Swing Session Saison | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Saison / Farmhouse Ale

Availability: Spring

Seasonal release beer brewed w/ German & American whole-flowers, 2-row German malts, Rye, Oats & Wheat. Spiced w/ peppercorn & fresh lemon zest. Belgian saison yeasts.

Added by Tucquan on 02-26-2013

3.88/5  rDev +6%

Golden color in the glass with a touch of amber. Plenty of foam and a pleasant pricly mouthfeel. Lovely nose of cloves without too much of it on the tongue. Spicy and very light bodied without a hint of fruitiness. Bitter aftertaste. Quite hoppy. Light but unmistakable barnyard funk.

Thoroughly interesting light beer, but it's the driest Saison I've ever tasted. Pleasant brett flavor. It reminds me of Green Flash Rayon Vert, with the dry funkiness. From the 12 oz bottle purchased at Bottleworks in San Diego.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

First had: on tap at Victory, Downingtown, PA

Hazy straw-yellow pour with a finger or so of foamy white head that retained as a ringlet; small amount of lacing. In the nose, pale malts, toasted grains, yeast, essence of citrus and grass. Pale/pils malts in the taste, grassy, slightly musty, saison-y spice notes, hints of lemon zest. Not bad, but as with most saisons made by the "big boys," this one just doesn't cut it with me. Light-medium body, crisp and drinkable, just not something I'd go for again.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

12 ounce bottle - $1.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a hazed, light straw-hued body with a medium-small, white head.

Smell: Fragrant citrus shrouds the particularly pale maltiness, with bits of grain-flecked dough with subtle florals and a melange of spiciness.

Taste: Pils malts, hints of other such grains sprinkled with a fine dusting of powdered sugar. Floral hints meld into citrus notes from the hops and citrus fruit additions which shimmy into a spiciness from the yeast, peppercorns, and hops, aided by the crisp carbonation. Dry, spicy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Medium-high carbonation for a lively, zippy mouthfeel.

Overall: I'd always thought the Victory V / Helios Ale saison was a bit too chewy for me, bodywise. This new Swing Session Saison is bright, light, and refreshing.

3.96/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Hazy, light gold color. Small head that settles to thin layer of bubbles. Great ring lace with thin blanket trail between each sip line.

Mild aroma for a Saison. Notably missing--the earthiness and sour nose.

Quite dry, with a strong coriander and clove bite. Complex flavor with a low pale malt touch and a moderate white pepper hop finish. The aftertaste reminds me of fresh basil and oregano. The body is good if thin and highly carbonated. For me, the lack of earthy and sour flavors make this a more enjoyable, if slightly off style, Saison.

3.46/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I picked this up as part of a mix-a-six at Giant in Linglestown, PA, enjoyed chilled from a tulip.

The color is resplendent with hazed golden accent and thin white cap w/ tight bead. the smell is very phenolic with a mix of herbal hops and yeast spiciness with a subtle smell of actual spice which comes off tropical and has a ginger quality. The feel is good with mild malt texture and highly carbonated and dry with spice and yeast w/an assertive bitter element and bondy dry hoppy finish.

The flavor is good with some yeast and spiced to begin with however there is a bit too much hop astringency with a peppery hop taste coming in mid palate and overtaking the ginger which comes off as sharp as a result. The flavor of the yeast starts to emerge as it elevates in temperature, however the clash of hops and spice is not as pleasant as I hoped without much to cushion the impact in the malt dept. Overall kind of gave me an impression of prima pils with saison yeast and spice added, but not nearly as drinkable as Prima with a hop flavor that is not as subtle and the flavor could compliment the spice more, but I think the ginger is too heavy for such a low abv saison.

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

I am going all-alliterative on this one since it was a Cooler Curiosity for me at Hunger n Thirst and Victory seems to love sibilants - Swing Session Saison. It's like I was telling the Old Lady the other night - baby, it don't mean a thing if it ain't got that Swing! We are contemplating becoming a Swinging couple, but she has me settling for watching "Swingers" on DVD. I'm putting in a Swing set and not in the backyard, either. Up in the bedroom, where it belongs! Schwing! Swing and a miss! Hey, batter, batter! Paul Cezanne was known to be a Swinger and his sessions were groovy, man. I'm going to Swing by the neighbors' place later for a beer. All right, let's get this Swinging scene in motion.

From the bottle: "Swing. It's a lively jazz rhythm, a vigorous sway, a change of view or even a roll in the proverbial hay. Now, it also means the welcome jolt of joy you'll experience upon your first sip of this session saison. Bracing but benign, thie Belgian-style ale enlivens any experience with a spicy, aromatic start, citrus snap and fresh finish. Swing into spring with taste! [undersigned] Bill [&] Ron The Brew,asters of Victory"; "Ale Brewed with Spices".

See what I meant about alliteration?!? I may use this as an example with my students in the coming school year (SY). BTW, the bit about "a roll in the proverbial hay" always puts me in mind of Terri Garr in "Young Frankenstein" who took it literally, much to Gene Wilder's chagrin. "Wow, what knockers!"

The two fingers of rocky, bone-white head rose and fell like an elevator (simile) as I poured it from the bottle into a shaker pint glass. Finally, it simply fell like a souffle when the oven door is banged shut. Doing that to a souffle disturbs me, but the gorgeous lacing that this left behind did wonders for my attitude. Color was a cloudy golden-yellow and i must have disturbed the lees as it was initially pouring very clear. I am glad that the yeast is back in suspension as that is where the flavor is derived and who ever heard of filtering a Saison? Nose on this was full-on lemon zest, leading me to wonder what spices were used. I'd bet that coriander was one of them. Mouthfeel seemed to be on the thin side, tending to watery. Is that a characteistic of the style, I wonder? The taste was still very lemony, but now the black pepper phenols were really beginning to assert themselves. I spoke, in my previous review of Ithaca's Ground Break, of pairing a Saison with grilled fish, like bass. This beer would also work well, but as a second choice. I liked it, but not as much as the previous one. Finish was dry and lemon-peppery and a nice representation of the style as I understand it. Worth a go!

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Lagunitas mason jar.

I'd make a Swing Kids reference, but no one saw that movie (and I don't fully remember it, myself). Anyway, this stuff pours a partly cloudy straw topped by a finger of white foam. The nose comprises lemon peel, coriander, sweet flowers, and light funky wheat. That lemon is rather strong, but luckily not artificial. The taste holds notes of old and musty lemon (both zest and rind) and a mild blend of vague spices, which are nearly out-shouted by the lemon. The body is a light medium, with a moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, this saison just didn't work. I'm assuming a lackluster yeast performance, but it was just a never-ending blast of bad citrus with occasional bits of muddled spices. Definitely not for me.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

The body is transparent and pale straw with a little over an inch of fluffy white head. the aroma brings hops, funk, farm, sunshine, lemons, lemon rind, grass, a touch of spice. Nice floral notes and hops. Light and refreshing. I'm really digging the light body and low alcohol. A thirst quencher of a beer, and packed with flavor. I'll have no trouble with this sixer and definitely see this as a repeat purchase for hot weather beer consumption, i.e. lawnmowing beer.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%

Draft served in a tulip shaped pint glass. The brew appears a clear yellow color with streaming bubbles of carbonation through solution. A white topping rests atop fading quick leaving stringy lace on the wall of the glass.

The aroma includes notes of peppery spice overtop a rough grain feel that is like straw or hay with a mild touch of wheat. Herbal hops are present blending into a light cirtus component.

The flavor is herbal hops somewhat grassy with wheat evident. Some mild citrus notes and an earthy to peppery and clove-like spiced aspect from the yeast.

This is a light bodied brew that is fittingly dry, crisp and refreshing. For being a smaller sessionable saison it is a little rough around the edges.

Served up at Mad Mex pours with a gracious white capped head, eggshell white lovely and textured with effervescent carbonation the body is golden slightly hazed nice looking beer served into their house pint glasses. Aroma has citrus, floral and earthy spice, peppery with a yeast presence driven in this fine tasting session ale from Victory. Flavors were light palatable and complex. I got a lot of citrus fruit, spicy pepper, mango, guava tropical notes with a bready yeast appreciation that kept the beer flowing on the palate. Light herbal grassiness is I'm guessing the hop presence in this beer known as Swing Session Saison. I wish more beers out there had this much complexity in an under 5% alcohol by volume. Medium to light bodied carried by lively carbonation spices tend to sit on the palate between sips, but this was pure session ale. I doubt you will be able to have just one go forth and enjoy this type of beer with friends, I know I did.

2.75/5  rDev -24.9%

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

A - bright clear, yellow gold with a thick, dense cap of soft, pure white head that has good retention

S - intense Belgian yeast spices; clove, sage, some pepper. There is also a note I can't quite put my finger on, but it reminds me of old baseball card gum

T - intensely spicy, clove, peppery, herbal hop character, sage, rosemary, mildly bitter, a bit vegetal, some malty notes underneath all the herbal, earthy notes

M - medium bodied, crisp, well carbonated

This is a really nice Saison. It's full flavored and surprisingly intricate for what I expected to be a "small" beer. I could see myself working through a few of these on a hot day. It reminds me a bit of a toned down version of the Saison du BUFF. It's definitely worth a try for Saison fans.

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a clear straw color with a large pristine white head.

Smells of lemon zest, coriander and other strong spice, citrusy hops too. Smells very nice.

Taste is light citrus hops, zest, mild spices but less than in the nose. Slightly watery but still good.

Carbonation is good, body is slightly watery though.

7.0/10