Headwaters Pale Ale | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Headwaters Pale AleHeadwaters Pale Ale

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by thagr81us on 02-14-2011

Ratings: 2,606 |  Reviews: 614
2.66/5  rDev -32%

The first time I try a new beer I get so excited....after the first sip I was somewhat disappointed. Vicory is usually either hit or miss. I love their Lager & Prima Pils. I'm not a fan of the Golden Monkey or the Hop Devil.

I was drinking Samuel Adam's Noble pils on tap prior to drinking the bottle of Headwaters Pale Ale. The first sip threw me a curve ball. Maybe it was the sudden change from one beer to another, but the next few sips were the same. I thought I was drinking a flower. Yard's does a great job with their Pale Ale where they underbrew the hops for a more aromatic taste. Victory appears to have stopped way to early, and all of the taste is coming from aroma hops.

I'm glad I was a given a bottle for free and didn't spend $38 bucks on the case. Others appear to enjoy this beer, but my taste buds say no.

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

2.68/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours a lighter honey color (like clover) with a bloom of head from an aggressive pour. Head drops quickly to a film of off-white.
Smell is all hops, herbal and piney with just a whiff of malt.
Taste is the same: herbal and evergreen hops with just a hint of malt.
This drinks like a "west coast" beer, almost an IPA in its hop forward attitude. No balance because there is nothing for the hop to balance against. A true "one note" song.
Medium bodied, restrained effervescence. A bit of biscuit comes into play well into the aftertaste. Dry finish. Not a bad beer but it definitely is off style, IMO, and that's what I'm supposed to be rating it on.

2.75/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.76/5  rDev -29.4%

2.82/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours a slight copper-hued golden color with half a finger of head.

S-Smells of lemon and guava with some light grain notes.

T-Slightly bitter, almost floral notes with a light malt backing.

M-Very light-bodied with medium carbonation and a very drying finish.

D-I'm glad I got this in a mix-a-six; I'd be hard-pressed to buy another one of these.

2.83/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

355ml Bottle from Asda, Glasgow (£1.82):
Disappointing stuff here from Victory, the beer opened well with nice tropical fruits & a lot of pine with some citrus in there as well but in both the nose & the taste these all passed quickly & left little more than a bland, basic beer that was more lager than pale ale. There was the odd touch of earthy bitterness, a faint hint of floral & some biscuit malts but none of these was overly pronounced & the beer just seemed boring & weak throughout; I'd expected much better.

2.86/5  rDev -26.9%

04/13/14

On tap at blend. Look is Dark gold,clear. No head. Aroma Is vegetable,cedar,.
Taste is crisp ,ash and wood. More veggie. Ok.

04/10/17