Headwaters Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Headwaters Pale AleHeadwaters Pale Ale

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by thagr81us on 02-14-2011

Ratings: 2,600 |  Reviews: 611

4.14/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Enjoy by June 24, 20... the stamp fades here, but I assume it's 2012. I hope.

Crystal-clear amber-straw color. A teeny bit darker than I expected. 1-2 fingers of head fade down to a nice lacing. Attractive beer.

Smell is full and very rich with deliciousness. This is likely in my head, but I think I detect a hint of corn. I actually like a little bit of corn, so that's not a deduction for me. VERY enticing.

The taste is hoppier than the smell would suggest. Excellent initial level of bitterness, followed by that same richness of malt. Despite the smell, I don't taste any corn. Very tasty.

Light-medium fullness. I could do with a bit less carbonation. Leaves bitterness behind, but doesn't coat the tongue and finishes fairly dry. This is the beer's weakest category, but it's certainly not bad, or even below-average.

Odd that I've had so many other Victory beers before trying their flagship offering. It's a very solid pale ale, enough so that it might compete with Great Divide DPA as my go-to choice if it was more readily available in Colorado.

4.18/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a nice golden with amber hues. One finger plus head with good retention and nice lace. Aroma is of citrus, hops with notes of bread. Body is the lighter side of medium with some carbonation. Taste is a crisp well balanced treat. Nice grapefruit edge to the finish. Very nice.

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

In general, a very nice looking beer. The aroma is not too bad, not too great either. The taste is for sure the best part of the beer, VERY drinkable but also VERY delicious. It's what a pale ale should taste like! Mouthfeel was oaky, nothing great but I can't really point out anything negative. Overall, this is a really good beer! I'd recommend it to any beer drinker looking for an overall good pale ale! This is what I come to expect out of victory brewery, nothing amazing, but if I'm looking for a good beer to drink, I will trust them to supply it.

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

3.65/5  rDev -6.6%

A-Clear carbonated orange with a one finger head

S-Malt, some citrus hops and buttery notes

T-Starts with malt and some spices, pepper-like, some citrus notes and a little bit of grass.

M-Light to medium bodied, some carbonation

O-The best buy date was two weeks away when I had this beer, but it seemed to have started to turn. I'll look for another fresh one but so far I was disappointed.

3.5/5  rDev -10.5%

3.49/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear amber color with not really anything but a thin film of white head.

The scent is dominant of citrus hops, there is also notes of caramel malt.

The taste is also dominant of bitter citrus hops, bready and caramel malt are slightly noticeable.

Light body, smooth and creamy with a crisp dry finish, low carbonation.

This was an average pale ale, I thought the flavor was a little thin but nothing too off-putting. Overall a pretty decent beer, but next time I think I'd pass on the cask.

Headwaters Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown