Saison Du BUFF | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Saison Du BUFFSaison Du BUFF

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Brewed in collaboration w/ Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Stone Brewing Company, and Victory Brewing Company, who each brewed a version at their own breweries.

Added by garuda on 08-24-2010

Reviews: 270 | Ratings: 687
4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

bottle into duvel tulip

A: pours golden yellow, with an lightly off white two finger slow falling head, with good lacing.

S: Rosemary is most powerful along with a citrusy sweet malt, very herbal.

T: malt sweetness along with rosemary and a bit of parsley and bitterness that is not all of hop origin.

M: bubbly and smooth as well as quiet crisp.

D: on par with the other saison du BUFFs.

3.67/5  rDev -3.9%

A: Pours a clear golden color, with a finger thick white head. Poured two of the exact same and both are much different in appearance and much more clear than the DFH version, very strange.

S: Has plenty herbal characteristics with some spice and citrus scents.

T: The upfront taste has a powerful citrus flavor with some floral hoppy characteristics. Finishes with a bitter herbal presence and maybe a bit of a yeasty taste as well.

M: Light to medium in body with moderate carbonation.

D: This is part 2 of the Saison Trilogy and I have to say this one was a bit different from the DFH version and to me, not quite as good. The clear color threw me off and I never recovered. A good beer don't get me wrong, just missing some consistency.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

12oz bottle poured into a Portsmouth tulip. Poured doing a side by side with the Dogfish Head version.

A - Pours a mostly clear golden color with some suspended fine particles floating in the liquid. Not much of a head forms and only a very thin white collar lingers at all.

S - Spicy as expected. Sage and thyme are the most noticeable...the rosemary definitely has a nice presence too. Not much else coming off of this for me. Spices all around.

T - Fruity and spicy. Rosemary and thyme shine here. Sage is noticeable too but just a click below the others. Spices are really the only major flavor components. Malt is barely noticeable and hops are difficult to pick out as well...hops seem to be there simply for balance and really don't stand out in the flavor profile.

M - Light to medium in body with medium carbonation levels. Spices dominate. Finish is very clean. Pretty much nothing lingers into the aftertaste...maybe a slight coolness, but that is it.

D - Good, enjoyable beer. Had side by side with the DFH version which, at least for me, surpassed this version. By comparison, the Victory version was less spicy, less aromatic...and a bit cleaner (which isn't necessarily the best thing for me in a saison).

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my Zatec fluted glass. 1 Finger of white head and a clear golden color. Head dies relatively quickly, and lacing is not present. Smells fantastic, like stuffing, minus the meat scent. The rosemary and basil are most prevalent. A lingering citrus hop-note. Tastes spicy, and then the rush of rosemary earthiness. Seems to have a bit more of a hop note than the Stone version. I need to do a horizontal though to be sure. Nice lingering bitterness. Dry and bubbly, like Champagne. Could definitely down a couple of these. Love this beer!

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

Hazy golden color with 1-2 finger head that lingered.

Aroma was floral in character and more powerful than other saisons.

Various spice flavors followed by mild hop bitterness made this very enjoyable to drink. The floral aromas, however, make this a brew that I could enjoy in quality, but not in quantity.

Well done.

3.74/5  rDev -2.1%

A- golder orange color that is more clear than the Stone and Dogfish version. The head compared to the Stone version dissipated quickly.

S- Herbaceous, with rosemary and parsley coming through on the nose with a slight minty-grass base,

T- Herbaceous right off the bat. Very refreshing on the palate when it is the mouth. More parsley in this version with a drier finish that has some rosemary and parsley notes.

Overall- After drinking all three these, the Dogfish Head one was the most balanced, while the Stone one had the most floral and hop like flavors while the Victory version was herbed/hopped in the sense of their Pilsner(if that even makes sense). Very enjoyable. The Victory version is my least favorite.

4.34/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured this into a pint glass. The beer is a clean yellow color with lots of visible carbonation and about a centimeter of pure white head. The smell is incredible, the combination of herbs really flourishes on this one. The rosemary and thyme are real noticeable front runners on this with a nice backing aroma of pale malts that are kissed with the slightest about of bitterness. One of the better smelling brews in my opinion. This taste as good as the smell. The herbs add a nice balanced complexity. Again, I can really pick up on rosemary and thyme and I notice a bit more hops in the flavor with a presence of pale malts in the background. The finish is slightly bitter with a reminiscence of green tea. Overall, this is a wonderfully light beer with the carbonation level I would expect. Probably one of the more drinkable saisons I've encountered.

4.14/5  rDev +8.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Chouffe tulip

Pours a lightly chilled golden yellow with a one finger paper white cap that didn't stick around all that long. No discernible lacing. A very small amount of visible bubbles.

Herbs leap out of the glass. Rosemary and sage especially. Crisp herbal profile up front with a bright citrus hop balance. A little bit of band aid like funk just to make things interesting.

The hops shine through quite a bit more on the tongue. Bright citrus and bubble gum hit first with the band aid coming through in the middle. The finish is heavy on the herbs and citrus and brings a decent amount of bitterness to the table.

Light body with a smooth, somewhat silky feel. Carbonation is soft and subtle, which is great. The flavors really work well together and make this guy super enjoyable and drinkable.

This is definitely not the standard for the style, but is welcome to the family. I like the way the herbs play alongside the hop profile. They complement and enhance in just the right spots.

2.89/5  rDev -24.3%

$5 for this bottle.
It poured a hazy yellow color with a minimal white head.
Pleasant citrus aroma, but also a pronounced herbal presence, which was a little bit jarring.
Things went downhill from there. There was some lemon, a fair amount of thyme and rosemary, and a big, huge dose of garlic. I felt like I had just eaten some scampi or other heavily garlicked meal, and was breathing garlic.
The garlic and herbs made for a sharply unpleasant mouthfeel. Won't drink this again.

3.36/5  rDev -12%

12oz bottle $3, oddly one dollar cheaper than the Stone or Dogfish Head versions. This one seemed to have a lot less herb influence, it was hoppy in the smell and taste and the flavor reminded me of oranges and witbier more than a dry saison. Needs more rosemary. This was just a lot less clean than the Dogfish Head version if that makes any sense at all.

4.05/5  rDev +6%

Part II of my du buff trilogy of tastings, this one is pretty good, though not as good as I remember its Stone Counterpart. It pours gold with nearly no head, the little bit it had was white. Smell is spicy and hoppy. Taste is as complicated as its stone brother having many different spices hitting the taste buds from all sides however it just doesn't seem to have achieved a perfect balance the way the stones one did. Overall it is a good tasting beer though and better then some others I have had recently. Is still pretty crisp and lite which is how it should be. I also find it pretty drinkable and one I wouldn't mind drinking again.

3.73/5  rDev -2.4%

I had the stone version of this on tap, just a sample so I didn't review, and it was OK, but nothing special. Hopefully this one is a little better.

A nice frothy head rises about a finger and fades slowly over brilliantly clear golden yellow wheat colored beer. A little too light perhaps.

The nose brings some interesting aromas, light wheat and malts, a slight saison and farmhouse dryness, light crisp aromas, light mild grassy hops, a little honey, and some spices. There is a very familiar spice in the nose that I can't pick out... rosemary! Tons of it. I think I get some coriander too. Plenty of rosemary, with other light spices, I think I even get a bit of heather.

The taste is spicy, lots of spices! Plenty of rosemary still, tons, with coriander, other spices, I still think heather, touch of cinnamon and pepper, and other spices. Some light wheat and malt flavors somewhere in there. A light bitterness, I think a touch of a mild grassy hops. Some light saison dry farmhouse characteristics, but not much. I think I get a touch of honey too. I light flower like taste too, perhaps the heather, or perhaps some chamomile. It finishes still pretty light, but lots of lingering spices and a little sticky honey feel, but still pretty dry on the finish.

THe mouth is lighter bodied with lower carbonation.

It has a mixed bag drinkability. It is a very light and crisp saison beer, mostly drinkable, but the spices run rampant and start to make it more of a mixed bag of drinkability.

3.78/5  rDev -1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz Bottle from Chips

A - Beautiful pale gold. Clear with a finger of head which faded into a thin layer with multi-sized bubble lacing.

S - ROSEMARY sweet rosemary. Also some citrus.

T - Herbal goodness with a sweet tart flavor. All sorts of herbal flavors left at the end.

M - Highly carbonated but still smooth.

D - It was tasty, but I don't think I could have more than 2 of these.

3.52/5  rDev -7.9%

Pours a clear, pale straw color, with effervescence traveling upward to a thin white head that disappears quickly, leaving thin lacing. Nose is sweet citrus, lemon peel, herbs, a hint of pepper and coriander, and slight phenol. Thin-medium body is built by malty sweetness, with orange and band-aids, spice, and finishes with citrus pine.

An interesting effort, but strangely bland. Sweetness dominates the otherwise well-balanced flavors. Very refreshing, but pales compared to other saisons.

3.97/5  rDev +3.9%

Onto the final brewery release of this collaboration that I've sampled. Pours into my glass a hazed goldenrod with a quarter inch of bubbly white foam that falls to a ring along with mellow active carbonation. Aromas kick off with fresh cut herbs...sage rosemary and thyme all come to the forefront. Semi-sweet sun drenched malts underneath. Nice and punchy.

First sip brings a rush of fresh cut herbs upfront alongside a smooth, semi-sweet malt. Sage and rosemary blend with the thyme and parsley undertones nicely. Lemon zest accents along with a touch of herbal spiciness. Herbs are well integrated and not overpowering. Finishes with a lingering earthy accent.

Mouthfeel is light and crisp with fast paced bubbles. A bit of a slickness as well. Overall, after trying all 3 I've come to quite enjoy this brew and I can't really say one version is superior to the others by any means. They have subtle differences only. Glad to have been able to try this one...it would be nice as a summer seasonal for any of the 3 breweries!

4.42/5  rDev +15.7%

Reviewed after the Stone bottled version. Differences noted in this review.

Poured into a MJ, The Beer Hunter, tasting glass.

Pours a pale golden hue with a thick white fluffy head. The head did not last as long as the Stone version. leaves lots of lace on the glass.

Aromas of lemon (thyme?), rosemary, and yeast. Not as in your face with the herbs as I was expecting. Rosemary not as dominant as the Stone verion.

Has that saison peppery bite, with lemon and rosemary undertones. Again, not as over the top with the herbs as I was expecting. The herbs are in a very nice balance. Very similar to Stone version.

Mouthfeel is a little fuller than Stone version. A dry beer, as it should be, but not as dry as Stone version. Leaves a little "pucker" effect at the end of the taste, as with the Stone version.

Drinkability is high. I think I could drink this all night and not get palate fatigue from the herbs. Done very nicely. Worth replicating at home, since I have a nice supply of fresh rosemary in the garden. Same impression as the Stone version.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

12oz bottle into a DFH Signature glass pours a crisp pale yellow with a thin diminishing head. Aroma is sweet lemon zest and sweet malts with a nice side of spice. The taste is a nice amount of sweet malts, tangy lemon and very nice spices. The beer is quite smooth and crisp with well hidden alcohol. I have to say, this may be favorite of the three, but I'll withhold that judgement until I have all 3 side by side, I'm glad I bought an extra bottle of each.

3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

From 09/14/10 notes. Had on tap at FireWorks in Arlington, VA.

a - Pours a golden, very clear color with no carbonation and one inch of white head.

s - Smells of spices, piney and citrus hops, wheat, bready malts, and light fruit.

t - Tastes of spices, citrus, fruity malts, wheat. No funk.

m - Light to medium body and low carbonation. Pretty easy to drink.

d - A pretty good saison that is heavy on spices and citrus hops. No real funk to it. About on par with the Stone version, would give another shot.

4.17/5  rDev +9.2%

Pours a light gold color with a one-finger head into my glass. Looks kind of sterile for the style.

Lots of citrusy hop goodness to greet my nose. There's barely a hint of spice from the yeast present.

The hops dominate the palate upfront with a decent grassy, citrus feel to them. No surprises here. Just a hint of spice from the yeast.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering grassy/citrus flavors. They leave a good indentation in the mouth.

It's definitely an americanized saison and if you've had Stone's version of this collaboration beer, you might expect the same. I like Victory's twist on it and I would love to have it from the tap.

2.76/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Clear, bright golden hue, with a minimal head. Decent, but ususally Saison's have big, white pillowy heads.

S: Hmmm. I don't know what to make of this. Smells like a vege pizza without the cheese and sauce. And with lots of garlic. Bizarre. I can only imagine what it tastes like.

T: Again. Puzzled. I don't think I hate this, but I definitely don't think I like this either. Barely a hint that this one is actually a saison. Garlic and parsley are the first two flavors that hit me right in the "balls" of my palate. I guess credit goes to the brewers that collaborated on this one for trying something different, but sometimes different is not always a good thing. I doubt this was brewed solely for the purpose of cooking, but I think this might be the only useful means for this beer.

M: Good, solid strong carbonation, with a pretty watery finish.

D: One and done. Nice try to the brewers, but this one just doesn't sit well on the palate. I, for one love trying new and unique beers, but this one is way off of style, and way off on good, bizarre beers.

3.35/5  rDev -12.3%

Appears pale golden slightly hazed hue with a bright white head and forms fine even lacing down the sides of my glass. Aroma full of fresh herbals alot of rosemary/citrus/grassiness. Malt base shines through with pale biscuit malt tones and spicy yeast characters. Flavors hit maybe too aggressive with with botanical/herb additions. Full on stem/leafy rosemary bitterness masks many aspects of a nice saison that could be here somewhere...I thought the Stone version was rough and the DFH a bit more palatable, but this one is unbalanced on it's own. Use as a marinade with some chicken breast or serve it with a nice meal, on it's own this is a bit much. I can't picture this flavor working in a regular offering, interesting experiment, but I've done enough sampling of these herb/spiced brews with these 3 interpretations. Mouthfeel dry in the finish with overkill herbaceous qualities, medium bodied decent carbonation. Drinkability overall I think I've said enough about my sentiments on the repeat drinkability, serve in small portions with herbally infused meats.

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%

Victory's version of Saison Du Buff is a nice saison and the first of the series that I have had. I have the rest of the them and am looking to try them all together to compare.

This beer is a light crisp beer that was very pale and had almost no head. The beer smelled primarily of freshly crushed sage, rosemary and lemon peel. The beer definitely had the flavors from the herbal additions as well as a sound bitterness and peppery bite and a tartness in the sweet finish. For me it was a bit too sweet and the herbs dominated the flavors and aromas not really balancing with the beery contributions. The carbonation was a bit low for my liking. Overall this was a good beer that was well made and easy finished

3.04/5  rDev -20.4%

Served in a snifter at The Firkin.

Part II of the BUFF triple play. It pours a generally clear pale straw topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises light pasta sauce (a red one), garlic, Belgian yeast, and a more-than-healthy smattering of window-box herbs, mostly those four Simon and Garfunkel entries. The taste holds notes of wheat, horse blanket, the aforementioned herbs, Belgian yeast, greens, and a light kiss of citrus hops. The body is on the lighter side, with a light moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Overall, I find this thing to be a miss. The herbs just don't do it for me. Without them, I think this could have been a pretty solid saison, but that point's moot now.

3.7/5  rDev -3.1%

Victory's version of Saison DuBuff is served up a deep golden color with a very creamy and sticky looking white head. The head fades to leave a ring around the glass and leaves splashes of lace here and there on the glass.

The aroma is full of piney herbal notes that are very fresh smelling. This seems to be much more herb and spice forward than the stone version of the brew. There is also a sweet, slightly orchard like sweetness in the aroma and a hint of that unmistakable saison yeast note.

The herbal bouquet is much more subdued in the flavor. The slightly wheaty pale malt comes through a lot more, but this beer is far from sweet, and in fact I find it to be more bitter than an average saison. There is a real mintyness in the flavor, and a bit more pine and the sage are coming through. I have to note, while the herbal flavors are interesting, they seem to be completely obscuring the peppery and slightly funky esters that I enjoy so much in this style.

The body is on the lighter side of medium and very dry. The finish is quite balanced though, and the carbonation is very nice. I am getting an interesting aftertaste in my mouth that I am pretty sure is coming from all the herbs.

Refreshing, but just like the stone version of the same beer, this is just not convincing me that I should have another. I was very intrigued by how different the same recipe tasted when brewed with different water and on different equipment. Hopefully I will be able to track down a DFH version so I can complete the trifecta.

4.02/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured out of a bottle into a pint glass

Appearance is a light copper color, very clear. Tiny one finger head dissappears quickly.

Aroma is incredibly fragrant, lots of herbal notes coming through. Almost a ginger scent in the back.

Taste is great, herbs hit up front, really spicy. Not much yeast character, just lots of herbs and a bit of bready malt and finishes dry and a touch bitter.

Mouthfeel is full, definitely not as thin as some saisons.

Drinkability is pretty soft, all those herbs and that dryness, one in a session is plenty for me.

Saison Du BUFF from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown