Strawberry Gose

Summer
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Strawberry GoseStrawberry Gose
Notes: The 1st of our Farmland Series, the Strawberry Gose (pronounced goes-uh) is a German-style wheat beer from the Leipzeg region, known for it’s salt mines. Our Strawberry Gose is light and bright with a delicate strawberry nose. Additions of pink Himalayan salt, coriander and over 100 lbs of fresh organic strawberries from Massaro Farm (Woodbrige CT) during secondary fermentation make this one-off beer truly unique.

Pair with fresh cheeses such as sheep’s milk feta, fresh chevre & ricotta with lemon zest.

A portion of proceeds from The Farmland Series will be donated to the Working Lands Alliance to support and protect CT farmland.
Reviews: 5 | Ratings: 53 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
4.27/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

The CANQuest (tm)'s backlog is getting to be like that pesky loose thread on a knit sweater. You know how it goes, pull on it & all of a sudden, everything unravels & you are left with a ball of yarn that used to be a sweater! I had a Black Hog Pilsner a little bit ago, then thought, "Hmm, I think that I've got a few more from Black Hog. Lemme see. What? I could have sworn that I already reviewed THAT one!". OMFG. Now, I've got an impromptu brewery horizontal on my hands!

From the CAN: "Ale brewed with whole strawberries from Massaro Farm, Woodbridge, CT"; "#DRINKTOTHEHOG"; "Made in CT"; "You best 'cycle"; "FarmLand Series".

I did some in-CAN agitation before the Crack! to ensure that all of the adjuncts were back in suspension. Once acCANplished, the Crack! unleashed a spritz to which I responded with a hard, aggro C-Line Glug into the awaiting glass. It retaliated by forming a seemingly impenetrable two-plus finger cap of dense, foamy, rocky, tawny head with remarkable retention for the style. Color was a deeply-hazy/lightly-cloudy Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7). Nose was like my wet dream as a retired US Navy sailor! I have long been saying that, as an adult, my favorite fruit is strawberry. I also like the Gose style since its inclusion of salt reminds me of being underway (something that I did a whole bunch of). This smelled CANtastic as a result! Yum. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium, not watery, but not far from it, which is par for the style. The taste was less tart that many in my past, but the saltiness and the strawberry flavors were both evident and unrelenting. My late-Pops used to put salt on his watermelon & while I would still be hesitant to put salt on strawberries, this CANbination worked really well in CANdem. I really liked that they kept the tartness in check since the strawberry flavor might not have been as evident or pleasant otherwise. Finish was slightly tart and definitely dry as a result. Mmm. YMMV.

3.59/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz pour on tap into a black hog brewing pint glass

A: medium hazy yellowish body not much of a head.

S: slight strawberry, a little wheat, has some acidic tones and a light bit of salt.

T: slight strawberry muddled semi sweet body with no sourness and an odd level of muddled saltiness.

M: medium bodied a tad heavy for the low ABV.

O: Thos is a muddled beer that I wouldn't guess was a Gose if my life depended on it.

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

On tap at the Spotty Dog in Hudson. Served in a tumbler.
3.5/3/3.25/3.25/3.25
A: Hazy, flat auburn.
S: It smells neutral, and faintly of sweet grain.
T: More strawberry than gose at first, though there's a hint of corianderish spice at the end. The fruit is the best part of the beer.
M: Soft and lightly acidic.
O: It's OK, but unremarkable. Won't be revisiting.

3.72/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

The salt addition in this beer is nice for the style, perhaps it could have been just a touch more assertive. Strawberry aroma along with a crackery malt presence are the impressions I was left with. Refreshing and super easy to drink at 3.5% so taking down a few pints on a hot day could be just what the the doctor ordered. Tart finish, like the salt addition and the fruit aromas, is rather subdued. I guess this is sort of like a beginner's gose? Worth trying but not necessarily something you need to make a special trip for.

3.77/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Had on Friday, August 14 at Prime 16 in New Haven, served in a nonic pint. Poured a cloudy color with a nice golden complexion. Smell is pretty faint, but definitely some sweetness and fruit notes. Really nice flavor, sweet, tart, nice fruit note in the middle of strawberry. Not fake flavored either, and very subtle. Easy to pound a few of these but I went on to other options. Not the best Gose (lacking salt), but a tasty beer.

Strawberry Gose from Black Hog Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 81 out of 100 with 53 ratings