Yakima Glory | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Black Ale

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.

Added by sholland119 on 12-06-2008

Ratings: 1,659 |  Reviews: 772

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%

ST - 12oz bottle poured into a schooner. paid $2.49 at Whole Foods.

appearance - reddish cherry like color

smell - ummm, hops... lots and lots of piney hops.

taste - follows the nose. quite bitter and you really can't taste anything else other than citrus piney like hops.

backend taste - same... just hops.

overall - I liked it but a little too hop filled for me. IMO, appearance is the best thing about this beer, it looks great and you get lacing all the way down the glass and a huge head out of it.

3.25/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

My GF is from Yakima so I bought a 6 pack when I saw it without thinking much.

Pours dark brown with an off white head.

Smells like hops with some residual citrus.

Tastes- Super hoppy and piney. I bought this beer unaware that Yakima was known for it's hops so I was surprised. There is a little bit of sweetness, just enough to take it out of the IPA territory but a fairly bitter beer.

MF-Slight carbonation.

Overall- It was okay. I didn't enjoy it much but thats my dumbass fault for buying a beer that pays tribute to a place that produces a lot of hops when I don't like ym beers to be supper hoppy.

3.26/5  rDev -17.3%

A: Pours a dark mahogany color with some reddish hues around the edges. Provides a nice one finger tan foam head, with moderate lacing.

S: Smells of quite prevalent but seem to be fighting each other for dominance. Dark roasted coffee and chocolate or citrus hops.

T: Starts off different then the smell. The hop bitterness is most noticeable up front. The middle is where the big flavors of rich roasted malt and sweet caramel come in. Seems like a constant battle for supremacy.

M: Seems a little bitter with some mild alcohol on the palate, then it seems creamy at times.

D: This is a very complex beer, with both the hops and malt flavors battling each other. I will give this another shot or two in the future.

3.27/5  rDev -17%

A - Deep brown with cherry cola highlights.

S - Semi-bright citrus, orange peel. Backdrop of pine.

T - Bitter pine hops up front. Backbone of black roasted malt: char, burnt bread, smoke. The citrus hops struggle to say hello, but you can hear them in the background.

M - Light-medium body appropriate for the style, but a little light for the flavor profile in my personal taste.

D - Fairly drinkable, but the light body and sharp roast hurt the overall drinkability.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

I saw this on the shelf at Total Wine in Sarasota and had to try one of the few major releases from Victory that I hadn't yet.

A: Poured into a standard pint glass, small tight head that doesn't stick around. Really cool ruby/brownish color with great highlights.

S: Smell is pretty hop forward with some dry fruit maybe. A little sweetness in there too. I'm getting over a cold, so I may have to revisit that when I'm feeling 100%.

T: Sweet up front with a lot of malty, carmel notes and a pretty big hop-bitterness. However, the bitterness lingers a bit too long and too bitter for my liking. the longer I work on each sip, the less I want to take another due to the bitterness at the back of my mouth. If not for this, it would have scored much higher.

M: Mouthfeel is crisp and refreshing. Judging on this alone, I'm surprised at the high alcohol content.

D: Besides the longstanding bitterness I was getting on the finish, I'd love this beer. However, the unpleasant aftertaste is probably going to make this a one-and-done selection for me. Victory is a killer brewery and everything they make is worth drinking. This one may just be a matter of my own personal preference, but I'll stick to Hopdevil if I'm looking for bitterness.

3.28/5  rDev -16.8%

On tap at the Drafting Room Exton, this is another in a line of first time beers brewed in the new, larger facility. I don't think I had a dark DIPA before.

A-A very dark amber brown, with a very thin white head an a little bit of lacing.

S-Roasted and caramel malts with some floral and citrus hops. A bit light on the hops for the style.

T-Kind of a disappointment. The malt sweetness and the floral hop flavors never really blend together. I can taste them separately but very distinctly.

M-Nice, a bit heavy on the medium side.

D-Yeah, not bad, but not my favorite thing.

I love the new styles and challenges the new Victory capacity allows. I did not care a lot for this one, though. Maybe my expectations were too high.

HV