DirtWolf | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

HOPS: Citra, Chinook, Mosaic, Simcoe
MALTS: Pilsner, Ligh Caramel Malt, Dextrose
Flavor: Citrus, pine, resin, tropical fruit, loaded hop nose from heavy Mosaic and Simcoe dry-hopping. Full bodied with hop bitterness and resinous hop flavor. Leaves a lasting impression. Citra: heavy citrus aroma, fruity flavor; Chinook: grapefruit, resinous pine; Simcoe: dry, piney; and Mosaic: earthy and mildly floral, with notes of sweet citrus and spice.

Added by aengleman on 09-27-2013

Ratings: 6,607 |  Reviews: 856

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

wow, I have been a fan of the Victory beers from way back in the day when I lived in DC. Moved to AZ ten years ago and could not get it until recently. when it came available a few months ago, I immediately picked up some of the Prima Pils and it lives up to my memory and remains a great pilsner. being a huge IPA and double and imperial IPA guy, I was really excited when I noticed DirtWolf at Total Wine. I got a growler and brought it home to pair with some rare seared sushi grade salmon and kale salad. dinner was great, but in short the DirtWolf was a drain pour, a waste of $6.99 IMO. it wasn't like the keg was bad, maybe it was, but rather this beer seemed to have the hop profile, but it seems like a one dimensional beer, no backbone to speak of, flat tasting yet with seeming plenty of carbonation. vinegar like. just kind of a cheap IPA. I would probably buy a 12oz bottle one time to try it again to see if I had a bad batch or if I just wasn't in the mood, but from the growler experience this stuff is not good. I dumped it.

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

10/17/2013
Aroma. Is very floral. Slight lemon lime. .. taste is same,but a little pissy...like ghost yellow color.. small white head. Good kick. Alcohol is present late. A touch Warming. Not a fan of the hop mix used in this; must be the simcoe that ruins it.

2.66/5  rDev -37.7%

2.67/5  rDev -37.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well let just say up front that this is just my opinion so if you like dw then disregard this. It's okay it's drinkable and it's an ipa so what do I really think well I don't know but to me it was just not there, yeah I could like this on a day when I don't have anything else in the fridge to drink but would I go to the store and buy it? No way. First of all the smell, it smells like piss at times the look well it's nothing unusual so lets leave it at that, the taste? lest just say that tomatoes with a hint of plastic came to mind and feel? I didn't feel anything, not even a tickle. So there you have it folks it's just okay in my eyes but who knows you might have better vision than me.

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%

2.76/5  rDev -35.4%

2.82/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

L: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a golden yellow color and a slightly hazy texture. There was a small, foamy head that quickly dissipated. Spotty lacing.

S: An oddly muted aroma of hops, malt, and a fruity ingredient.

T: The taste here is not so pleasant: A whole pile of grassy hops, along with a little malt and some citrus (lemon, especially), combined with an almost chemical element, make this a difficult flavor to like. The citrus is nice, but everything else destroys any semblance of balance.

F: A fair amount of carbonation with a very thin, almost watery finish. Light-bodied.

O: All things being subjective, the bevy of high scores for this beer are kind of baffling. This is one of Victory's rare misfires.

2.84/5  rDev -33.5%

Way too much grapefruit notes. Overpowered everything else.

2.85/5  rDev -33.3%

2.9/5  rDev -32.1%

2.91/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle $2.79. Thank God I bought a single. Bright yellow orange, good head and lace. Aroma is really thick and earthy hops but then a strong plastic aroma. Flavor is astringent alcohol and plastic notes. Not really a pleasant beer at all, would not purchase.

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown