DirtWolf | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

HOPS: Citra, Chinook, Mosaic, Simcoe
MALTS: Pilsner, Ligh Caramel Malt, Dextrose
Flavor: Citrus, pine, resin, tropical fruit, loaded hop nose from heavy Mosaic and Simcoe dry-hopping. Full bodied with hop bitterness and resinous hop flavor. Leaves a lasting impression. Citra: heavy citrus aroma, fruity flavor; Chinook: grapefruit, resinous pine; Simcoe: dry, piney; and Mosaic: earthy and mildly floral, with notes of sweet citrus and spice.

Added by aengleman on 09-27-2013

Ratings: 6,600 |  Reviews: 855
3.79/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12 oz. bottled poured into tulip

L: peach orange ... a gold with just a bit of red/amber thrown in; decent 1-inch head of white foam on a pretty hard pour that sticks at the top; it's keeping a perfect ultra-white collar of foam; not 100% clear but it's not opaque ... a bit of mistiness, so call it 60-70% clear

S: bitter grapefruit; some grassiness in there, but mostly it's citrusy/grapefruit

T: salty grapefruit juice; it has a bit of sweetness to it, but this particular grapefruit bomb either has some earthy hops or spicy hops competing with the citrus/grapefruit taste; it's plenty bitter, but it pulls back just a bit from being undrinkably so with some tropical fruit flavors hiding underneath the bitter grapefruit

F: pretty thick for a pale ale but still very drinkable. not syrupy, but it's a mouthful

O: it's got a nice twist of flavors besides grapefruit, and they work well together -- too many American DIPAs come off as a mess of caramel/mango that I can't stand, but this brew has a few hints of tropical fruit flavor while still maintaining that tasty grapefruit note. I'd have to drink this side-by-side with some of my favorite IPA/DIPA grapefruit bombs to get a better handle on where it fits in my personal ranking, but the bottom line is it's very good and hides a healthy load of alcohol completely.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%

Appearance: Really nice golden-yellow color that I like to see in a DIPA

Smell: Big blast of hop aroma, reminds me quite a bit of Hopslam in that regard

Taste: Again, tons of strong hop flavor. Lots of grapefruit and a big bitter finish that lingers for days

Mouthfeel: I would probably prefer just a little bit more carbonation but I think what they have suits the style well

Overall: This is a really good beer and reminds me of two beers I really like, Lagunitas Sucks and Hopslam. However, I'm not sure that it combines the best elements of those two. The bitterness is a bit much and I would like to see more of a malt presence. This does correct itself a little bit as the beer warms, but I think it could still be improved. An excellent to-style brew but the bitterness prevents this from being one that I would go back to often

4.36/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This hits the mark. Spectacular. Bought a 4-pk in The Andersons General Store in C-Bus OH and poured into my trusty tulip. Very fresh (but to Greg's chagrin... no bottle dates). Good thing that I trust The Andersons. Light golden hue (exactly what I aim for in my homebrewed IPAs; and never achieve) with 1/2 finger of marshmallow white head which left some lacing. Not a huge nose (especially compared to the fresh Citra-Hero from earlier), but a good nose. Very fresh... notes of citrus and pine. This was also v. cold from the fridge, and the aromas amplified a bit as I nursed this beauty. Lemon zest and a shockingly clean bitterness opened the salvo... with a huge PUNCH of pine on the end. Something about the clean taste of this beer... follow me here, makes it taste like you are drinking it off of an ice block (circa 1997 frat parties in run down colonials in Bloomsburg PA; in a GOOD way). Just amazingly refreshing. Great IPA mouthfeel. Good carbonation, crisp, a bit dry, and not oily. Again, clean comes to mind. I never knew that something that was so clean could come from the Philadelphia area (just kidding, let's go Mets). I don't really have to tell you to buy this, do I?

4.44/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I don't review as much as I used to but beers like this deserve my time and praise.

Bottle says enjoy by 9/22 which means it was brewed 4/22. So pretty damn fresh.

Best New DIPA I tried in awhile. Probably since Enjoy By. I think this and enjoy by are quite similar in that they both got that butter Simcoe hops finish. I think Dirtwolf is slight bitterer and less sweet.

The best words to describe this brew are Dank, Grapefruit, and wet grass. Awesome west coast style DIPA. Highly recommended!

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%

4.29/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

12 0z. bottle poured into a pint glass.

A--Pours a hazy, light orange. Nice thick head that eventually turns to a lasting film. Leaves decent/ok lacing.

S--Citrusy smell leads off. Grapefruit & pineapple are apparent. It's obvious that a large dose of hops are coming.

T--A hopbomb. Taste follows the nose, with grapefruit & floral notes predominating.

M--Astringent at first from the hops, but finishes wet & almost creamy.

O--Another winner from Victory. An excellent example of what a DIPA can be if done right.

3.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours a lightly hazy pale yellow color, looks bottle conditioned s some small floaties present. Head is off white and two fingers falls fairly small with descent lacing.

Aroma is bready malts topped with a good does of tropical fruit hops. Some light tart grassy notes mingled in also.

Taste is pow hops lots of bitterness, bitter citrus and pine resin mingled. Some hints of herbal earthy notes linger into the finish. Bready malt in the taste also lightly dry. Finish has lots of grapefruit rind in it, defiantly a hop bomb.

Mouthfeel is medium with carbonation that is lightly peppy.

Overall would say its a pretty good IPA but I don't normally repurchase any thing but great IPA's as there are so many out today. Use to buy Hop Wallop every trip to NC I made but don't see me buying this one again as its not outstanding. PS I still consider 4 good don't go by the new wording by the numbers.

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a solid gold with 1 inch fluffy white head and excellent lacing. Smell is diluted hops and some slight pineapple. Taste again is slight pineapple with a decent hop bite and no bitter aftertaste.

DirtWolf from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown