Workman's Compensation | Lion Bridge Brewing Company

Style: English Dark Mild Ale

Added by wspanic201 on 07-02-2014

Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 37
4.34/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Guru Barbaque. Great rendition of the style. Perfect malt amount and great caramel flavor. Even though it's it compliments a shrimp po'boy quite well.

3.99/5  rDev -9.1%

This is my first beer in the style, and I'm curious now to try more. Dark rich malts, a surprising amount of malty flavor a for such a low abv beer. It's very good, very simple, but good.

4.78/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

The key to a Mild is having enough caramely malt to give your beer a slightly sweetness, but not too much where it is cloying of heavy. You need enough hops to bring it into balance, but not so much that it is bitter. The mouthfeel should be light and prickly, but champagne like. It is all about subtle charm and beauty and this one has it in spades. World class.

4.77/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Mild is a style I seldom come across. If I was to grade this to style, I would be comparing it to a small handful of milds that I have had the pleasure of enjoying. I enjoy the Workman's Compensation more than the others. Visually, it has a delicate haze - it's clean but not bright. There is a faint aroma of baker's chocolate that blends seamlessly into a smooth malt character. The taste is more of the same---no surprises---with a slight sweetness. Mouthfeel is about what you would desire from beers of its ilk - slightly chewy, but not of cloying residual sugars. I had this beer before it got recognition at GABF. Revisiting it later, I found it to stand up well to the additional scrutiny I applied.

4.75/5  rDev +8.2%

This is one of the better beers I've had. Admittedly, I am not an English Mild expert, but this hits everything right.

Good color, good smell, great maltiness. Not bitter, but it shouldn't be.

Wish I could get this locally

Workman's Compensation from Lion Bridge Brewing Company