Oak Horizontal | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

victorybeer.com

Style: American Barleywine

Added by jzeilinger on 12-28-2012

3.99/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into my Brooklyn Brewery tulip from a cork-and-cage bottle.

A - Pours a deep amber with not much head, though a nice ring remains aroud the edges. No lacing, but effervescence is very active, creating a beautiful, bubbly beer to look at.

S - Caramel malts and alcohol, with a combination of fruit that is reminiscent of apricots. Wondering where the barrel is hiding.

T - Dark fruits, caramel, and alcohol dominate up front. Towards the back, you get a hint of the bourbon barrel and creamy vanilla, as well as a touch of citrusy hops. This is a pretty complex beer, reminiscent of an old ale with the dark fruitiness that comes through. This is neither too sweet nor overly hoppy, but the alcohol is noticeable as a result.

M - Fairly high carbing for a barleywine, though it's not unpleasant. The aftertaste is dominated by the dark fruit and citrus hops, and is quite good. The alcohol presence thins it out a bit too much for the ABV, but still pleasant to sip.

O - I feel this would have benefitted from more time in the barrel, as it would have absorbed more of the bourbon and oak flavors, which may have muted the alcohol presence a bit more. However, the hops are very well done - they don't overwhelm the beer at all, but complement the other flavors perfectly and really shine in the finish. This is very close to being a world-class beer, and I look forward to having another in 6-8 months to see how a little age treats it.

I picked up a bottle of Victory's Oak Horizontal a couple months ago for $15.49 at The Lager Mill. I tried Old Horizontal last month and I thought it was a fairly nice Barleywine, but it was a little heavy on the hops, so I'm interested to see how the barrel aged version is, so lets see how it goes. 2013 Vintage. Poured from a brown corked and caged 750ml bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks similar to Old Horizontal's but with an oak barrel background, it looks nice and it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice slightly orange amber color that took on a copper and slight ruby hue when held to the light with a half a fingers worth of light tan head quickly died down to a very thin ring that quickly faded away and it didn't really leave any lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking Barleywine, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness followed by the barrel being the first to show up and it imparts some vanilla, oaky, light alcohol and light bourbon like aromas with the oak really sticking out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice caramel and toffee like aromas with a little bit of sweet malts showing up in the background. Towards the end comes the hops which impart some piney and citrus hop like aromas and there's also some dark fruit aromas in the background. This beer had a pretty good aroma and I thought it was fairly complex.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness that has a slight brown sugar like flavor to it and it's followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice caramel and toffee like flavor with a little bit of dark fruits in the background. Up next comes the barrel which impart a pretty even mixture of vanilla, oaky, and bourbon flavors with a pretty noticeable alcohol flavor that's a little boozy and fairly warming. On the finish comes the hops which impart a nice citrus rind like hop flavor with a higher amount of medium bitterness with a caramel and barrel like aftertaste. This was a pretty good tasting beer, the barrel seemed to do a good job at keeping the hops in check.

M- A little smooth, a little boozy and warming, rich, a little sticky, on the lighter side of being full bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer, I have no complaints.

Overall I thought thought this was a pretty good beer and a pretty good example of a Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine, it had pretty much all of the aspects that I look for in the style and I thought it had a nice amount of complexity to it. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little smooth, a little sticky, a little boozy, rich, fairly filling and the taste did a nice job at holding my attention, this one is a sipper and I think half the bottle is a good amount for me, but I wouldn't rule out drinking a whole bottle and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy on a cold winter night. What I liked the most about this beer was how well the barrel kept the hops in check, it did a really nice job at balancing out the hops. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was a little light on the bourbon aspect and I wish it showed up like the oak did. I don't know if I would buy this again because it's pretty pricey, but there's a good chance that I'll buy it again when they release it next year. I would recommend this to people who enjoy barrel aged Barleywines. All in all I was pretty happy with this beer, I thought it was a very solid example of the style and the barrel really helped this beer by keeping the hops in check and my biggest complaint with Old Horizontal was that it was very hoppy so I prefer this one over Old Horizontal. This is one of the better Victory beers I've had and while it's not my favorite Barrel Aged Barleywine it's still a pretty good one. Good guys, keep up the good work.

Oak Horizontal from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown