DirtWolf | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

victorybeer.com

Style: American Imperial IPA

HOPS: Citra, Chinook, Mosaic, Simcoe
MALTS: Pilsner, Ligh Caramel Malt, Dextrose
Flavor: Citrus, pine, resin, tropical fruit, loaded hop nose from heavy Mosaic and Simcoe dry-hopping. Full bodied with hop bitterness and resinous hop flavor. Leaves a lasting impression. Citra: heavy citrus aroma, fruity flavor; Chinook: grapefruit, resinous pine; Simcoe: dry, piney; and Mosaic: earthy and mildly floral, with notes of sweet citrus and spice.

User Reviews & Ratings
firstprev| 826-850 | 851-875 | 876-900  | next → last
Reviews: 888 | Ratings: 6,769
3.2/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Bruery tulip glass.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden body with a 2 finger white head that reduces quickly but leaves nice lacing.

S- Hmm.. not the most inviting aromas in the world.. grass, onions, some pine, floral, biscuits.

T- Matches the nose.. pretty oniony, floral, spicy on the aftertaste.. some resinous bite on the finish.

M- I'll give it this.. you can't really tell it's 8+% alcohol, pretty smooth for that ABV. Somewhat overcarbonated though.

I didn't enjoy one aspect of this beer. Even if it was a little past it's prime for an IPA, it was downright terrible. I never get that "onion" note that people talk about, but I got it full force on both the nose and the tongue in this beer. No thanks.

3.2/5  rDev -25.1%

The smell, taste, and appearance are very good for this beer. This is one of the better Victory beers. What I do not like is that the taste is present for a second or two, then it is all alcohol burn. I believe if they can mask the alcohol better, it could truly become a quality brew.

3.1/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I did a blind review of Lagunita's Sucks, Long Trail Limbo, Victory Dirt Wolf, and Green Flash Green Bullet. These notes and ratings were recorded before I knew which beer I was drinking.

A - Pours a very hazy, creamy orangish color, with three quarters of a finger of creamy head. Moderate carbonation slowly climbing to the surface.

S - Bitter and unpleasant.

T - Very light, watery hop flavor. Hint of onion?

M - Light body. Decent carbonation.

O - This bottle was just barely a month old, so I'm not sure if that had an impact, but this was a very mediocre DIPA. The aroma was definitely off. I'll try to re-review this at a later date with a super fresh bottle.

3.09/5  rDev -27.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Really eager to try this anticipated Double IPA from Victory, love their stuff!

A - Nice, hazy golden yellow . Mellow, yet inviting

S - Ok, now I get it. I have seen and heard the term "cat pee" and always shook my head. I won't anymore. Wow, about as uninviting as it gets, and I get that this particular hop has that effect.

T - MUCH better than the smell. starts out grapefruit, more pith than peel, bitter, piney grass, and subtle tangerine in there somewhere. Sticky - bigtime. But that good bitter you want from a double.

M - smoother than what it sounds, definite layers and various taste profiles here. I kinda dig that. Not a boring offering, that is for sure!

O - I expected more. Unfortunately when there is a lot of hype for a product, there is an expectation that you cannot help but to have. There will be those who swear by this, and those that will not get it, not even for a minute. I fall somewhere in between, as I think it is worth a try, but does not rock my particular vote. Am going to grab some Harvest ales next....

2.95/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.75

12oz bottle $2.79. Thank God I bought a single. Bright yellow orange, good head and lace. Aroma is really thick and earthy hops but then a strong plastic aroma. Flavor is astringent alcohol and plastic notes. Not really a pleasant beer at all, would not purchase.

2.82/5  rDev -34%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

L: Poured from a bottle to a tulip glass. Had a golden yellow color and a slightly hazy texture. There was a small, foamy head that quickly dissipated. Spotty lacing.

S: An oddly muted aroma of hops, malt, and a fruity ingredient.

T: The taste here is not so pleasant: A whole pile of grassy hops, along with a little malt and some citrus (lemon, especially), combined with an almost chemical element, make this a difficult flavor to like. The citrus is nice, but everything else destroys any semblance of balance.

F: A fair amount of carbonation with a very thin, almost watery finish. Light-bodied.

O: All things being subjective, the bevy of high scores for this beer are kind of baffling. This is one of Victory's rare misfires.

2.75/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Well let just say up front that this is just my opinion so if you like dw then disregard this. It's okay it's drinkable and it's an ipa so what do I really think well I don't know but to me it was just not there, yeah I could like this on a day when I don't have anything else in the fridge to drink but would I go to the store and buy it? No way. First of all the smell, it smells like piss at times the look well it's nothing unusual so lets leave it at that, the taste? lest just say that tomatoes with a hint of plastic came to mind and feel? I didn't feel anything, not even a tickle. So there you have it folks it's just okay in my eyes but who knows you might have better vision than me.

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

10/17/2013
Aroma. Is very floral. Slight lemon lime. .. taste is same,but a little pissy...like ghost yellow color.. small white head. Good kick. Alcohol is present late. A touch Warming. Not a fan of the hop mix used in this; must be the simcoe that ruins it.

2.6/5  rDev -39.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.5

wow, I have been a fan of the Victory beers from way back in the day when I lived in DC. Moved to AZ ten years ago and could not get it until recently. when it came available a few months ago, I immediately picked up some of the Prima Pils and it lives up to my memory and remains a great pilsner. being a huge IPA and double and imperial IPA guy, I was really excited when I noticed DirtWolf at Total Wine. I got a growler and brought it home to pair with some rare seared sushi grade salmon and kale salad. dinner was great, but in short the DirtWolf was a drain pour, a waste of $6.99 IMO. it wasn't like the keg was bad, maybe it was, but rather this beer seemed to have the hop profile, but it seems like a one dimensional beer, no backbone to speak of, flat tasting yet with seeming plenty of carbonation. vinegar like. just kind of a cheap IPA. I would probably buy a 12oz bottle one time to try it again to see if I had a bad batch or if I just wasn't in the mood, but from the growler experience this stuff is not good. I dumped it.

2.49/5  rDev -41.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

After reading reviews of this beer, I feel like I'm drinking a different beer. The aroma reminds me of underarm sweat, really off putting. The same quality comes across in the taste. Victory usually makes a pretty decent beer but I think they missed the mark on this one. I wouldn't buy this again. I bought a 4 pack and it's going to be a chore to polish it off. Really disappointing beer.

2.37/5  rDev -44.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.25

Was really excited to try this one after being disappointed by the Hop Ranch. Unfortunately I didn't find this one much better. Tasted and smelled a little too much like an sweaty gym sock. I don't get the hype, but different people have different tastes, especially for IPA's. I must just be more of a West Coast IPA guy.

2.27/5  rDev -46.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Look: Yellowish golden, a lot of effervescence going on, small head
Smell: Citrus, not much to speak of
Taste: Crisp, almost woodsy
Feel: Biting
Overall: Starts out pleasant then abruptly turns bitingly bitter. Not a fan

2.16/5  rDev -49.4%

Not sure why all the high scores. very pale. taste is chemically and rancis. I've had other Victory beers which I love. Not sure what happened here....
aroma is not off-putting
but flavor certainly is....

firstprev| 826-850 | 851-875 | 876-900  | next → last