Headwaters Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Headwaters Pale AleHeadwaters Pale Ale

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by thagr81us on 02-14-2011

Ratings: 2,599 |  Reviews: 611

4.73/5  rDev +21%

Appearance was not notable

S - general mix of pleasant hops...citrus, pine, floral

T - bitter then sweet then floral then resinous bitter with clean finish

M - Solid carbonation, the reason this beer rates so high is that it is full of delicious hoppiness, yet without an overwhelming bitterness that accumulates on the palate

O - an extremely drinkable pale ale

4.69/5  rDev +19.9%

Light,clear orange, with a nice half-inch of fluffy white head.Lacing is rather minimal.

Sweet citrus,floral hops, combined with nice sweet malt backbone. Wow,very inviting. I love this very pleasant aroma,nice citrusy hops are there right in your nose,with the steady level of malt sweetness. Yes.

Upon sip,what I experience in the nose is pleasantly repeated on the tongue. Good bitter citrus hops,yet very restrained, which is appropriate for a pale ale. Sweet caramel malts. Good medium body,with average carbonation,not too much,just the right amount of it.

Yet another winner from Victory,they never cease to amaze me, and always fail to dissapoint me.

4.68/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Not really a pale ale, much much closer to an IPA than a pale. Doesn't matter though, this beer is very tasty. Two fingers of head with respectable lacing. This beer has a fair amount of hop aroma and is well balanced. Overall a great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%

Clean floral hop aroma. Transparent straw/light amber in color with white head. Juicy and medium in body. Big grapefruit citric hop presence up front followed up by a balancing juiciness on the back end. Unique and well balanced. Flips the presence of the malts and hops. Slightly minty upon finish as well. I normally think pale ales all taste the same but this one shines amongst the crowd. Love it.

4.65/5  rDev +18.9%

Pours a thick cottony white head. Body is very dark orange/amber color. For the abv and the style it looks exceptional. Smell is sweet grassy, earthy, pineapple, caramel malts. Very potent in the nose with all these pleasant smells. Nice clean hop bite upfront. Mellows out into a smooth caramel malt. Not as good as the smell but still leaps and bounds above a lot of pales. Taste is also grassy with a bit of grapefruit. Very oily and bubbly mouthfeel. Overall this is one the best Pale Ales I have ever had. Very clean and refreshing. Should be a real summertime crowd pleaser!

Good one! A clean and lightly hopped APA

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.64/5  rDev +18.7%

Bottle into a nonic

clear golden body with a small white head. A very nice citrusy hop smells is present, wow, maybe a bit of pale malt too but I have to say this APA is one of the best smelling around. I'm impressed with the flavor as well. A nice citrus hop flavor is incredibly well balanced with the pale malts. Finishes with a nice hop flavor but isn't overly bitter. Mouthfeel is light to medium body with a light carbonation. Drinkability is extremely high on this one. I'm really blown away by how good this beer is. Well balanced but with plenty of hop flavor, honestly I think this is the best APA I've ever had.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Freshly tapped at Eli Cannon’s with CBaller the GC

A- Golen copper body, white head, nice lacing.

S- Floral hops with a nice spicy lemon zest. Smells magnificent out on the picnis table patio on a warm summer day listening to ben harper’s burn one down and slightly stoopid’s false rhythms.

T- Very nice herbal citrus hop kick with a spicy bready backbone. “This is a tasty beverage.” (Samuel L)

M- Nice crisp zesty beer with a dry smooth finish.

D- A nice hoppy pale ale that hits all the right marks for me. Love this one from victory. Might be my favorite.

4.62/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From a bottle into a stemmed tulip. This is a local brew for me, one that I've come back to often as an after work beer. A beautiful IPA, clear amber body, soft head, top smells of grapefruit. Very hoppy in front slight malt aftertaste. Leaves a nice citrus hop taste overall. This is something that one could drink over and over as I have.

4.6/5  rDev +17.6%

4.59/5  rDev +17.4%

$9.99 for a 6'er at BevCo. No real stats on the mfgr website, just "Imported, 2 row German malts, Whole flower American hops, 5.1% ABV".

Pours out to a very clear dark golden, forming a tall white head with good retention and lacing. The aroma is great, with aggressive pungent hops...think Simcoe and Amarillo...skunky, funky...a hint of biscuit malt maybe in the nose. The mouthfeel is crisp, clean and fresh, with a medium body. The taste is a recap of the aroma...aggressive pungent hops with a well-balanced malt body, and well balanced herbaceous bitterness. Clean finish, no perceptible off-flavors or aromas. Very well crafted.

This is a great beer. At 5.1% ABV, you can drink a few and not get tanked, but it is still very flavorful, kinda reminds me of Stone Levitation in that respect. I would definitely recommend it and would like to buy it again.

4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

I suppose there's a cap on how "exceptional" a beer like this can be. Mostly because I don't think it sets out to be "exceptional". So, with that in mind, I suppose I can understand the good but not great reviews.

And, I guess, that explains why I'm not giving it 5s all across, because I certainly could were I simply judging it on how well it does what it should do.

I mean, assuming the goal was to produce a delicious and sessionable brew that goes down easy but reminds you that you're drinking something tasty, then I've got to say they nailed it.

Honestly, this beer was love at first sip for me and I could drink a vat of it were I more thirsty.

Juicy malts set off by lively but not over-aggressive hops.

Is the new standard bearer as far as I'm concerned for the modern American Pale ale.

Headwaters Pale Ale from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown