Dark Intrigue | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

User Reviews & Ratings
firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
Reviews: 304 | Ratings: 738
4.32/5  rDev +11.6%

Had this one at Capone's yesterday, courtesy of LIVEFAST...thanks Alan! (A little in the bag at that time)

Appearance: Pours an opaque obsidian with a brown crown that displays some retention and lace.

Smell: The whiskey / bourbon vanilla greet the nose right away. Storm Kings classic dark chocolate and roasty malt base rounds it out nicely.

Taste: Same as nose but with the tiniest amount of citrus hop presence. You really have to dig for it.

Mouthfeel: Heavy body with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Not bad despite how hefty this brew is. A welcome barrel treatment for Storm King IMHO. Get it while ya can!

4.4/5  rDev +13.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Oh the one that is surrounded in mystery or intrigue as the name suggests. Shared with petesuphi, Jwiss22 and stakem the night of the release. Storm King is one of my absolute favorite beers of all time and one I consistently drink for any occasion. So why wouldn't I enjoy a bourbon barrel version of it even though I am pissed at Victory Brewing Co at this moment in time. Get ready for this ride!

A- This one pours a ridiculously black color that when held up to light none passes through, many stouts have a little brown hue, but this one has almost none. It's so dark in color that it made me afraid to drink it because I was sure it wasn't beer, but old burnt and expired motor oil. It is awfully viscous looking with a tiny off white dirty head with some dark brown spotting. There is very little carbonation probably due to the fact that it was bottled under a week ago and has not had any time to develop in the bottle. Simply put this beer has an inviting entice to it and is simply beautiful. Almost just want to stare into it's "dark intrigue" but who just looks?

S- Wow! Right away I am greeted with a delightful vanilla aroma that is accompanied with a faint bourbon smell. After some more warming I pick up more bourbon that leaves a little alcohol burn, but it is still very pleasant. Further warming brings out the oooohhh so familiar roasted malts and sweet dark chocolate I was waiting so patiently for. I love the smell of this beer and would love a deodorant or cologne that smelled like this. Any chance of that one Bill and Ron? I am also picking up some of the bittering hops that makes regular Storm King so odd of a Russian Imperial Stout. Really, really pleasant smelling beer.

T- Pow! A punch right in the face of the delicious roasted malts that have been carefully selected for this batch of Storm King. I love the ridiculous roasted malt taste and cannot get over how delicious it tastes. I am also greeted with a very subtle bourbon heat that works well with the hops to an almost citrusy bitterness. Really enjoyable. Further sipping and I pick up the woody, earthiness of the bourbon barrel. A welcome taste that leaves me wanting more and as I continue to indulge I am not able to pick up the vanilla I was looking for from the smell, but the barrels have brought out an unexpected surprise and left the finish with a sweet, dark chocolate taste. I really enjoy the complexity and experience this beer has provided for me.

M- There is almost no carbonation present in my mouth, it is very light and does not dance or prickle on my tongue. Instead my tongue and mouth are coated in the viscous delight of the experience and allow me to continue to taste this beer throughout the night. It is not exactly full bodied, but definitely more than medium bodied. It coats your taste buds and mouth and stays there to remind you of the experience later. An exceptional beer has become extraordinary by simply marrying it to a barrel.

D- The high abv is hidden in the subtle bourbon heat. I could drink a few of these because it reminded me a little of drinking a freshly made chocolate milk with Hershey's syrup. Although I would not advise this as a session beer or drinking the whole bottle by yourself because it could easily get you into trouble since it is damn tasty.

So hopefully this beer finds you and hopefully Victory releases it again at some point after they figure out the whole limited release bottles process. Long live Storm King stout, maybe Bill and Ron will bring us espresso aged Storm King in the future?

4.43/5  rDev +14.5%

Managed to score a case of this limited release at the brewery.

A - Pours a deep brown/mainly blackish color.  Thin lacey head slowly dissipated throughout the session.

S - Roasty malts and bitter chocolate notes hit immediately. Bourbon is very evident in the nose.

T - Light bourbon flavor is at the forefront, not as much as the nose would suggest.  Smokey, roasty malts come through clear.  Hints of bitter chocolate are faint on the backend.

M - Full bodied with low carbonation.  Slightly dry, but not too much.

D - Very drinkable.  Easily could take down a bottle of this (maybe more).  This is not a session beer by any means, but it is very drinkable.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer a lot.  The bourbon taste is not as prominent as the nose would suggest, but the taste is very smooth.  The big malt taste, balanced alcohol, and slight unsweetened chocolate taste make for a memorable beer.  I look forward to drinking this again in the future.

4.37/5  rDev +12.9%

A huge thanks go to Jwiss22 for hooking me up with this since I couldn't make it to the release and big thanks to petesuphi for having a bottle in his hands for a mere 30 seconds before ripping the cage off, popping the cork and pouring it into several glasses for us (stormking47 included) to enjoy.

This is a corked and caged 750ml offering with a bottled on date of 11/19/10 poured into a snifter. It pours black in color with barely an indication of lighter brown around the edges which display a bit of clarity. A swirl revives a couple of bubbles to the surface which creates a thin film across the top and a few bubbles collect around the inside perimeter of the glass.

The aroma of this brew is smooth vanilla sweetness upfront. A bourbon tingle hits the nose with a piercing alcohol burn. Dark roasted grains are present which impart some chocolate notes. There are some citrus hops in the back end along with a light touch of something that smells somewhat like licorice.

The taste is bitter dark roasted grains reinforced with a smack of bourbon heat that is a little tangy upfront. The barrel aging aspect comes across different in the taste than the aroma led on. Instead of smooth vanilla, it is a bit woodsy and dry on the tongue. The roasted grain contributes a bit of residual sugars and some citrus hop character comes in to add some depth to this brew. The oak contribution continues in through the middle which is more woodsy and only contributes a light vanilla sweetness through the finish to mellow this bold brew out.

This is medium to full bodied with a light level of carbonation. It is smooth in the feel but might be considered hot right now for some considering how out in the open the bourbon flavors are. I found it to be an exceptional brew and a nice addition to the already bold brew that Storm King is. Tossing it into a barrel was a good call and it is about time it happened. I know the experience was less than ideal for some who attended but this is really one fine brew. I hope this beer finds distribution and those who struck out on release day get a chance to try it, it is worth the effort.

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last