V-Twelve | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

V-TwelveV-Twelve

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Belgian Quadrupel (Quad)

Heady with a aromatic fruity start and taste, this amber ale features hints of pear and apricot in its well-nuanced flavor. The initial impression of fruitiness concludes in a refreshing dryness that begs you to sip again. Be fore- warned, this ale is immense as it registers 12% abv.

User Reviews & Ratings
firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last
Reviews: 636 | Ratings: 1,392
4.44/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

rusty copper brown with a minimal head. aroma is of belgian yeast and candied fruits. minimal carbonation lends a full, lucious mouthfeel. tastes initially fruity followed by a cutting dryness from the hops. alcohol taste is non-existent, but a warming in the belly begins within a few sips. fuller and smoother than V-10, this beer tastes ready to go at only about 6 weeks from bottling. aging should do nothing but improve it's characteristics. this is the best stab at a belgian style victory has attempted. excellent.

4.03/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled on March 11, 2003.
Pours a medium brown, mahagony color with a fine, whispy head. Alcohol and esters are strong in the aroma. An aromatic beer, with smells of wood and pine, and an occationally leather. First taste is very malty and slightly medicinal...and you can almost taste the sugar. The taste of rasins is in there too. A little oily. A pleasing alcohol warming hits you right away....too much of this would hit you hard. It's very good, but not outstanding for the style.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Another new addition to the line of fine biers at The Wine Society in Tyngsboro, MA... 750ml bottle, dated 11MAR03 (for $8.99).

The color of 12 is a very striking, bold copper hue. It is clear throughout (so far, anyway...the yeasties are still resting comfortably at the bottom of the bottle), but there was just a very thin head topping the brew. The head shrank until just a bit o' bubbles congregated around the perimeter of the glass. No lacing at all, either.

A candy-ish, sweet aroma seemed to be most prevalent. Along with that were some whiffs of tropical fruit, and a subtle spicy character. Alcohol, too, rears its not-at-all ugly head!

I enjoyed the mouthfeel, as the body was nicely medium in quality, and it passed easily over the tongue. The carbonation produced a bit of a bubbly/foamy feel, but it was enjoyable all the way.

The same aromas I mentioned seemed to be present in the flavor lineup as well. Sweetish malt and sugary, rummy notes, tropical fruit, a spicy, sort of peppery twang near the dryish finish....all combine in making 12 a savory selection from Victory. An alcohol-induced warming in the belly is an added attraction.

A well-made bier....improves as it warms, too. I'm wondering if age may help as well.... Prosit!!

overall: 4.2
appearance: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

I first tasted this at its unveiling at the MJ Tasting in Phila. on 3-22-03 and have since sampled it at the brewery at the BA event and purchased a case of the stuff last week so that tells you a little about how I feel about the brew already but here are some of my notes.. also be careful when drinkin' a bottle of this on your own.. it packs a punch! I had 2 DFH 60 min IPA's and one Hoegarden last Fridat night with dinner and then decided what the hell try a bottle.. well needless to say I had a headache the next day.

Sweet cotton candy nose with a pinkish red color. Orginally on the pour you get a nice white head but this does not last long due to the ABV. You are left with a little puff of white in the center of the goblet as you drink. Sweet aromatic flower hot taste along with corriander. Wonderfully floral taste. This is a kicked up sippin' American/Belgian style brew! And it will only get better in my cellar!

4.25/5  rDev +6%

Package: 750ml caged & corked bottle, labeled 12% ABV, Cork stamped 2002, label marked “Mar 11 03.” Bottle-conditioned.

Cost: $6.99 at Bottle King

Presentation: tulip glass at 45º. Cork was tight, but easily removed if opened properly: hold bottle in one hand and wrap your other thumb and index finger tightly around the cork (a bar-towel or napkin helps with grip), and twist and pull THE BOTTLE.

Appearance: Glowing, burnished auburn-ruby color. Lazy, large-beaded carbonation. Remarkably clear for a bottle-conditioned ale. Only the lightest dusting of lees at the bottle's bottom. Vigorous pour generated a thin, evanescent head.

Smell: HOT! After the alcohol onslaught; malt and yeast were detected, along with a faint spiciness. Alcohol overwhelmed any expected esters.

Taste: The alcohol jumped out hotly at first. Then the malty sweetness became apparent, along with more complex components of banana, sweet-tart apple, candied fruit, yeast, and faint nuttiness. The hops played a minor role. There was also an oxidized taste, which provided a drier edge. Evolved greatly as it warmed. The finish was sweet, warm, and very long; flirting with becoming cloying. Age will likely dry this out.

Mouthfeel: Very warm and mouth-filling, giving a creamy, full-bodied sensation. This was very slick and unctuous. Carbonation was secondary to the hotness on the tongue. Seemed much stronger than 12% ABV.

Drinkability: Normally, I don’t judge drinkability on the quantity I can drink in a sitting. However, with this beer, I have to say that the sweetness, strength of flavor, and alcohol made this more like a cordial than a beer.

I set aside a bottle of this for the final round of The Masters. I took it out about 15 minutes early so that it warmed up and the lees would settle. Next time, I'll serve this closer to 40º to see if the alcohol and sweetness are subdued. This beer knocked me on my butt. I felt a buzz almost immediately! Maybe it was psychological, or because of the big nose and heavy sweetness; but this seemed to have more of an effect on me than Raison D’Extra or WWS! Also much bigger than the similar Unibroue 11. This is a bruiser. That said, I was impressed enough that I went back and bought more for cellaring. I expect that this will evolve very well. A work-in-progress. A V-12 Ferrari would be proud of!

Bottom Line: If Churchill had this instead of his beloved Pol Roger, his “V for Victory” hand-signal might have meant something else!

4.34/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours with a minimal, barely off-white head that settles over slightly yeast-hazy russet/golden liquid. The nose is super fruity with a subdued Belgian horse blanket aroma with sweet, sweet maltiness. Taste is big on fruitiness, with initial notes of banana, malt, spice and a decent hopping, followed by a warming alcohol stance. Finish is fruity, sticky, alcoholic and bitter...all of the things I love in a good ale! A bit young and brash, good drinking now, cellaring can only improve upon the previously described flavor attributes.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

When I saw that The Beer Yard was hosting a V-12 tasting I had to go. I was at Victory Brewpub the week before and heard all about
this fine product.

When I arrived at the Beer Yard the lot was full. The tasting got a nice turnout. One of the local resturants was catering the event and the food was fantastic.

The tasting was hosted by one of Victory's salesman. He asked if I wanted to taste the other beer first to break in my tastebuds, but I said no, Im here for the V-12. He handed me a full sample glass and I took a drink. The aroma was plesant and the taste was hoppy yet not overpowering, The beer tasted crisp and very drinkable, not overpowering.

After finishing my sample I looked around the store, marveling at the amazing selection of craft beers that were available for purchase.

After a few more samples I grabbed a case of Victory to take home.
I wanted to go catch the hockey game. Good beer, and a good game, the perfect evening.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

I enjoyed one of these marvelous brews with irishredrock, then I bought one at Victory to save for a bit. Now, I need to go back to Victory and grab a few more.

A slightly cloudy golden pour with big old mass of foam on top that refused to go away. Beautiful spicy aroma loaded with hops and just a little bit of breadiness.

The complexity of this beer is incredible. It has a great deal of hops, yet they are well balanced by malts. It has a very crisp mouthfeel at the start, and it then gradually smoothes out and lets every little flavor hit your tongue like silk. Breads, and a hint of roasty malts come in at the finish. This beer really is 12%, but you will have no idea until you finish it. I picked up one little sip where I could barely catch the alcohol sneaking in. Victory did one amazing job with this brew.

4.37/5  rDev +9%

Oh sweet mama where have you been all my life? I was surprised to see that the Flat Rock Saloon had bottles of V-12 on hand. And so being there with my good friend and fellow BA ElGuapo, we had to have a bottle. The 750 was corked and caged, and it did take a few seconds for Bob to pull that cork off the bottle.

I was surprised at the color of this beer as it was poured. I expected a much darker brew, but that's because I am stupid and figured it would be a dark ale. It's a nice golden amber color. The aroma was wonderful right from the start. Very spicy, hoppy aromas in addition to a light fruitiness.

Amazing tasting beer! So light, and dare I say, refreshing (?) at 12%. Smooth, light bubbly mouthfeel. Loads of hops with subtle undertones of yeast and citrus fruits. There is surprisingly little notice of alcohol, but oh you will know it's 12% when the bottle's gone. I definitely need to grab a bottle of this to let sit and enjoy a few months down the road. Seek out and find, and get 2...one for now and one for later.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

750 ml. corked and caged bottle and man, did I have a time getting that cork out. I see Victory does not want to repeat corking errors found in the V 10. Anyway, this beer's appearance is a quite clear and lustrous red orange. Small head fades quickly and nose reveals big malt and fruity esters. Whoo boy! This stuff is a bit young. Remarkably sweet upfront and bitter hops are undetectable, which is no surprise. I believe the hops are there and lend to a smooth finish and somewhat cut the cloying sweetness. The nice fruity characteristics found in the nose are found in force in the flavor. Not bad. Mouthfeel is smooth and slightly creamy with small carbonation. Alcohol is there and makes its presence known first on the palate then later in the head. Good creeper beer. A little age behind this bad boy and I see it being much better.

4.5/5  rDev +12.2%

750 ml bottle, corked & caged. The year is on printed on the cork. The body is a surprisingly clear, very deep amber/orange with glowing highlights. Tiny bubbles rise in steady streams to the creamy white head. It's short-lived, but it probably just needs some conditioning. The aroma is malty and fruity with a very light spiciness. The body is firmly medium with a very fine carbonation that tingles the tongue before becoming creamy in the mouth. Smooth and malty! The flavor delivers a very rich, sweet, and fruity (both light and dark) malt that's well-balanced by underlying bitterness and yeasty spiciness. Some alcohol is clearly present, but it's not overbearing and should mellow with some cellaring. Rich! Supple! Excellent! 6 months of aging will do wonders for this beer. Absolutely worth seeking out. Buy it now and put it away for special occassions! It should be quite nice in time for Thanksgiving, and will make an excellent after-dinner drink shared with good friends!

firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last