Wild Devil | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American IPA

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.

Added by Kadonny on 05-08-2008

Ratings: 1,271 |  Reviews: 532
3.58/5  rDev -7%

750ml bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy copper color. The head is two fingers high, with an off-white shade. Retention is decent, with the head also having a frothy, almost oily texture. There are some inconsistent pockets of lacing left on the glass. (3.25)

Smell: One of my friends complained about how this didn't have any perceptible brett. Well, I'm here to call baloney, because the notes of funk, earth, fruits, and *faint* vinegar are unmistakably the work of brett. Of course, the base beer is still prevalent (with its caramel-laden malts and peppery hop notes), but I'm happy to report that it brings a nice brett quality. Not in your face, but this is definitely reminiscent of Orval. And I like me some Orval. (3.75)

Taste: Brett is less evident here. It starts off with some black pepper and pine flavor, before transitioning into sweet caramel malts. After a bit of time, the malts develop a nutty flavor. The brett qualities are gentle on the flavor profile...but if I concentrate, and taste this beer carefully, I pick up notes of earth, funk, and fruitiness decently enough. I'd be interested to see how this develops with some age on it. (3.75)

Mouthfeel: It's not quite as dry as I like my brett-laden ales to be. The body is medium-full and a moderate amount of sweetness lingers on the palate. I'd even suggest the carbonation is low next to something like Orval or Rayon Vert. This is the weak link of the brew: too much sweetness is left behind, and the (relative) lack of carbonation makes it feel somewhat lifeless. (2.75)

Overall: Right now, it's pretty much HopDevil with a funky kiss - ergo, not really worth $8-9/750 when HopDevil sits around the same price for a 6 pack. Key words, right now. Aging an IPA sounds apocryphal (and it is), but I'm still really intrigued to find out how the brett develops with at least year of age. And for that reason, it's actually well worth picking up a bottle instead. (3.5)

3.58/5: Interesting twist on a solid IPA; worth trying and even worth aging

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Bottle dated June 10.
Pours a bit orange but pretty clear, with nice head and decent lacing. Pretty nice looking beer. The smell is a bit of honey, melon, and a strange bite that I initially took as alcohol, but became less like it later. I am guessing this might be the Brett from reading reviews, but couldn't recognize it myself.

The taste has a bit if a malt beginning (honey like), with the funkiness that again must be the Brett. The beer seems a bit crisp with nice carbonation. This melds with a light herbal bitterness the lingers the rest of the taste. The interesting part if this beer is actually more in what I consider feel. The carbonation adds a perceived spiciness, but as that mellows, the feel and taste lead to a smooth end (at temp).

Overall, this is a well made beer, maybe a slight bit on the malty side, but overall pretty balanced. There is some earthy feel to it, but it doesn't quite seem as dry as other Belgian IPAs I've had. I actually thought it was an APA until I double checked.

Edit: I noticed a bit more of the yeast taste as I got to the bottom of the glass. Others noted it as being more prevalent than I noticed. When I have again, I'll have to see if I still miss it.

3.92/5  rDev +1.8%