Archie's Red Ale | Mismatch Brewing Company

Added by Kroehny_Loves_Hops on 05-18-2014

Reviews by Kroehny_Loves_Hops:
3.75/5  rDev +10%

3.51/5  rDev +2.9%

The Archies Red is good....trying it at Kings Head in Adelaide. It poured a hazy amber with thin white head that is leaving a lace. The scent is baseline like for ambers. The taste is slightly bitter and clean. The Mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall it's ok easily sessionable.

3.4/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.22/5  rDev -5.6%

Next up on board the Mismatch train is Archie’s Red Ale. After their Session Ale, which was ironically a mismatch for me as I love my beers BIG* (as you should well know by now, tisk-tisk) Archie’s Red Ale could be the correctly-matched saviour to my qualms. However - and this is a ‘HOWEVER’ in caps - it lists rye as one of the malts. Now don’t get me wrong: I love rye. In fact one of my pet peeves is for brewers to say a beer has rye in it and for me not to taste earthy/peppery rye. Don’t let me down with a wry mismatch Mismatch.

Poured from a 330ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: More of a brown than a red, there is a style called ‘Brown Ale’ Mismatch (just saying), cloudy russet hue body with a decent 1 centimetre off-white head that sticks around pretty well. Colour not being red the only major drawback in this “Red Ale”. 6/10.

S: Caramel sweetness mingles with earthy tones, a light honey note and some malt as well... definitely slanted in the Amber Ale/Red Ale territory, which is good. Not really getting any hops on the nose either. Still it’s a pretty alluring aroma. 7/10.

T: Starts out earthy and dusty (rye’s hand in this brew) then mid palate hints of caramel/honeyed sweetness (though it could definitely hit with more of this), it’s towards the finish where flavour simply vanishes with dryness that feels a bit amiss. TBH it started out OK, then became progressively better before dropping off the palate completely. As per the Session Ale: More flavour would be great. Mid palate really hints at something grand - I want more of that caramel/honey goodness! Hops? Not noticeable - but that’s fine as this works better as a sweet beer anyhow. 6/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a thin but dense carbonation which works well. 8/10.

D: So far there’s a running theme with these Mismatch brews: Needs more flavour. I’m about to write up the Extra Pale Ale and I’m hoping/wishing/praying/kwanzaing that Mismatch have nailed a hop profile in that beer. Their website says: “this is an ode to the English...” I only got that far before I mouthed a word that starts with ‘f’ and ends with ‘k’. Which is a big shame because both of these brews are promising but far too timid for me. 6/10.

Food match: Stew (beef is a good option), throw in some crusty bread too.

*Bearing Immense Gusto, or Delectation... but BID doesn’t work as well IMO.

Archie's Red Ale from Mismatch Brewing Company