Saison Du BUFF | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Added by garuda on 08-24-2010

1.39/5  rDev -63.5%

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

I had the DFH version of this in a bottle last year, so I thought it would be interesting to try Victory's version. I like Victory a lot, and I liked the DFH version of this beer. That said, I'll now say this: whew...this has gotta be one of the worst beers I've had since I entered the craft beer scene. I don't know if it was a bad keg or what, but something was clearly off here.

Served in a tulip glass, crystal clear golden color with a thin white head that dissipated almost entirely. Nose loaded with spices and stale funk, minor fruity esters. I kind of recoiled instantly, but I decided to go back for a taste anyway. Taste of bland malts and sundried tomatoes, overripe fruit, raw mint leaves, way, way too much rosemary on top of the other spices (I don't mind spices in beer, but the amount used here was literally sickening), phenols, grassy funk. I gagged half of this down before pushing it aside. Mouthfeel is chewy, medium body, very off-balanced, with a really stale, vegetal feel all over.

Rarely do I find a beer that I seriously cannot choke down, but this is one of those. I will definitely stay far away from this one in the future.

1.68/5  rDev -55.9%

2.13/5  rDev -44.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Clear yellow with a lot of carbonation. Smell of hops and citrus is above average. Usually Victory makes pale ales without all the bitterness that most breweries have. This one doesn't. Victory is a great greT brewery but this is the worse beer I've ever had from them.

2.26/5  rDev -40.7%

Pours a yeasty, bold, gold with no head or lace. The aroma is of yeast and slight citrus with a hint of wet hay. The flavor is lomony with notes of honey, dough, and some banana in the background. The mouthfeel is light-medium. Victory Saison du Buff is a decent beer, more like a slightly sour witbier than a saison/farmhouse ale. Recommended.

2.32/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

$2.79 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed withPilsner malt, wheat, rye parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme. Hopped with Centennial, Cascade, Citra
6.8% ABV.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear medium golden, forming a thin white head with poor retention and sparse lacing. Nose of cat urine, guava and papaya. Mouthfeel is crisp, biting acidity, tart, ruddy finish, peppery dry. Taste of cat urine and tropical fruit, pepper and herbs. Higher alcohols in the middle, medium bitterness, more than expected for the style. Bone dry finish.

Not my cup of tea. Ruddy, hot, the cat pee is way too much. Can not recommend this.

2.39/5  rDev -37.3%

Poured into a DFH pint glass

A: Poured a clear golden color with a small head, a little retention, and decent lacing.

S: I get a faint aroma of some of the herbs used here, but an overwhelming aroma of bubblegum.

T: Again, there is a huge bubble gum taste that dominates. I get the herbs on the back end but just barely.

M/D: Mouthfeel is good, with strong carbonation. Not really sure what happened here. I have had the 2 versions made at Stone and DFH and liked both of those. Just a confusing beer.

2.39/5  rDev -37.3%

12 ounce bottle - $2.99 at Hop City in Atlanta, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a lightly hazed, dim-looking yellow body with a large, foaming, white head.

Smell: Curious mixture of various notes of herbs, weeds, leaves, etc. The aroma reminds me of a just-cut lawn when the yard is simply rife with wild onions and wild garlic. Instead of being inviting, it's a bit unappetizing, really. Let's press on!

Taste: Lightly toasty, lightly sweet maltiness for a fast second, then it becomes like angrily chewing through a meal of pungent, just-picked common garden weeds. Who ordered the poke salad topped with low-grade chimichurri? Upsettingly harsh, bitter herb flavor with a curious garlic taste, but not a good garlic taste, more like it was carelessly overcooked, leaving it bitter and nasty. I'm sitting here stunned, with the mood-setting Simon & Garfunkel song Scarborough Fair still playing on loop in the background. The idea for the beer is interesting, the final product is not. Sadly, a lesser work from three renowned breweries.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium-plus carbonation.

Drinkability: This conversation is over.

2.4/5  rDev -37%

2.43/5  rDev -36.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

2.5/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.53/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -33.3%

A- Pours a slightly hazy straw yellow color with a huge, soapy white head. Head has descent retention and leaves some spotty lacing.

S- Smell is herbal, yeasty and a hint of bread dough.

T- Taste is yeasty funk, herbal and a bit of pepper. Quite a bit of herbs almost over kill. A bit of pepper in the finish.

M- Light in body and good amount of carbonation.

D- Pretty interesting ingredients listed on the bottle for sure. Just think they go better on food rather than beer. Found this one on the harder side to drink. Just didn't have the beer taste that I really enjoy.

2.67/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle from JustDoIt1234 (thanks). Enjoy by 11/11/15. Served in a goblet.

Pours a brilliant, clear golden yellow with almost two fingers of white head. The froth lingers, leaving a good bit of lace from its healthy ring.

Smells spicy and floral with notes of hay, earth, parsley, lemon zest and clove. It's ok but not a aroma that excites me.

The herbs and spices take over in the flavor. Clove, sage, rosemary, peppercorn, hay, earth, a mild, faint sweetness and a hint of some strange, off-putting metallic note. I honestly drank more than I cared for looking for a redeeming flavor before pouring the second half of the bottle.

Medium body with plenty of carbonation. Awkward, disjointed spicy herbal finish.

Wow. For my tastes this is a mess that I would not have expected from three brewers that I respect so much. The herbal additions unfortunately augment notes I happen not to care for in the style- thus taking a style I already don't gravitate towards and making it a complete turn off. Had this been my first saison it likely would have kept me away for good.

2.75/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Clear, bright golden hue, with a minimal head. Decent, but ususally Saison's have big, white pillowy heads.

S: Hmmm. I don't know what to make of this. Smells like a vege pizza without the cheese and sauce. And with lots of garlic. Bizarre. I can only imagine what it tastes like.

T: Again. Puzzled. I don't think I hate this, but I definitely don't think I like this either. Barely a hint that this one is actually a saison. Garlic and parsley are the first two flavors that hit me right in the "balls" of my palate. I guess credit goes to the brewers that collaborated on this one for trying something different, but sometimes different is not always a good thing. I doubt this was brewed solely for the purpose of cooking, but I think this might be the only useful means for this beer.

M: Good, solid strong carbonation, with a pretty watery finish.

D: One and done. Nice try to the brewers, but this one just doesn't sit well on the palate. I, for one love trying new and unique beers, but this one is way off of style, and way off on good, bizarre beers.

2.89/5  rDev -24.1%

$5 for this bottle.
It poured a hazy yellow color with a minimal white head.
Pleasant citrus aroma, but also a pronounced herbal presence, which was a little bit jarring.
Things went downhill from there. There was some lemon, a fair amount of thyme and rosemary, and a big, huge dose of garlic. I felt like I had just eaten some scampi or other heavily garlicked meal, and was breathing garlic.
The garlic and herbs made for a sharply unpleasant mouthfeel. Won't drink this again.

2.91/5  rDev -23.6%

Compared to the Dogfish edition of is beer, this version of Saison du Buff is lighter and much clearer -- a pale wheat color. Half an inch of white bubbles pops away in just a few seconds.

Gonna come out and say it: this smells a little like pee. There's a weird, urine-y funk that covers all the good stuff, which could be good if given the chance. Lemon, pear, black pepper...pee.

Thankfully the anomaly is gone from the flavor. Just-picked pears, pepper, coriander. Crisp and mostly dry.

Moderate, pinching carbonation. In a medium-light body. Just a touch of fizz. A hint of alcohol heat.

More citrusy than the other editions, and the potty aroma really turns me off. I wouldn't pour it out, but I probably wouldn't have it again.

Saison Du BUFF from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown