Love Belgian Beer?

DirtWolfDirtWolf

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Brewed using whole flower Chinook, Citra, Mosaic, and Simcoe hops.

Added by aengleman on 09-27-2013

Reviews: 822 | Ratings: 6,461
2.16/5  rDev -49.4%

Not sure why all the high scores. very pale. taste is chemically and rancis. I've had other Victory beers which I love. Not sure what happened here....
aroma is not off-putting
but flavor certainly is....

2.37/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Was really excited to try this one after being disappointed by the Hop Ranch. Unfortunately I didn't find this one much better. Tasted and smelled a little too much like an sweaty gym sock. I don't get the hype, but different people have different tastes, especially for IPA's. I must just be more of a West Coast IPA guy.

2.49/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

After reading reviews of this beer, I feel like I'm drinking a different beer. The aroma reminds me of underarm sweat, really off putting. The same quality comes across in the taste. Victory usually makes a pretty decent beer but I think they missed the mark on this one. I wouldn't buy this again. I bought a 4 pack and it's going to be a chore to polish it off. Really disappointing beer.

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

wow, I have been a fan of the Victory beers from way back in the day when I lived in DC. Moved to AZ ten years ago and could not get it until recently. when it came available a few months ago, I immediately picked up some of the Prima Pils and it lives up to my memory and remains a great pilsner. being a huge IPA and double and imperial IPA guy, I was really excited when I noticed DirtWolf at Total Wine. I got a growler and brought it home to pair with some rare seared sushi grade salmon and kale salad. dinner was great, but in short the DirtWolf was a drain pour, a waste of $6.99 IMO. it wasn't like the keg was bad, maybe it was, but rather this beer seemed to have the hop profile, but it seems like a one dimensional beer, no backbone to speak of, flat tasting yet with seeming plenty of carbonation. vinegar like. just kind of a cheap IPA. I would probably buy a 12oz bottle one time to try it again to see if I had a bad batch or if I just wasn't in the mood, but from the growler experience this stuff is not good. I dumped it.

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well let just say up front that this is just my opinion so if you like dw then disregard this. It's okay it's drinkable and it's an ipa so what do I really think well I don't know but to me it was just not there, yeah I could like this on a day when I don't have anything else in the fridge to drink but would I go to the store and buy it? No way. First of all the smell, it smells like piss at times the look well it's nothing unusual so lets leave it at that, the taste? lest just say that tomatoes with a hint of plastic came to mind and feel? I didn't feel anything, not even a tickle. So there you have it folks it's just okay in my eyes but who knows you might have better vision than me.

2.82/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

L: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a golden yellow color and a slightly hazy texture. There was a small, foamy head that quickly dissipated. Spotty lacing.

S: An oddly muted aroma of hops, malt, and a fruity ingredient.

T: The taste here is not so pleasant: A whole pile of grassy hops, along with a little malt and some citrus (lemon, especially), combined with an almost chemical element, make this a difficult flavor to like. The citrus is nice, but everything else destroys any semblance of balance.

F: A fair amount of carbonation with a very thin, almost watery finish. Light-bodied.

O: All things being subjective, the bevy of high scores for this beer are kind of baffling. This is one of Victory's rare misfires.

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle $2.79. Thank God I bought a single. Bright yellow orange, good head and lace. Aroma is really thick and earthy hops but then a strong plastic aroma. Flavor is astringent alcohol and plastic notes. Not really a pleasant beer at all, would not purchase.

3.09/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Really eager to try this anticipated Double IPA from Victory, love their stuff!

A - Nice, hazy golden yellow . Mellow, yet inviting

S - Ok, now I get it. I have seen and heard the term "cat pee" and always shook my head. I won't anymore. Wow, about as uninviting as it gets, and I get that this particular hop has that effect.

T - MUCH better than the smell. starts out grapefruit, more pith than peel, bitter, piney grass, and subtle tangerine in there somewhere. Sticky - bigtime. But that good bitter you want from a double.

M - smoother than what it sounds, definite layers and various taste profiles here. I kinda dig that. Not a boring offering, that is for sure!

O - I expected more. Unfortunately when there is a lot of hype for a product, there is an expectation that you cannot help but to have. There will be those who swear by this, and those that will not get it, not even for a minute. I fall somewhere in between, as I think it is worth a try, but does not rock my particular vote. Am going to grab some Harvest ales next....

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I did a blind review of Lagunita's Sucks, Long Trail Limbo, Victory Dirt Wolf, and Green Flash Green Bullet. These notes and ratings were recorded before I knew which beer I was drinking.

A - Pours a very hazy, creamy orangish color, with three quarters of a finger of creamy head. Moderate carbonation slowly climbing to the surface.

S - Bitter and unpleasant.

T - Very light, watery hop flavor. Hint of onion?

M - Light body. Decent carbonation.

O - This bottle was just barely a month old, so I'm not sure if that had an impact, but this was a very mediocre DIPA. The aroma was definitely off. I'll try to re-review this at a later date with a super fresh bottle.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden body with a 2 finger white head that reduces quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Hmm.. not the most inviting aromas in the world.. grass, onions, some pine, floral, biscuits.

T- Matches the nose.. pretty oniony, floral, spicy on the aftertaste.. some resinous bite on the finish.

M- I'll give it this.. you can't really tell it's 8+% alcohol, pretty smooth for that ABV. Somewhat overcarbonated though.

I didn't enjoy one aspect of this beer. Even if it was a little past it's prime for an IPA, it was downright terrible. I never get that "onion" note that people talk about, but I got it full force on both the nose and the tongue in this beer. No thanks.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

The smell, taste, and appearance are very good for this beer. This is one of the better Victory beers. What I do not like is that the taste is present for a second or two, then it is all alcohol burn. I believe if they can mask the alcohol better, it could truly become a quality brew.

3.21/5  rDev -24.8%

$ 8.99/4-pack at Giant Eagle
Bottle best by Jul 05 2014 at 45 degrees into imperial pint glass
Aroma markedly citrus and flowery – no pine
Head large (5 cm), frothy, white, mostly diminishing into a 2 mm thick head
Lacing good, multiple lacey rings the depth of the pour
Body light yellow with slight hop haze
Flavor begins bitter and flowery, no citrus, no pine, no alcohol, no diacetyl, no balancing malt, just bitter with an astringent aftertaste
Palate light to medium, slightly oily, soft carbonation.

Unimpressive, just another DIPA, like drinking a bitter perfume. Glad I only bought a four-pack.

3.23/5  rDev -24.4%

On tap at D&T in Houston.

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention and lace.
S: Bitter and resinous pine sap up front. A fairly soapy aroma as well. Lingering bitterness in the nose.
T: Bitter, resiny pine sap. Soapy and oily with a lingering bitterness that just does not go away. I can't really get much else.
M/D: A full body with moderate carbonation. Though this has a big oily and soapy consistency. Big alcohol, and not much else to counter the large and lingering bitterness. Not something I really care to finish.

Pretty much everything I don't like in a DIPA, and pretty much the opposite of Hop Ranch. Not something I particularly enjoy. Maybe self proclaimed hop heads mileage varies.

3.25/5  rDev -23.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Draft, The Refinery, Newhall, CA 2/21/15) Not sure why I don't like this one as much as a lot do on BA, maybe it is the combination of the hops used. It didn't finish as solid by beer's end.

3.26/5  rDev -23.7%

I really want to like this beer. To me it's an average double IPA. There is not a lot that stands out. Of course it is a matter of preference. My ideal DIPA will have a very pungent hop aroma and this has very little. Taste has a little piney resin on the front with some sticky earth tones on the back. Not bad, just not for me. Poured from a 12 oz bottle 30 days prior to 'enjoy by' date.

3.33/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Thick orange sap body with floating mass of white wash over top. Thick lacing develops on the sides of the glass. Aroma of grapefruit, citrus with rind, palm leaves, and sharp fruit soap. Flavors mirror the aroma but with a more pronounced grassiness, a bright lip-puckering fruit effect, and boozy undertones. Thick in body with medium carbonation. A standout beer for Victory. Not as menacing or dirty as its name suggests but rather a hoppy fruit bomb that will be familiar to any double IPA drinker.

3.34/5  rDev -21.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Light yellow is not my favorite color for beer. It had little to no head or Belgian lace.

The good strong spicy hop smell and taste is my favorite part and for its poor appearance it had some body to back it up. I'd however expect more from a double IPA.

Mouthfeel is also more then I expected.

For the high bitter hop crowd I would recommend this offering.

3.35/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at Dogwood Growlers in Kennesaw, GA. Great place.

Appearance 4.0: Really nice amber-golden color to this beer. Nice 1/2" head quickly faded into very attractive foamy residue that lasted the entire session. Good lacing.

Smell 2.75: Note to brewers: adopt a male cat. Litter box train it. Now, when blending hops for your IPAs (Imperial or otherwise) make sure that -when combined-- they do not produce a smell like the cat's urine. If only the brewers at Liberty followed this simple procedure. Bleargh. However, there are some good points to this beer's bouquet, it's just that the cat urine thing...yeah, hard to move beyond it.

Taste 3.5: Front is...nuts, I still detect some of that cat pee at this taste level. Nonetheless, the middle is a revelation with a big kick of lovely pine, grapefruit rind, a subtle floral taste; all balanced with a very pleasant maltiness. Finish is big in the front of the palate with malt, sweetness and hop bitterness, then fades quickly into the Aftertaste level which is long and hoppy and very satisfying. Almost makes me forget about the cat pee.

Mouthfeel 3.5: Typical C02 carbonation (it's a growler, duh!) that was right on the money for the style.

Overall 3.5: Good beer and good example of the style. Not a hint of the massive ABV this bad boy packs, so be careful. However, let this beer stand as an example to other brewers: match the blended hop scent with care before you go into final production.

3.36/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Smooth beer for the amount of alcohol, but a bit too sweet for my taste; also a bit too carbonated. It was very good, but there are a lot better double IPAs out there.

3.38/5  rDev -20.8%

I have to say this one fooled me. I first poured it and was surprised at the clear gold color. Very little amount of head, perhaps I should have poured it more aggressively. The aroma isn't as pungent as I would have expected it to be. This beer ends up winning on your taste buds. The hops are well balanced and really puts out a fine finished product.

3.39/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Overall its a good IPA but nothing special. The bitterness was there but flavor was lacking. The flavor of most great IPAs is a mix of hops, citrus, and many other notes. But DirtWolf was more of just the bitter hop side and had a bread/cracker after taste.

Not a bad IPA, worth a try. I feel that theres many others that are much better

3.43/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle served at cellar temperature into a pint glass. Enjoy by date of February 21, 2016.

Appearance - Pours a nice bright golden color, lighter in color than many DIPA's. A small head of about three quarters of a finger is poured and lingers for a short while before coalescing into a thin film. Many small bubbles and a little bit of tiny sediment pieces floating around in the glass.

Smell - Deep resounding grapefruit aroma initially with some blend of orange and mango with a overripe dankness lingering behind. Someone mentioned rubber, and that's as close as I can come to describing one of the other (off) aromas although sweaty gym socks might be a close second.. Nose just keeps coming in an it's not my cup of tea.

Taste - Big and bold, with some alcoholic kick. Grapefruit and pine are the best way to describe this. Mild malt body hop forward. Not bad but the nose doesn't help the otherwise good taste.

Mouthfeel - Clean and spritzy, good carbonation, very dry finish and modest body.

Overall - Easy enough to drink, but the nose while initially good, was way too dank for my liking and as a result the remaining scores suffered. Still not sure if it's just this bottle or my glass, the first bottle I enjoyed (but didn't review, didn't have nearly this much dank aroma. Will investigate and hopefully update my ratings if this particular bottle might've been a misfire.

3.47/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a golden amber color. Carbonation just visible through the slight haziness. Off-white head leaves just a thin veil. No lacing.

Smell: Moderate amount of citrus hop dominated by fresh squeezed grapefruit juice with a touch of sugar. Faint notes of pine. A slight malt back including notes of apricot. The alcohol is somewhat noticeable, but far from overpowering.

Taste: The hop flavor manifests itself predominately through a sweetened grapefruit juice flavor. The finish is smooth and slightly tart, with just a touch of lingering grapefruit pith, and a minor amount of warmth from the alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Moderate to high amount of carbonation with a round mouthfeel.

This is a good DIPA. It is more balanced than HopDevil, which may be good or bad depending on your preference.

3.5/5  rDev -18%

12 ounce bottle - Barrel & Barley Craft Beer Market in Woodstock, Georgia.

Appearance: Pale copper-hued body, a bit hazy, with almost an inch of whitish foam.

Smell: Chiefly hoppy in the nose, sporting notes of melon, citrus, fresh herb, riding atop the softly bready, lightly doughy, lightly honeyish malts.

Taste: Honey-toned malts blended with the melony, citrusy, floral hop flavors. Bready base malts, a little doughy. There's an encroaching dank resinous quality. Medium-high bitterness. Some semblance of a renewed honey taste underneath the hops. An alcoholic warmth and a little boozy bent precedes the resiny, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation which has some life to it.

Overall: It's fine, acceptable, but it's just good to see ole Victory making the effort.

3.52/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a footed tulip.

A: Deep golden hue. Pours a slight, bubbly, white head. Dissipates quickly, but not completely leaving a smattering of bubbles on the surface. Sporadic yet persistent lacing.

S: White bread, a little yeast, pine cones, and pine resin. A bit of a soapy character, too.

T: Bitter pine hop. Sourdough bread. And just a hint of resiny sweetness.

M: Light bodied and crisp body. A bit of syrupy character through the experience. Biting, mouth puckering, dry finish; which continues to tingle the palate throughout.

D: Character will dictate a sipping experience.

Atmosphere is pretty solid. Rich golden hue, only a slight head, and very light persistent lacing. Nose is bready with piny and lightly sweet components. Bitter and crisp, a bit of yeast, and some resiny sweetness for balance. Overall, this is a good quaff.

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown