Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Wild Devil | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

YOUR RATING = None |
Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American IPA

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.

Added by Kadonny on 05-08-2008

Reviews: 532 | Ratings: 1,264
3.26/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Beneath a billowing stack of sandy froth is a crimson bronze liquid that is mostly obscured by haze.
Aromatic primarily of pine and lemon rind, with fainter, brett-derived notions of suede and sandalwood. Malt fails to scratch out much (or seemingly any) room, scent-wise.
More in line with it's unwild sibling, tastewise. Lightly toasty and nutty maltiness. Pine dominated hop, with some lagging citric oils, and peppery dry grasses. Funk is not nearly as pronounced as in the aroma, but some dry, leatheriness and increased lemony sour-bitterness are noted.
Light bodied, any sort of malt backbone is broken immediately by the gushing carbonation that never really settles down.
The increased dryness actually boosts the drinkability a bit, as it is nearly parchingly arid.
In full disclosure, I'm not wild about HopDevil, and I'm equally nonplussed about the Brett treatment here.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a hazy gold/amber. A moderate pour produced a monumental foamy white head that overwhelmed my tulip.

S-earthy, yeasty, a bit of hops and spice.

T-Fruity, with a malty sweetness and a bit of floral hops.

M-Very harsh carbonation (as you'd expect from the mammoth head) made it unpleasant. A bit thin as well.

D-I couldn't finish the bomber. The carbonation was too much.

If you like Belgians and sharp carbonation, you'll probably get into this one. But it was a bit much for me.

I give it credit as a true representative of the style in A, S & T, but the mouthfeel and drinkability just weren't there.

3.27/5  rDev -15.1%

Appearance: Dark amber beer with pretty heavy condensation and a very thick head on the pour. Relatively see through beer. This goes against what the description says.

Smell: Lots of hops were used to brew this beer, it has a moderate floral aroma. Smells great.

Taste: Very hoppy, i do enjoy the taste of this beer except i think its pretty average. Nothing sticks out to me.

Mouthfeel: Light beer with not much condensation makes this very drinkable.

Overall: I could see myself drinking this beer again. I would recommend this, but i would make sure to say it is average at best.

3.27/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a dark amber color with some slight haze. Head billows to the top quickly, but sustains to a fluffy & light 1" topper. Sticks to the glass as it dissipates.

A bit of sweet fruits on the nose right away with some rather weak biscuity-hoppiness coming through.

Not as sweet as I expected for a "belgian IPA". I thought it'd have a bit more spice. However, a sharp biscuit flavor hits my palate with a nice floral resonance throughout my mouth and palate. Finish dries out a bit with just a bit of alcohol "twang" on the finish. Nothing real fancy however in my opinion. Peppery I guess as well.

Sharp carbonation on the sip with a smootness coming quickly all through the swallow. A bit of drying on the tip of my tongue and some tingling.

I'll finish the bottle, and I'd drink again, but I like Hopdevil enough not to spend the extra dough on this one.

22oz Corked Bomber

A: Cloudy yellow, dark, yeasty. HUGE Foamy head. It was a gusher after I popped the cork overflowing all over the counter.

S; Very Belgian brett funk, slightly Hoppy.

T: Earthy, mild bitterness. I like more hop bite and sweetness from an IPA, and the belgian yeast seems to cut down on that.

M: Smooth

D: Not what I expected. Leans more toward a Belgian and it's not my favorite style.

750ml bottle (from Binny's in Orland Park) poured into a pint glass

Pours vague ruby-amber with a HUGE lumpy head and super lacing. Very slightly cloudy. Smell is interesting and not altogether pleasant. Smells a little sour, slightly soapy, dingy. Old wet clothes.

Taste is sour and bitter, soapy, cilantro. Hoppy, of course. Grapefruit sourness. Very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is dry, heavy, and pleasant. Soapiness of the taste makes it a little difficult to drink.

3.28/5  rDev -14.8%

A Belgian IPA, the union of two popular styles.

Appearance: A nice golden yet hazy color with red hues. My beer poured with heavy head so the carbonation was light during consumption.

Smell: A mild aroma, nothing too crazy to the senses. The IPA fragrances mix with the Belgian frangrances, counteracting some of the signature scents of the IPA and the Belgian.

Taste: Part IPA, part Belgian. I have friends who love Belgians and friends who love IPAs while hating the other. My friends all enjoyed (but didn't love) this beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and tame

Drinkability: It came in a bomber bottle, which aside from some test sips from friends, I finished by myself. After the initial taste, the beer moved well and I never got tired of it.

Special Note: I know a bartender at Victory and he says that it gets better after it ages a year. I will review again after a year (or significant time passing by)

3.29/5  rDev -14.5%

Clear, golden amber with a huge, poofy head. The foam laces very nicely all the way down the glass, in big frothy clumps.
Smells mostly floral, with a touch of green apple. I'm not getting much in the way of funk. Some mousiness is there, but not much. Certainly different from Hop Devil.
Wow! The flavor is much funkier than the smell. Toasty malt sweetness immediately gives way to harsh, bretty, jam-band level funkiness. It basically dominates the beer. Medium/full bodied, with very assertive carbonation. Not much in the way of sourness, or at least it's buried under significant hop bitters in the finish. Prominent barnyard flavors, reminding me of visiting the livestock tent at county fairs. Hay, with a distinct cow plop flavor at the very end of the finish. Strange and slightly unpleasant, but I'm comforted that nothing harmful can survive in beer, and that this is a reputable brewery. Dry and decidedly eccentric. If this was a person, it would be that crazy guy that walks around town with basketball shorts under leather chaps and carries the pink boom box.
I'm not sure if IPA and wild ale mesh exactly. The bitterness of the hops is only amplified by the lack of sweetness than brett delivers, and that cowshit flavor in the finish is somewhat off-putting. I'm glad my wife has been wanting to try this, because I doubt I want the entire 750 ml.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Reddish, slightly golden coloring; thick, long-lasting head which was light in color

S - Hops definitely present, however, it moves to a sweeter, citrus nose

T - Sweet-to-hoppy-to-funky taste. Citrus was present throughout that long transition. While the variety of taste was remarkable, none of it stood out

M - Moderate carbonation, not spectacular. A mild funkiness lingered

D - Very drinkable, taste does change in subtle ways the more I drink

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

A hazy deep amber color with a decent white head and lots of healthy lacing. The aroma offers a pleasant sour Alka Seltzer citrus with mild wheat grain. The flavor comes on with a very odd chalky Pepto Bismal/Alka Seltzer idea. It's fizzy and brings some sour cherry. There's a vague cotton candy sweetness but mostly this offers pretty medicinal sour qualities. It's light to medium bodied and heavily carbonated. Modest drinkability and not really something I'm anxious to finish. Not sure what this is but it doesn't much matter.

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

I took the bottle out of the fridge and took the cage off of the top of the bottle. I came back ten minutes later to a big booom and the pressure from inside the bottle popped the cork right off. Simply amazing for a beer bottled back sometime in 2009. The beer was poured into a stella glass

Appearance: Holy head of beer. The head reduces, but I keep filling up my glass to get it to the proper beer level for a review. There is also some nice lacing on the side of the glass too. The beer is also a hazy orange amber color. I know there is carbonation in the beer, but I can't even see any in my glass.

Smell: Very cirtusy here, clementines, tangerine, and grapefruit come to mind. Yeast gives the beer some funkiness and straw aromas too. Some leathery characterisitcs come up towards the end of the nose too. Very strange and hopefully the beer does not taste as funky as the smell.

Taste: Same as the nose, but even more strange and funky. Is the beer supposed to be like this? Not sure. Will find out more with every sip. At least the nice citrus makes everything taste better in the rear. I just waited ten minutes and the same funkiness is going on. Don't really know what to think other than the fact that one part of the beer didn't settle correctly over the last two years.

Mouthfeel: The beer is smooth, highly carbonated, and easy to drink once you get past the funk. Medium to full bodied.

Overall: It smelles good up front, but the funkiness took a little longer than I wanted to get used to it. I prefer sour and funky beers, but this one seemed too funky. I would like to try out a fresher version next time this comes out. This was a decent twist on a style I am getting accustomed too.

3.34/5  rDev -13.2%

A: Hazy orange with a massive, rocky head with everlasting sustain.

S: Mild brett with a light citrus aroma.

T: Spicy brett taste with light hop flavors. Funky and bitter but lacking in overall flavor and intensity. The hop bitterness overwhelms the subtleties of the yeast.

M: Medium-bodied with lots of carbonation.

D: Good try, but I don't think that this one quite works.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

750ml bottle from April 2009, cork broke when opening and had to bust out the wine opener.

A - Poured a gentle pour and half the glass is filled with a light tan foamy head. The body of the beer is a cloudy amber.

S - Malty, bready as well as hoppy. A faint lemon can be detected.

T - Pine hops, earthy and bready malts collide and finishes slightly tart.

M - Very bubbly, champagne like. Really mixes the flavors around.

O - Could definitely taste the Belgian yeast but I think the age of the bottle is past its prime.

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Opened a 750ml bottled and pour into a wheat beer glass that held most of the bottle's pour. Amber color body with a creamy white head that lasted longer then one would think, a bit hazy though.
Had the aroma of a barnyard horse blanket next to a field of fresh cut green grass; floral and complex. Sweet aroma undertones with a hint of tart yeastiness.
Sweet malty with the must of the Brett yeast strain, but the complex all hits at once and lingers to a dry clean finish; the spicy and grassy notes drop off and my tongue search for the hoppiness that seemed to of only kissed the beer.
Pretty full bodied beer with a semi-high carbonation level that almost works for the style. Great beer concept, but it seem all too safe in practice. I want more hop! More FUNK! I guess one can not have cake and pie, it's either one or the other for this style and something was lost with the marriage the two.
A good fresh treat, but a bit pricy for what it is; but one should try it for themselves!

3.35/5  rDev -13%

Pours a hazy light amber with a massive head - definitely prone to gushing if you are not careful. Sticky straw head where most of the lacing boils away, leaving a thin layer. Smells like a super-hopped saison: hoppy yet horsey/funky at the same time. Pretty evenly split between the two.

This beer definitely works for me best with the first two senses. Taste is most certainly different, but not quite up to the billing. HopDevil + Bret != awesomeness in this case. The hop character is definitely present throughout. I haven't tried original HopDevil so I can't compare. It's mostly a hoppy backbone, though, instead of full-on hop explosion. Then the brett wild taste starts to kick in. Unfortunately, all it's really doing for me is make the hop character a little paler, more subdued. It's got a nice ephervesence to it, almost like a very dry champagne that's also very hoppy. But after that tingle, it gets real soapy, not a particularly clean sensation. The aftertaste consists of the bitter/sour/soapy sensations all fighting for dominance, with none really taking the crown. I don't know if it's my taste buds being stupid, but tastes different from sip to sip, depending on which of those sensations assert. Some are quite enjoyable (like hoppy with the wildness as a backbone), but when it gets real soapy (with those other sensations crawling up the spine), it is not so hot. Drinkability suffers for this same reason. It's like a constantly shifting wild card. It definitely gets props for trying something crazy, but doesn't quite live up. Now, given a year or so for the hops to fade and the brett to really come out, and I wonder what this will taste like.

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

A gusher, with some farm house funk, sour tinny and my wife the sour beer Fiend doesn't like it, love this brewery just not this brew...drain pour!

Hotel beer at the end of the GABF

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

There's brett in this one? Really? I'll admit to not drinking Hop Devil frequently enough to distinguish between the two, nor did I pour both head to head, but all I took home from this was that I purchased Hop Devil in sheep's clothing with a premium price tag.
Damn.

Guess this isn't surprising: hopped up beers don't lend themselves to the sometimes subtle (and sometimes less subtle) secondary characteristics that brett would impart. Perhaps my palate isn't trained to palate wrecker IPAs enough to pick up any subtleties.

This isn't to say it is a bad beer. Its not. Far from it. It is Victory after all. It just wasn't as interesting as I had hoped it would be.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

750 ml caged and corked bottle, bottled on 6/10/09. Served in a nonic pint glass, the beer pours a hazy orange/amber color with a frothy 2 inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both very good. Aroma is yeast, lemon peel, pears, peppery spice and some earthy hops. Unfortunately the taste isn't quite as appealing as the aroma. It tastes like medicine/aspirin, peppery spice, yeast, and some grassy hops. But the medicinal taste overpowers the other flavors. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit coating and has a lot of carbonation. Drinkability isn't bad as it is smooth, but would be better if the beer didn't have that aspirin taste. I'll have to revisit this one in the future.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

pours a clear red-orange with a large off-white head, above average carbonation, and some lacing.

smell is floral, some citrus, and wild yeast.

taste is sour, wild yeast, some malt, some citrus, and a little bit of hops, ends a little bitter, and tart.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.5

Popped the cork with relative ease and a loud, well, pop.
Poured...holy crap...head is coming up fast to about 4 fingers. This is a clean glass, too. yipes. Luckily the head chunks up and calms down to a moderate level. Some clinging to the glass all the way up. Clean, chestnut appearance.

First whiff brings up Belgian IPA. Some sourness comes in, then sweet. A bit musky. Some funk and small phenolic hints..plasticy.

Tame flavor. wow, downhill form here. Thin, weak, tame. Perhaps the hops and bretts cancel out each other. Maybe I should age this a bit more. This reminds me a bit of Bud Ale. It has hops....I guess. There is a bite to it. An IPA? More like a PA with Brett instead of malt as the balancing agent. It is dry, wouldn't say sweet, but it has something else. Wouldn't say sour either. Juicy, perhaps.
Apple, slight pear and bread.
Sour hits at the end, but on the tip of the tongue. Hmm.

Good drinkability. Not sure about this one.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

Presentation: 750 corked and caged, bottled on date is clearly marked.

Appearance: Slightly hazy reddish brown, nice sized head.

Smell: Definitely brett dominated. There are some citrusy hops in there too, but the funk comes through first.

Taste: Interesting, the hop flavors are definitely muted when compared to the brett. Not overly powering, but definitely the main flavor.

Overall impression: This beer is OK - but its not nearly as interesting as I would hope. Its got some brett flavor, but really not much else. Still, its fairly drinkable, just not the most novel thing I've tried.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle, served in a snifer. Bottled 4/22/09. Opened about 2 months ago. I think I got this in the Secret Santa BIF

A: Pour dark orange, similar to an IPA. Massive head that slowly receded to roughly 1/2 finger. Decent lacing around the top of the glass

S: Lots of brett. In fact, mostly brett. Notes of lemon rind, cat piss and pepper. I'm indifferent about the smell

T: Certainly a good amount of funkiness with this one. Light tartness (was definitely expecting more). Faded, bitter hops. Other flavors I got were leather, wood and light lemon. The longer the beer opened, the more it moved towards being a funky IPA as some citrus appeared

M: Medium bodied. Light bitter, tart finish. Surprisingly light carbonation

D: This was interesting. Pretty sure I had it fresh and it had a much more bretty funk to it. Decent either way, but probably not one I'd age

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottled in 2009 and held by brewery and re-distributed, then bought in 2014. Amber/orange.

A- Pours the biggest bubbly foam head I've ever seen right out of the bottle.

S- Yeasty and sour. hoppy too. candied oranges. Wild.

T- Similar to the smell really. Some sour notes from the yeast action. The hops has really mellowed out. I hope others review this delayed/aged re-release because I don't think I'm doing it justice with this review. But it's a pretty exciting/interesting beer.

M- Very bubbly and fizzy in the mouth.

O- I thought about getting some hop devil (which I haven't had yet, though I loved V's Hop Fresh) to taste alongside this one but this beer stands on its own as completely unique from the original Hop Devil. It is indeed wild, and I'm glad I tried it.

3.4/5  rDev -11.7%

750mL into snifter. man the cork came out with a bang. and so did the foam! this thing is going nuts out of the bottle and will hardly stay in my glass. not a good start.

A: a hazed orange blanketed with a dense white head. this head is huge and has great retention.

S: smells like a belgian. a chalky earthy characteristic most common. however, there is a vinous brett quality that peaks around as well. hard to tell this was an IPA to begin with there not being a large hop smell.

T: brett coming through on the palate much more than the nose. something is a slightly unpleasant though. tastes medicinal/band-aid-like. i know some of this may be expected because of the brett. wish there was a more pronounced hop body worked in as well.

M: not effervescent, but very very bubbly. the bubbles actually feel large, not fine and prickly.

D: not bad, just not living up to the hype i had in my mind. worth a try.

3.41/5  rDev -11.4%

Amber colored with an incredibly voluminous head which eventually reduced to a night tight lace of bubbles. I couldn't pickup any hop aroma with this beer, mostly yeasty brett funk.
taste is clean, and grassy with horse blanket slight bitterness, characteristics of brett undertones are prevalent.
Beer is light bodied and wicked overcarbonated even after my aggresive pour.
Moderately drinkable, not my favorite beer, but not bad either. worth giving it a try if you can find it, especially if you are into them freaky brettanomyces beers.

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown