Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Saison Du BUFF | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Added by garuda on 08-24-2010

This is High on my top ten

A - A cloudy yellow.

S - Herbs, and lots of them. Pepper. It smells like I am in a garden. Maybe this beer give me my daily allotment of vegetables.

T - Bitter bite up front, with pepper and vegetable aftertaste. perfect amount of hops and flavors came through

M - Well carbonated and well rounded.

O - best Saison I have had

4.93/5  rDev +29.4%

4.88/5  rDev +28.1%

Reviewed on 6 November 2010, on tap at Tap at Mallet in Rochester, NY for the "Victory Total Tap Takeover."

Whoa. What? Here we go.

Served draft in standard American pint glass, no head, no lacing, gold in color. Aroma? Where to begin.... Well to start, there are hops in this draft beer that are SO FRESH, my buddy and I next to me couldn't decide if we enjoyed the fresh hops or the herbs more! Now for the herbs. Who the hell threw my kitchen spice rack in this beer?? The aroma begins with a kick of mint, followed by oregano, sage, MORE FRESH HOPS, some sweet rosemary, and some Belgian flavors. Unbelievable. On the tongue, we say hello to mint, oregano, parsley, a touch of rosemary, Belgian yeast, and just a slight amount of lemon peel. Oh, not to mention those wonderful fresh hops. Wow. This beer goes down real easy and has no alcohol on the tongue or nose. I'd love to order another, but I want to review other beers this night. If you see this bottle in the store, BUY IT. This is a bold beer collaboration between Dogfish, Stone, and Victory (this version is Victory's). I give this beer a perfect score (except for appearance) because I never expected to enjoy it this so much. It would be a perfect beer for those willing to be blown away by the potential of different ingredients that may exist in a beer. This is the oddest session beer I have ever had by far, and I would like another, please.

4.75/5  rDev +24.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.72/5  rDev +23.9%

thanks to Shaggy9356 for getting me this one...

A-cloudy hay colored with a good amount of white head, good lacing

S-mmm smells like sweet herbs, spices, and hops. there's a touch of maltiness and corn aroma in there as well. medium strength. smells great!

T-comes in with great herbal hops and bit of tanginess in there. it transforms in to a good tartness. the after-taste is full of the herbs and spices. this beer does have a slight plastic-like aspect to it, but i love this so much. its unique. it tastes like its a fusion of a saison and an IPA.

M-has a high but good creamy carbonation that has a slightly dry finsh

D-Well I've had many of these. I love it. I can't get enough of them! I can down these like water. the taste stays and it remains enjoyable all the way through!

4.57/5  rDev +19.9%

a pale golden beer with a small white head. spicey peppery aroma with a nice lemon citrus background.the taste starts peppery slides to citrus lemon and there is a hint of grassiness just before hoppy dry finish maybe a touch of funk in there to. nicely complex. the mouthfeel has a nice silky edge to it. very good. i want more.

4.56/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.54/5  rDev +19.2%

Saison du BUFF

Appearance- very hazy golden, lively white head that dissipates quickly.4

Smell- hops - green buds to the max 5

Taste- wow. Delicious. Sweet and citrusy but with huge hop and wheat finish.complex Balanced. spicy nutmeg 5

Mouf- easy 3

Drinkable - oh so drinkability 4

4.52/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a Riegel Chard glass. Should have poured into a pils glass.

Saison du Buff is a cooperatively created brew, with Victory allied to Dogfish Head and Stone, with each brewery issuing its own release. Vicitory was the last to issue. What a formidable bi-coastal and Mountain alliance.

This one (and probably Saisons in general) is an acquired taste, like Islay malts are for Scotch drinkers. Not everyone will appreciate the seasonings brewed into Saison du Buff, and particularly the predominance of sage in the nose and taste.

But I do. I thought this was a sensational beer for the taste-appealing oddness of the sagacious flavor. But be prepared for it. (And yeah, I'm partial to Islay single--malts as well.)

This glistered like glittering gold in the glass, with a very modest, quickly dissipating head. The nose and flavor were consistent.

I've had a few other Saisons, and I like those vegetal notes, but I haven't had any other Saison that, like this, made we stand up and cry, "WTF...!"

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%