Wild Devil | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Wild DevilWild Devil

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American IPA

It’s arguable that our menacingly delicious HopDevil has always been wild. With bold German malts and whole flower American hops, this India Pale Ale is anything but prim. But add a touch of brettanomyces, the unruly beast responsible for the sharp tang and deep funk found in many Belgian ales, and our WildDevil emerges completely untamed. Floral, aromatic hops still leap from this amber ale, as a host of new fermentation flavor kicks up notes of citrus and pine. Pour yourself a glass today—if you dare.

Added by Kadonny on 05-08-2008

20%

Reviews: 532 | Ratings: 1,267
3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 750 ml to goblet.

Appearance - Pours a dark crimson orange with no sediment. A 4 finger frothy head emerges that dissipates rather quickly and leaves a thick frothy lacing.

Smell - Tons of belgian funk and sourness in the nose, followed by citrus. I will agree with others and say it has a barnyard like smell to it.

Taste - This is definitely different, a nice belgian funk to it, definitely can taste some orval like qualities, with a nice chase of citrus hops on the end. Bitter just on the end, can barely tell that is what this started as. Sour fruits detected, apple, cherry, and a bit of grape, its hard to discern though.

Mouthfeel - Not too bad, not overcarbonated and feels just about right for the style in the mouth, pretty good.

Drinkability - Just a glass or a bit more, the whole 750 is a bit much for one, definitely one to share I think.

4.28/5  rDev +11.2%

Bottled Apr. 22, 2009

I was surprised to find when I looked at the bottle that it was already over a year old. This was first time trying it.

BEER FAIL! BEER FAIL! Wow, what just happened? After a short struggle with the cork, overflowing of my 750ml bottle just commenced. I tried to drink the foam as it was overflowing, but I couldn't swallow it but it did taste rather delicious. Besides the mess and bad start, from the taste, I know already I will probably enjoy a lot. Even after setting my bottle down it is still slowly crept back up to the top, crawling over the edge of the bottle. This bottle was not disturbed or shaken prior, I've never seen so much carbonation and bubble.

Quickly rising lots of bubble thick, dense frothy 2 full finger cap of tightly nit bubbles, with excellent retention. This beer looks great. The beer itself is a beautiful- I'd call hazy sunset cherry-orange. The lacing is thick, and clings well. Almost wishing I poured this into my Duvel.

As I've heard that longer aged brett gives more of a funkiness. With this beer being around a year old the brett is def. coming through in the nose and the taste. Nose is mostly the yeasty brett, medicinal phenolic smell that personally I love just as much as hop forward beers. This beer is nothing short of the beautiful smell of Orval.

Taste is fantastic. The brett is upfront, the lightly citric hops are secondary and lower key. If you are drinking this with about a year on it expect it to be somewhat Orval in nature, as that is what I'm constantly thinking the entire time I've been drinking WD. I haven't had a lot of brett ales, but I def. see the similarities between this and Orval.

Light and bubbly on the tongue. High carbonation, I love it. With a great dry finish, Again, characteristics of one of my favorite beers, Orval. This may just be one of my favorite beers, and has all the properties that I love in a beer like this. Victory Brewing, another job well done- you have yet to disappoint me.

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%

A - Glass over flowed, tons of carbonation. Hazy amber beer. Laces well. Thick mat of bubbles stays around till the last drop.

S - Amazing wild smell. Lots of sour apple. Sweet grassy malt. Some tart acidic notes, touches of horse blanket. Wonderful.

T - This beer is all over the place. It has the hop profile of a good ipa, but the sweetness of Belgian. And the brett brings in a tart sour finish.

M - Lots of carbonation. Tons in fact, borderline gusher. Mice acidic and hopd dry finish. Light body

O- this wild beer is weird, its good in different ways but not one. Highly complex. Maybe time will show where this beer going.
will age another.

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

750 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Bottled on APR 22 2009.

A - Pours a dark copper-colored body with a dense one finger head with decent retention.

S - This is quite the beguiling nose. I love the interplay between the hop pungency and musty basement smells. I get notes of pine, chestnut honey, orange, old wood, basement funk, vanilla, and grass.

T - The hop bitterness is well-tempered by the sweeter malt and dark floral honey character. The bitterness steps up at first, before transitioning to the funky sweet flavors, with the finish dominated by a piney, citrusy hoppy bitterness. As the brew warms up a bit, the sweeter notes outpace the bitterness.

M - The brew feels pretty full-bodied, but the carbonation is well-done.

D - I really like this brew, but it didn't blow me away. I like the idea of combining an IPA with Brettanomyces, and I think Victory did a good job integrating the very different flavors. I'd pair this brew with a big chunk of Stilton, a rustic pork pate, and a crusty baguette.

A: Deep honey color. Thick off-white, rocky foamy head. Good head retention and lacing.

S: Slightly sour with a "farmhouse" quality...

T/M: The Belgium yeast balances out the hops very nicely. Mild citrus flavors and some very pleasant spice notes. Mid-ow carbonation and medium body.

O: A very tasty beer. I would like to have this one again, but as with most beer it is best enjoyed with others.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 25.4 oz bottle into std pint glass. Bottled on date of June 11, 2014. Had this beer on tap at the Mohegan Sun Brewfest and it was among my favorites. Finally located a bottle and had to get it. The bottle did not live up to my memory. Poured a nice, slightly hazy, copper color with a large head. Head retention is excellent maintaining a good half inch throughout. Light to medium lacing. Very Brett forward aroma and strong in the flavor. Well-balanced mouthfeel with a tiny bit of bitter finish. Again, not as nice overall as I remembered on tap, but still a pretty good and interesting beer. Victory always does a good job.

4.3/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks so much to DIM for this. Seriously, I stop listening and get excited at brett.

Pours a lot more cloudy and maybe a tad lighter than the regular devil.

Smell: Citrus, Lemons, Grapefruit, Hay.

Taste: The brett makes a pretty big difference. The malt backbone is gone. The Citrus is still there with a nice Spicy brett note and an awesome leathery finish. Typical carbonation for a Belgian, kind of oily.

I really like this and will have no problem finishing the growler. I hope it gets bottled. It was amazing to have them side by side.

3.57/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I heard this was on tap at stub and herbs so I rushed down to have a glass.

A- Light brown in color with a nice thick head that stayed around for awhile. Not much lacing, I actually ordered the beer not knowing what style it was just that it had brett. I thought it looked like a barley wine. Nice and cloudy opaque, with very little redness that is usually found in IPA's

S- The beer seemed to fail here. Not much hop character, but I was anticipating any. And when it really didn't deliver any exciting malt smells I was disappointed. I noticed the brett, but it wasn't really funky or any of that. Just typical yeast smell.

T- The brew tasted pretty good, not much to get excited about though. I thought it tasted like a saison, or belgian strong ale. Not really interesting hop character, or malt flavors. It was just kinda hovering between styles.

M- Good mouthfeel nice and light carbonation, not a thick beer but heavy enough.

D- Very drinkable, nice and refreshing. Totally worth a try, not sure how much a bottle is but I'd get another glass for sure.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Poured from a corked and caged 750 compliments of kjsv034.
I poured it into a Duvel tulip with a HUGE head, way to big. Nearly a gusher.Color like an east-coast IPA.

S- A little funk at first, but a little more as it warms. Not much brett tatse, but just enough. Some nice piney, floral hops with a slight carmel malty flavor.

T- Very close to the taste, but a little more Bret character here, which is nice.

M- Good carbonation, nice feel in the mouth.

D- The Brett makes me not want another, but its a very good beer. I am sold on this beer.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured from a 1pt 9fl oz bottle that was bottled on March 3rd. I bought the bottle in the middle of March sometime and its been in the back of my fridge ever since. This is the first beer that Ive had brewed with Brett so I'm not to sure how to pick it out or what flavors to attribute to it.

A- Pours a hazy Light burnt orange hue with a huge fluffy off while head that had good retention and left a lot of lace.

S- Citrus hops, floral aroma, and a bit of a musty smell.

t- Slightly sweet start. The main taste is pine and citrus hops. It has a biter finish, but not nearly as bitter as I remember normal hop devil being. There is also a musty, earthy taste at end that I'm going to attribute to the brett yeast.

M- Medium body with a very very smooth mouth feel. This area of the beer was great.

B- I really enjoyed this beer and would not mind having a few more bottles on hand.

4.16/5  rDev +8.1%

First off, the cork on this baby was barely being held in by the cage. It started sliding up as soon as the cage twisted off. An agressive pour was neither necessary nor desired to result in a glass 1/3 full of beer and 2/3 dense, off-white foam. Even when it settled down, a decent crust of foam remained on top of the beer. Robust carbonation, with many small bubbles.

The smell was distinctive of a solid wild ale. Funky, sour, hinting at sweetness. Taste was a refreshing affirmation of what the aroma promised. I picked up some bittering hop on the palate, and some light malt sweetness, but overall was rewarded by a tasty and refreshing sour flavor that I have enjoyed on much more expensive beers.

Mouthfeel was full without being cloying. Finish was dry and bitter, leaving me wanting the next sip, even when there was no more to be had.

A very good wild ale for an excellent price. I will definitely return to the store for more.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

A hazy golden color with a healthy head and good amount of lacing. I actually thought that this smelled a bit like pickles upon first whiff. Some fruity elements as well. Tasted more mild than anticipated. A good malty taste with some hop bitterness on the end. Some bubblegum that I have grown accustomed to in the Belgian styles.

Of course some brett funkiness throughout. I even taste some of that pickle that I got in the aroma. Its got to be the brett funk mixing things up. Just the right amount. Its definitely an interesting beer to say the least. Best beer I've had in this style so far, although I've tried just a few.

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

25.4 oz corked and caged bottle poured into a pint glass
bottled 6/11/14
poured a beautiful orange to amber with a HUGE white head that lasted the whole beer and left lots of lace on glass
smell initially malty fruity and cherry with a lot of funk and sour as the beer warmed up
taste tart cherry initially funky and medicinal with a dry finish
feel medium body and warming
i have learned i am not a fan of brettanomyces
this beer reminded me of evil twin femme fatale noir only better
wouldnt drink again

A - Copper red, orange hues with a nice rocky thick head.

S - Brett funk, with a slight sweetness of malt. Slight lemon peel smell with a light bit of hops.

T - Brett funk with muted hops in the background, certainly not as hops forward as HopDevil, but the character of the original is there. Less sour than anticipated.

M - Good carbonation level as well as being fairly light on the tounge.

D - For what it is, is has good drinkability. Perhaps this would be the really subjective category here, since the character of the beer may not be as drinkable to all.

3.76/5  rDev -2.3%

Tap. Pours dark amber with frothy white head. Aroma of funk, apricot, and spicy and floral hops. Flavor is sweet and hoppy at first, followed by a tart and funky aftertaste that lingers on the tongue. Medium bodied. An interesting mix of IPA and sour. A different beer. I liked it.

3.32/5  rDev -13.8%

A - Reddish, slightly golden coloring; thick, long-lasting head which was light in color

S - Hops definitely present, however, it moves to a sweeter, citrus nose

T - Sweet-to-hoppy-to-funky taste. Citrus was present throughout that long transition. While the variety of taste was remarkable, none of it stood out

M - Moderate carbonation, not spectacular. A mild funkiness lingered

D - Very drinkable, taste does change in subtle ways the more I drink

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

A: Pale orange with significant haze. Thick off-white head that clings to the glass and doesn't fade. Couldn't knock the head down if you wanted to.

S: Complex blend of fruit and Brett funk. Cherries and citrus; barnyard and baby diaper. Low spicy hop presence, and virtually no malt aroma.

T: Somewhat disappointing after the aroma. Plenty of Bretty funk, but not as sour as I was expecting or hoping for. Hop bitterness kicks in on the finish, and adds an interesting feature. Not much "beer" flavor to support the wildness.

MF: Mouth-filling effervescence, nice for this style. Body is medium-light, with a dry finish. Carbonation is somewhat prickly.

D: A pleasant, drinkable wild ale, but nothing special. Lacks the complexity of better examples.

3.37/5  rDev -12.5%

A gusher, with some farm house funk, sour tinny and my wife the sour beer Fiend doesn't like it, love this brewery just not this brew...drain pour!

Hotel beer at the end of the GABF

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Appearance: Amazing bubbly head, Orangish hue. Major league Frothy.

Smell: Spicy nose.

Taste: My initial sip had some bite, right on the side of my tongue. This sharpness evened out after a few more sips.

Mouthfeel: Medium to thinnish body.

Drinkability: Not super smooth or balanced. For as good as this beer looked, I wished I liked the flavors and drinking it more.

Odd and Ends - Frothy head lasted to the last sip - very cool.

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from caged & corked bottle into tulip. I'm a big fan of the standard HopDevil, so a Brett version = yes please!

A: A very gentle pour results in a towering rocky head that lasts and lasts and lasts. It took probably 5 minutes just to get a full glass. Pours a rich orange amber, a touch of haze, incredible effervescence, and very sticky lacing. Beautiful.

S: Wow this is yummy - the HopDevil base peaks through with its lovely caramel malts and floral hop character, though the Brett character is everywhere. Barnyard funk galore.

T: Outstanding. Beautiful hop character - floral and citrus with a mild bitterness sets the stage for lovely sweet Brett-infused caramel and biscuit malt character. Bittersweet aftertaste and a nice, long, smooth finish.

M: Lightish, a little creamy, with an almost mousse-like texture from the extreme carbonation. You definitely fight with the carbonation in this beer, and it's the same in the mouthfeel...maybe just a bit much.

O: While the classic HopDevil is evident behind all the Brett, this is certainly its own beer. I haven't had too many Belgian IPAs, but this is no slouch. I could go for a little more true IPA character, but it's hard to complain here.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Served in a 16oz pilsner glass.

Like the HopDevil it's based on, it has a nice reddish-brown hue. It generates a sizeable head, and if not for that and the slightly finer composition of that head, you'd never know it wasn't a HopDevil just by looking at it.

Once you smell it, though, you know you've got something different here. The hop aroma is muted somewhat by the musty funk from the Brett yeast. It's bright and earthy all at once.

Wow, this is an IPA? Sure, the citrusy bitterness is there, but the yeast used in this brew brings a mellow balance to the equation. If you only consider the hops and the malts in a beer's taste profile, this beer will change your tune. It's hard to believe that this is related to the HopDevil at all. I actually prefer this wild version.

The new yeast brings with it a finer mouthfeel. It's still got the stickiness from the malts, but that stickiness is countered by the new carbonation profile. Definitely an improvement over the HopDevil.

I could drink this beer all night. Everything is so much more balanced with the funky characteristics of the Brett blending with the hops. The alcohol is well-hidden in this new recipe, too.

I've had this on-tap and from a bomber. On tap, it's a little more earthy while from the bottle it has a hint of sourness. I recommend trying both versions to see what you like better.

If I were to have one main complaint, it would be that the WildDevil, in bottle form at least, is extremely overpriced. If the only thing that's different in the recipe is the yeast, there's no excuse to charge 3x the price for a case of WilDevil over that of a HopDevil. Even at the brewery, a pint of Wild Devil is priced on par with that of a HopDevil.

All-in-all, WildDevil is the most interesting (and successful) new beer Victory has produced in a very long time. I would go so far as to say that it no longer qualifies as an American IPA anymore: the Brett completely changes the characteristics of the HopDevil it's based on. Perhaps it's better suited in the 'Belgian IPA' or even 'Wild Ale' categories.

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at Victory, released very recently.

a - dark red/brown, nice white head, holds. Good pour.

s - A bit of different odors that normally expected, but in general similar to Hopdevil. Grassy, herbal hops, not much alcohol. Here though there are some slight spice-type esters barely present. They seem to come and go?

t - Is this hopdevil or wilddevil? I actually had to ask our server to confirm what he gave us. The differences are so slight. Nicely spicy hop flavors up front, smooth and balanced maltiness in the middle, and drying bitterness in the finish. After we discussed the possibility of receiving Hopdevil by accident, I really started to doubt my tastebuds, but the Brett seemed to add a bit of woodsy-ness, spice. Oh so subtile. It's maybe a little less hop-forward than Hopdevil, especially since I know this batch is most likely super fresh. Who knows, in 6 months this could be a different beer.

m - sharp from bittering hops, but appropriately balanced as well. Good CO2. Started out way too cold.

d - Very high, as is Hopdevil.

asides - I was told by the lady working in the shop that this recipe is exactly the same as hopdevil, only the yeast is different. This is the second batch and released for Philly Beer Week.

Next: (4/11/09) This is a completely different beast. I got Wild and Hopdevil side-by-side at the brewery to see if I could detect subtile differences, but these are totally different beers now. Wilddevil has a mild aroma, somewhat Belgian in nature, and the flavors to match. Large belgian aromatics up front, like a Saison or Belgian pale. Drying in the middle and finishing with a bitterness approaching astrigency or phenolic at the end. The hops aren't obvious to be honest, but I'm sure they are contributing to the mouthfeel and dryness. The belgian character which has taken over is dominant. It's quite drinkable but I wonder what it will become and how carbonated the bottles I have bought will become.

Notes: Very interesting to see the change this beer has taken in a month. Victory must have been rushed to release this for Philly Beer Week. I wonder what strain of Brett was used, and if Brett, as the primary fermenter, will superattenuate in this case. Certainly an interesting beer.

3.08/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: Pours a hazy, golden/amber. It's super carbonated and the bubbles are huge; a fizzy three-inch head develops and slowly recedes to a surface film that hangs around for a while. The cork came out of the bottle with no hesitation. If I didn't have my hand on it, it probably would have broken a window.

Aroma: It definitely has that "farmhouse" aspect. Complex nose with strong notes of cherry, lemon, and menthol. Generally floral, barnyardy and sweet with a funky and vinous edge. There's a medicinal/chemical off-aroma there that also reminds of me of household cleaning supplies, which isn't exactly pleasant.

Taste: Dominated by harsh bitterness; piney, resiny notes poke through. Very dry, slightly sour and moderately astringent finish. I was looking forward to an explosion of hop flavor, but it really fails to establish itself with any certainty.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body with coarse carbonation.

Overall: Victory is trying to marry German with American with Belgian, and the beer simply doesn't convey this. I'm not picking up on a German malt character or American hops - just overpowering bittnerness, funk and off-aromas. It's a struggle to get through this bottle, even when sharing it.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

On tap at eh brew-pub. I was fortunate to get this literally minutes before it kicked.

This review is basically a comparison versus the excellent HopDevil.

A - Color is lighter and cloudier than the regular HopDevil. Head and lace are similar which is to say very good.

S - American IPA all the way. Versus the regular HopDevil the aroma is very similar, though I found it to be not a hop forward.

T - Still very similar to the original, though again I think slightly smoother and less forward. The real difference is in the finish, the brett comes through with a slightly sour ending and a bit of funk. I am a fan of the original but this improves upon it, doesn't just change it.

M - A bit fuller bodied than the original even though the carbonation seems to have suffered a bit. Very nice.

D - I was less than halfway through this when another in my party ordered one and was told they were out. I can't begin to describe how much I wanted another...

Not much funk in my bottle. If anything it had a slight lemon flavor and it was kinda like you had a penny in your mouth too. The hops were nice and it was a smooth drinking ale. I enjoyed it, it just wasn't what I thought it would be.

Wild Devil from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown