Yakima Glory | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Black Ale

According to the brewery's website: "A dark IPA".

Available November to January.

Added by sholland119 on 12-06-2008

Ratings: 1,660 |  Reviews: 773
4.75/5  rDev +20.6%

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a dark brown with a slight amber.

Big head took several sips and pours to get it all out of the bottle.

Not quite like an IPA or DIPA... but then again, kinda.
multi layered flavors, hoppy, malty, some fruit?

Nice finish, great aftertaste.

I'd get this again,
nice

4.47/5  rDev +13.5%

"Enjoy by: Nov 16 2010" I don't think I'll wait that long, thanks... Into the classic American shaker...

A - Mahogany body, with ample tan head. Some lace sticking and very nice retention. May not win any beauty pageants, but it were the girl next store, I doubt any guy would complain...

S - Malt supplies a nice roasted and smokey aroma with slightly sweeter coffee notes, dry and just simple enough to give the hops lots of room to shine. And they do, showing spicy, rum-like notes balanced out with a big juicy orange quality. More than solid.

T - Semi-sweet chocolate malt and citrus at the entry, with building smokiness quickly joining the palate. The citrus turns juicy and climaxes at the midpalate. A rum-like bite starts right before the swallow, and lasts long after the finish, combining with the hops to create an almost to-assertive finish.

M - Remember the last time you had a good 8-9% ABV beer American Ale? That's what the mouthfeel and body are like.

D - The only complaint I could see people having about this beer would be the big burn (*whine, this beer isn't "smooth..."*) in the finish. I love the hugeness of this beer, and applaud the spicy, rum-like character in this big American-style beast. At a pretty reasonable price for a sixer, sounds like a great way for me to drink away my sorrows after watching my Illini crush my hopes at a special season these last two games... D*mnit...

2.74/5  rDev -30.5%

Hmm. Smelled a little, um, powerful. This one could hurt.

I bought the single bottle, and I'm happy I only bought one. This just isn't my mug of beer.

Poured into a clear beer mug (nothing fancy, I know), it was a dark brown, with some head, not too much, not too little.

The taste was OK, nothing great. Very bitter aftertaste. I'm not a huge fan of bitterness, but somebody recommended this one to me. Maybe they just wanted me to get drunk. It had some citrus rind, maybe some raisin, pretty complex.There was plenty of carbonation, maybe an 8 out of 10 for carbonation.

Drinkability, nah. Maybe if you had a few of these you could keep drinking them. But at some point (at 8.7%), you would pass out. I would only recommend somebody having 1 of these. That is more than enough. I guess I would have one of these if I was late for a tailgate and needed to get liquored up quick.

These hoppy/bitter beers just aren't my thing. I like stouts. Keep that in mind when reading this review. Peace in the hood.

4.11/5  rDev +4.3%

3.5/5  rDev -11.2%

The fun is in the name with this one. I like this Vicotry product probably because its one of their highest ABVs. This sounds like a Japanese Kamakaze pilot beer.

I had this a few times but this particular review is out of a bottle. Nut brown in color. Hazelnut fragerance. A lot of head when poured.

A black ale but has hops and floral undertones in boquet. You can barely see through this beer when held to light. Not very bubbly. Bitter upon tasting with some chocolate taste.

4.17/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a ruby red mahogany brown. Wait a minute... I'd give it higher points for appearance, but it's not black. Then again it doesn't say anything on the bottle about it being a black ale. Sure does smell like one though. Smells earthy and of citrus. A little woody. Crisp hop bite with a very complex finish. Several flavors pass through the pallet before ending. I'm getting a little coriander, almost like a belgian trippel or dark ale. The mouthfeel makes this one a bit harder to wrap my buds around. It's not violently bubbly, but it definitely keeps things from standing around. Notes of mint, tobacco (earthy). The buffet of flavors are definitely trying to gang up on the hop dominance.

3.93/5  rDev -0.3%

courtesy of brian brick at k & l wines

A: Dark ruby brn w/brown thick head, little lace

S: Citrusy piney bold american hops. Smells like an aggressive west coast ipa. Little sweetness of caramelly malt but definitely have to think about it.

T: Hops, piney and bitter, and pretty fresh. In the Yakima tradition. Some maltiness, more bready/biscuity than sweet. Tastes like rye is involved. Moderate alcohol presence. Residual bitterness encompasses the palate.

M/D: Mouthfeel medium throughout and good. Drinkability... ok for abv since its so high, but the bitter hoppy and malty and alcohol combo makes drinkability not fantastic.

Overall: Good overall. Would recommend trying. I could see where some people would fall in love w/a beer like this.

3.83/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours a deep brown red with inch tall light tan head.

Big citrus on the nose with caramel and some darker malts. Light note of mint and also chocolate.

Very fruit forward with a bitterness throughout. Citrus and some tropical. The dark malts appear on the back end, with a slight roasty character. Good bitterness mingles with the roasty dark malt.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium body.

Overall pretty good.

3.16/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip pint.

A--Deep plummy chestnut body, quite handsome for the season, with a two finger creme colored head. Decent lacing but retention wasn't all that impressive given the hop levels here.

S--Again, the hops are fine, they're big and floral and raw, with some real biting astringency that comes through even in the aromas. But given how deep the body looks, where are the sniffs of malt? I get very little caramel or munich or spicy rye--I can /see/ it; I just can't /smell/ it. If you blindfolded me I'd think this was Smuttynose Finest Kind.

T--And..the comparison holds for the taste profile as well. Pretty much tastes like Smutty's IPA, with lovely citric, floral, and a little pine on the back end from the hops, except I feel more light headed when I'm finished the bottle. SN Celebration has a bigger malt profile, and it's lighter in body! So, let's review: darker body, without more complexity in the profile, and I get drunk faster. Enh, no thanks.

M&D--No complaints on the mouthfeel, as it's sufficiently smooth and carbonated. But I don't think I'll be going back for more.

I'm not Victory hater, not by far, but why the hype on this one? Tastes sloppily hopped and simplistic to me, but I may be missing something.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

A - Deep reddish body, 2 finger head, decent lacing

S - Pretty interesting. Pine and sweet citrus, light nose of malt and hops.

T - Hoppy / wheaty with slight bitterness, well balanced for the ABVs. The hop flavors jump out on the first sip and show up again on the finish. The roasted malt flavor smoothes out the bitterness in the end.

M - See why people like this beer. Not as sweet as I thought it would be. Decent flavors.

D - Enjoyable overall. Harder to find and a little pricey compared to other beers I enjoy. Still, I would buy again when available. If you get a chance - try this and see for yourself.

3.71/5  rDev -5.8%

Served on-tap at Collins Pub in Seattle.

A - Pours a dark amber brown with a one-finger head. Outstanding lacing - could count each of my sips as I drank this.

S - Mild nose on this. Some caramel and malt, and a little bit of citrusy hops.

T - More citrus than expected based on how it smelled. Some basic grapefruit and orange zest, but nothing too extraordinary. Quite bitter, but not in the expected good way. I guess I am complaining too much - it was decent, just not great.

M - Great cabonation levels here - very small champagne like bubbles in the head. Medium-bodied.

D - Surely hides the ABV well, I was guessing closer to 7% until I checked it here on BA. A solid brew, but not a great one.

4.3/5  rDev +9.1%

Pours out a brown hazy color with tan head which quickly dissappated. Not very effervescent upon pour. Not much lacing, which seems odd. Smells like deep resinous pine, strange that this beer smells slightly reminiscent of their Imperial Stout Storm King, same hops I am thinking give it that familiar spiceyness and citric quality. Wow, the taste is actually very smooth for such a big beer, I can see these going down toooo easy. Big leafy hop grapefruit bite followed by some sweet malt, but not too sweet and pine finish. This beer is a bit hard to place, definitely a few shades darker than my other favorite hoppy beer Alpha King, more toastyness from the darker malts, perhaps some toffee. There is a lot going on here besides big hops...mouthfeel is quite smooth and this beer is extremely drinkable, little alcohol coming through in the taste. Overall this beer is quite nicely balanced, makes me wish more beers came off this way. If your a fan of Victory brews, specifically Storm King, think of this as perhaps a Storm King light, if that is not totally beyond absurd?

3.79/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Deep garnet color with a one inch head (off white) that fades quickly and leaves very little lacing.

S- Aromas of roasted grains, grapefruit, tiniest hint of chocolate, faint smokiness, pine resin, and as the beer warms, light tropical fruit and alcohol. A pretty balanced aroma. No one aspect dominates the aroma. Very nice.

T- Roasted malts upfront followed by a earthy/spicy hop bitterness that carries through to the finish. A little alcohol warming is present as well.

M- Medium feel with moderate carbonation. Feels slick on the tongue.

D/O- All in all a good Black IPA. Personally, I've got a sneaking suspicion that Black IPAs just might not be my cup of tea. Victory is one of my favorite breweries, but I'll more than likely reach for one of their other beers before this one. Worth a try. Cheers.

4.13/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured into my favorite pint glass

A - Pours a dark amber brown color with a very large thick tan colored head that is about two inches deep. This dense head sets up some very nice lacing around my glass.

S - Fruity flavors of orange, grapefruit and peach are present with thick hoppy aroma on board. There is also a sweet brown sugary malt aroma that is present.

T - Very nice shot of citrus, hops, and pine all rolled in to a complex flavor profile. The malt content is not over powering but provides a nice toasted bready flavor which balances the hop profile very nicely. The alcohol content is very well hidden in this beer.

M - Medium body with a crisp dry finish. Carbonation is moderate in this beer.

D - This is a dangerously drinkable high octane winter seasonal. I only had a single beer in my fridge but if there were more available I would have been cracking them open. Be aware of the high 8.9% abv. I absolutely love this beer and will be adding it to my winter seasonal lineup. This is one of the best new winter seasonal offerings that I have had in a long time.

4.78/5  rDev +21.3%

Drink by date in Oct 2010, so it's a little aged.

A= pours into glass a dark ruby red, really dark with thick head that lasts a good while, leaving behind solid lacing.

Aroma and Taste= sweet malts with some citrus pine hops in the background.

Body= very thick without being too overpowering.

Another outstanding winner from the great Victory Brewing. They never fail to please. Be careful, because at 8.7% ABV, you do not want to have more than a few

4.1/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a deep and dark copper with a white and even three finger head. Lacing is substantial--nearly complete in fact. Though, after a few drinks the lacing dissipates.

Aroma is a clean and fruity hop with a hint of pine. Deep in the aroma there is a rich roasted malt and some buttery sweetness.

Taste is a very piny hop. There is some citrus in there. And some toffee malt bordering on a coffee roast. Overall hoppy though. A nice tang that leaves a sharp bitter and dry aftertaste like any good hoppy beer. A little sticky too. Very refreshing yet also rich and fairly heavy like a good winter beer.

The clean hops make me want to guzzle a couple, but the richness slows me down. I imagine that, at 8.7%, one is refreshing and two would be heavy.

Great beer. Good sipper. Good cold weather beer with great hops.

Yakima Glory from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown