Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

White Monkey | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Tripel

Belgian inspired Tripel ale, Golden Monkey aged for 3 months in oak white wine bbls.

Added by Jonada on 03-05-2013

4.16/5  rDev +8.1%

1.5/5  rDev -61%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a murky honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is slightly sour and funky with malt, honey, fruit, white wine, and wood aromas. Taste is much the same with slightly sour malt, fruit, funk, white wine, and wood flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of acidity on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with interesting sour and funk qualities from the white wine barrel aging.

Serving type: bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

750ml corked and caged bottle into Tired Hands stemware. Shared with schen9303.

Pours a rich .5 finger white head with moderate retention. Beer is a clear goldenrod. Lacing is thick, layered and spotty with decent cling. Looks nice though the head could use a little work.

Nose is grape must, wood, cinnamon, molasses and brown sugar. Not much spice happening nor are there any yeasty notes. Still, decent if a little subtle.

Flavor is of grape must, wood, honey, molasses, brown sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg with a big, spicy ending. Real sweet with a nice overtone of green grape fruitiness. Nice but this is definitely a bit awkward for the style.

Medium bodied with ample carbonation. Prickly and lively in the mouth and goes down accented with a crisp finish and slightly lingering aftertaste. Enjoyable!

Not what I was expecting at all from a barrel-aged tripel. No real funk or any sort of Belgian flavor profile. That being said, this is still a surprisingly enjoyable beer. Won't win any style points though.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%

3.75/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours a deep golden color with some sediment. The aroma had the wheat and Belgian yeast smells I get from the regular Golden Monkey, but there's also a bit of oak and slight booze. The aroma is not markedly different from the standard.

In the taste, more sweetness and pale malt, Belgian yeast, and vinous green grape notes. Oaky tannins are in the finish. Light herbal note from the hops. Alcohol is well integrated.

Medium bodied ale with a medium carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty good barrel aged beer, but some wild yeast infusion could have taken this to the next level.

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

Way better than Golden Monkey. The extra age really makes the finish smooth.

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

4.75/5  rDev +23.4%

4.16/5  rDev +8.1%

3.61/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Victory Brewing Company's White Monkey a couple weeks ago for $8.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been meaning to try this beer for a little while, I had Golden Monkey a few years ago and I thought it was just ok and I'm interested to see how it takes to being aged in white wine barrels, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 750ml corked and caged bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but the colors are pretty bland and I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a very hazy golden color that took on more of a golden orange color when held to the light and it had a finger and half of bubbly white head that quickly died down to a thin ring that eventually faded away and it left some small spotty lacing behind. The was a nice looking beer,. but I wish the head and retention were better.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the Tripel base being the first to show up and imparts some typical Tripel aromas that are just a little on the light side and the Belgian yeast seems to show up just enough. Up next comes a slightly musty and funky aroma that lead right in the wine barrel which imparts some nice white wine aromas that are very similar to a standard bottle of white wine and it's followed by some nice woody and oak like aromas. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I wish it was balanced just a little better since the white wine barrel aspects seem to dominate this beer.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma but much lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the Tripel base still being the first to show up, but it's even lighter than it was in the aroma and the Belgian yeast just comes through a little. Up next comes a slight alcohol flavor and it followed by a lighter amount of that musty and funky aspect that I got in the aroma and it leads right into the wine barrel which imparts the exact same aspects that it did in the aroma, but this time they are lighter, but it's still the wine barrel that sticks out the most. On the finish there's a slight amount of bitterness with an even slighter amount of tartness and it had a very white wine barrel like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the Tripel base showed up more, it's a little hard to pin point this as a Tripel from the taste alone.

M- Fairly smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. This beer had a pretty good mouthfeel and I thought it worked nicely with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer, but I didn't think it was too recognizable as a Tripel, but for a Wine Barrel aged beer it seems pretty standard and I thought it lacked some of the balance and complexity that I was hoping it would have. This beer had nice drinkability, it was fairly smooth, very crisp, slightly prickly, dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did a nice job of holding my attention, I think half the bottle is the perfect amount for me, but I think I would be able to drink the whole bottle if I had nobody to split it with and I think it makes for a nice beer to enjoy on a warm summer evening. What I liked the most about this beer was the mouthfeel, I thought it was pretty good and it was the aspect that worked the best with this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it seemed like the Tripel base got pretty overshadowed by the white wine barrels. I might buy this beer again, I wouldn't turn one down, but I'm not going to be rushing back to the store to by more, but I did think it was reasonably priced. I wouldn't recommend this beer to everyone especially if they aren't a big fan of White Wine flavors, but I think this might make a good gateway beer for wine drinkers, it's worth giving a try once to see what you think of it. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love it, it had some nice flavors and a pretty good mouthfeel, but with the lack of balance and complexity made it a little rough around the edges. This isn't my favorite wine barrel aged beer, Tripel, or Victory Brewing Company beer, but it isn't a bad beer, it's just not really much of a stand out. Nice job guys, but I think with a little work this could be a pretty good beer.

White Monkey from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown