Hop Devil. Despite my love for sours, the slight tartness couldn't save this beer for me. It's just very rotten tasting overall. I did enjoy some redeeming qualities; such as the slight spice and brett yeast used.

Mouthfeel / Drinkability - An extraordinarily dry beer that leaves the tongue asking for water. As soon as I swallow, my mouth feels as parched a desert; like the liquid just disappeared into nowhere. Light bodied and appears too heavily carbonated at times. I was excited for this beer, thinking it would be different and unique. But it was a huge letdown for me. Not sure why this was even on the shelf. Perhaps they found it in the back? Either way, If I see a newer release I won't hesitate to pick it up and compare notes. But the taste itself does not appear to be skunked or infected.

2.51/5  rDev -34.8%

Served from a corked ad caged bomber. I noticed after pouring that bottling date is from 2009! Should be interesting to review a 3 yr old Belgian IPA.

A - Hazy copper gold. A very pretty beer that proves crystal clear beers aren't always the best looking.

S - Lots of Brett. Maybe a little hoppyness in the background.

T - Brett, Brett, and more Brett. What can I say? This beer has been overpowered by the Brett funk. I can't detect any hops or grain, only Brett.

M - Light and somewhat creamy with a small prickle from the carbonation. I was expecting a lot of carbonated bite because it foamed over when I pulled the cork and even more when I poured the first glass. Very enjoyable mouthfeel despite the overpowering Brett.

O - I suppose age has not treated the Hop Devil kindly because the Brett has overpowered the taste. It's really a shame. I wish I could've tried this one fresh.

2.58/5  rDev -33%

Poured into a wine glass. I love Hop Devil and sour beers, let's get it on!
A: Gentle pour yields 2 fingers of just off-white head with great retention. Hazy copper orange-gold liquid. Beautiful
S: Tart cherry, bright citrus hop. Wow! Layer of sweet caramel underneath. Really interesting and inviting. Dusty aspirin, a little cat pee?
T: Very dry and tart. Overwhelming wildness. Very funky. Horrible mediciney aftertaste, like a chewed up tablet of aspirin. No malt or hop is apparent!
M: Poor. Too dry and chalky and mediciney
D: Poor. I am forcing myself to drink another sip hoping it is better.

2.66/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A corked and caged 750 mL bottle recently sent from inlimbo77; thank you! Bottled on 09/21/2011, so over two years old at this point. "Poured" into a DFH signature glass...

To start, it’s vastly over-carbonated as so many others have said. Upon popping the cork, it began gushing out of the bottle. Luckily, I was prepared and and able to start pouring/collecting into a glass right away. On the pour (of actual liquid, mind you) a massive amount of head develops, so much that 99% of the glass is nothing but foam. I had to let the foam settle into liquid before drinking.

Once it had settled to a manageable amount, the liquid was a translucent golden orange color with some copper hues. The head is an eggshell white that is very foamy/sudsy, and does hang around for quite a while.

The aroma is of tart citrus, primarily lemon, tart apple, sour pear, some faint peach, and just tart fruits in general. Behind that is quite a bit of straw/hay, various other light grains, some grass, and barely an inkling of hops. Plenty of yeast to be had as well; it smells more like a saison than any IPA, though it is not offputting.

It tastes of tart fruits, primarily pear and lemon, some grains, straw, hay, a funky yeast flavor, pine, and various floral grasses. Hops have almost completely mellowed out and vanished, and this is pretty mild and lackluster in flavor. Not bad, but not amusing either. A bit of a chalky/soapy aftertaste to it.

Mouthfeel is thin and watery after the excess in carbonation had finally been dispelled. It seems so much of it was in a rush to escape that no carbonation bothered to stay dissolved. It finishes clean with a slightly dry aftertaste, and iis very appealing in that respect.

Overall, this isn't much of an IPA anymore, which I've tried to reflect in the score. I will say, though, that it does make for a pretty decent brett-inoculated saison, having plenty of tart fruit esters and light grains. I find it curious to see how, over the course of a couple of years, this one has changed so much to seemingly warrant a reclassification. That said, don't shy away from trying this one in your travels as there's plenty of enjoyment to be found in it, but don't expect it to be an IPA of any kind.

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Leaves an aftertaste of gunk in the mouth, no bueno

2.73/5  rDev -29.1%

Massive head over clear copper liquid. Nose is cherries and sour funk. Wow this is bitter. On the dryish side with a chalky earth and intense bitterness. Acidity is much lower than expected. Otherwise, getting the barest hint of some grapefruit. I'm a little underwhelmed by this one - the unbalanced bitterness obliterates any subtleties. I'm not loving this.

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown