Swing Session Saison | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Spring

Seasonal release beer brewed w/ German & American whole-flowers, 2-row German malts, Rye, Oats & Wheat. Spiced w/ peppercorn & fresh lemon zest. Belgian saison yeasts.

Added by Tucquan on 02-26-2013

1.05/5  rDev -70.3%

A: Clear and watery

S: The worst smelling beer I have ever smelt. It smelt of oil and plastic, I literally could not believe what I was smelling.

T: The taste followed the smell and I felt as though I had just drank melted plastic with oil. As the beer warmed up there was a definite increase in the peppercorn taste.

M: Thin and watery.

O: I can safely say this was the worst beer I've ever had. I'm not sure if this was a skunk batch or what, but I could not believe Victory would release a beer like that.

1.25/5  rDev -64.7%

1.25/5  rDev -64.7%

1.75/5  rDev -50.6%

semi-hazed golden color with a big fluffy bright white head. Nose is incredibly funky. Lots of strange belgian notes. As it open it starts to smell a bit better with some banana notes. Bit of must and funk.

The first sip was really offensive but it got better, maybe my tongue just needed to adjust. Light sparkly body musty belgian funk, banana notes spicy finish. Prickly with barnyard flavors. Not as refreshing as they planned i think a definitely a musty tasting beer. Also for being something sessionable it is incredibly filling. Also it starts to get a bit soapy as you go on drinking it on the back end. Also now picking up some buttered toasted biscuit flavors. Drinkable once you get acquainted with a soft sweetness, mild bitterness and possibly too much spice. Wouldn't recommend it or suggest it.

2.44/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Picked this one up because Victory is really growing on me. Acquired at a bottle shop in the L.A. area. 4.5% ABV confirmed. Self-described on the label as a "Session Saison." I will review it as such. "Ale brewed with spices." 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with straightforward label art and branded blue pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high.

Served cold, straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a modest two finger head of white colour. Slight cream is noticeable. Thickness is generally good. Pretty decent (~4 minute) retention - though the low ABV makes this relatively easy to accomplish. No lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a somewhat dull pale yellow redolent of unwashed straw. Not a clean or crisp looking beer. The clarity surprises me given the style; this is transparent and translucent as can be. Clearly filtered and not at all typical of a good saison. I'm on high alert looking at it; things are not as they should be.

Sm: Definite citrus - primarily in the form of lemon; it's not that juicy or gushing but it's fairly pleasant. Straw, a light lactic touch, and lemongrass. Pale malts. Light buried orange. More typical of a witbier than a saison, to be honest. I do get some spices but my broken nose is terrible at identifying them; cilantro perhaps? Clove? It's a grainy aroma, but it isn't refreshing and clean. Above average in strength. The lactic character is a highlight, but I'm not sure it belongs here.

T/Mf: Hmph. Light lactic character alongside a dazzingly thin, boring, and bland foundation comprised of generic pale malts, straw, and a bit of lemongrass. The entire second act comes off empty and weak. Lacks sufficient body. Awkwardly thick up front and on the finish yet borderline watery and thin in the middle. Too wet. Smoothness is also weird. Bizarrely constructed. Luckily, the flavour does pick up on the climax with a surge of lemon citrus zest - but it lacks the refreshing punch it should have. Hopping is minimal, generic, and floral. No yeast character or alcohol comes through. Light spices; I'd guess cilantro, clove, and perhaps even ginger and garlic/onion. One of the only positive features of the mouthfeel is its crispness, which really sells this as a spring beer. Badly balanced - both structurally and in terms of flavours. Bizarrely off-style. I'm not a big fan of this.

Dr: Drinkable but unremarkable, and one of the most underwhelming "saisons" I've had this year. Even the Blue Moon saison was closer to the style than this. A severe disappointment from Victory. I'm glad I only bought one bottle; I wouldn't want to have this again. I definitely wouldn't recommend this to friends. Pass on this one if you come across it. None of the complexity, subtlety, or balance of an artful saison is in any way present here.

D+

2.49/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Not my cupo tea. It was overly floral and perfume like. Way to much in the way of herbs and flowers

Swing Session Saison from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown