Albus
OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)

AlbusAlbus
Score:
Ranked #3,057
4.23 | pDev: 8.27%
From:
OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)

Connecticut, United States
Avail:
Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Outstanding
AlbusAlbus
Notes: "Sour White Ale" - Historic interpretation of a white ale brewed with ginger root, chamomile and lemon balm. Mixed fermentation with saccharomyces and lactobaccilus.
Reviews: 11 | Ratings: 87 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
angrybabboon from Massachusetts

3.59/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this, consumed 8/19/17, review from notes

A: Medium gold with a tinge of orange - mostly clear, some haze - pours with a small off-white head, fades to wisps

S: This is a Belgian White? No, a sour Belgian White - so much funk - yeasty and barnyard funk - some tartness - lemons and some acidity - lactic notes and some vinegar - spicy and flowery - wood - vegetables-like aroma - malts drowned in funk

T: Funk party - lots of lemon, lemon rind, lemon juice, straight acid - funky tartness - straight up yeasty, barnyard, damp funk - vinegar funk -- puckering sour - flowers and ginger with even more flowery, spicy funk - lingering vinegar, cheese

M: On the light side of medium, medium carbonation, lingering weirdness - actually gave me hiccups

O: Dumpydore!

I suppose the purpose of this beer was to test the limits of a Witbier. It wasn't really for me.

Aug 24, 2017
LAp from Ohio

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a teku glass. Pours a pale orange with minimal, frothy, almost-clear head (a unique, very odd, and not-necessarily-appealing) head. The nose is earthy, lactic acid sour. Lemon and grapefruit hide in the background. The palate tends towards earthy funk alongside a pumpkin/squash-like (likely the ginger root noted in the ingredients list) flavor. Lemongrass and the faintest chamomile. Trace notes of cracked pepper. Mouthfeel is flat (too flat), and medium light.

A strong flavor profile, but one that is not backed up by the mouthfeel. The host who cracked this bottle said that having had another bottle from the same lot, this one had lost the carbonation it should have had. With the proper amount of carbonation, this beer would be an unbelievably amazing interpretation of the Belgian White.

Nov 01, 2016
nebula1999 from Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful beer in the glass. Bright yellow/straw, slightly hazy, big bubbly head that fades to nearly nothing.
Aroma is lemon citrussy tartness. I can feel my sour taste buds tingle just from the smell.
Taste is bright, sharp lemon sourness that coats the tongue. Shocking tartness on the way down with a lingering tart aftertaste.
Refreshing. However, I do not detect any wheat beer character here. It's a good beer for what it is, but I wouldn't call it a "sour white ale". Just a sour lemon ale. And I cannot pick out any ginger root or chamomile.
Still, though..I liked it enough to buy again, and loved the low ABV for summer refreshment.

Jul 05, 2016
Jm0ney from New York

4.23/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

on tap at the brewery. very nice offering. cloudy yellow with citrus aroma. not sure I pick up the chamomile or ginger though. taste is pleasantly tart, with dominant lemon notes and decent mouthfeel. I am not sure why others felt this was straight lemon juice unless there was something unusual about that particular batch, as I have had Albus several times at OEC. This offering is definitely tart, more so than the current mass-produced German products which are quite tame by comparison...but absolutely not mouth-puckeringly sour and nowhere near gueuze levels. A very refreshing beverage overall.

Apr 06, 2016
kisthekids from California

1.8/5  rDev -57.4%
look: 2 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Had on tap at the Diamond, Brooklyn in a fancy-looking curved pint glass.

Let me start by saying I am a sour beer lover and I didn't drink this beer by chance, I sought it out after seeing the reviews. A sour witbier sounds amazing

A - Cloudy lemon yellow.
S - Wow, wheaty lemon citrus. No head. Smells good
T - Sour, Sour, Lemon. Tart, lemonade. Completely out of balance - the sour lemon is overpowering everything this beer should have to offer. I taste no wheaty-spiced-Belgian-ness. I'd say the taste is: 90% straight lemon juice, 9% smooth cream, and maybe 1% Belgian witbier. Not very beery. Seriously atrocious.
M - Medium. Sour lemonade sticks a wad of spit to the back of my tongue.
O - This is just a sour lemon drink. It should not be categorized as a witbier; I taste little to none of the white ale characteristics. It should be categorized as a wild ale because the sourness is the overwhelmingly dominant character. Even for a wild ale, it is out of balance and simply not pleasant to drink. I highly recommend trying St Bernardus Wit instead. Or, if you want a balanced wheat beer with a pleasant touch of tartness, have Professor Fritz Briem 1809 Berliner Weisse (one of my favourite beers). I truly felt like I wasted my time and money to drink this beer.

Mar 05, 2016
hopley from Massachusetts

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch 2 - really nice, not too sour or tart, but not too little either - just right! No head - but a glittery gold color that is beautiful just to look at, and then sip or even gulp the quenching goodness contained in the tulip! Cheers!

Feb 13, 2016
ONovoMexicano from New Mexico

4.29/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Showcases some lemony elements and has a delightful tea flavor that is distinctively chamomile and works well with the lemon. The feel is light and drinkable with a tart bite that is balanced by a somewhat full, creamy feel.

An excellent brew.

Oct 22, 2015
orcrist_cleaver from New York

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

A: Light straw to gold. Head retention is low.

S: Tart citrus, ginger. Quite herbal and pepperberry.

M: Extra smooth and creamy from lactose but with high effervescence and slightly dry and bitter finish.

T: Starts fruity with citrus, kiwi and strawberry. Spice character builds with heat from ginger and earthy coriander. Nice sour lemon finish with low herbal quality.

Aug 30, 2015
Jwale73 from Rhode Island

4.07/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Batch 2 bottled on 07/06/2015. Served at 44 degrees in my ST tulip. Pours a dull orange-gold with a loose quarter inch head that quickly disperses. Clarity is slightly hazy and tiny bubbles are present effervescing in-solution. Nose expresses chamomile, lemon zest and a spicy quality. Taste consistent with nose - flavors are bright and there's just a hint of lacto to meld and smooth it out. Mouthfeel is light in body with a pleasant carbonation just shy of lively. Acidity is light and refreshing. Overall, refreshing, complex and delightful. A wonderful summer beer.

Aug 21, 2015
MakeMineADoubleJack from North Carolina

4.25/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I don't think this witbier can possibly be matched on a level of complexity: tart, citrusy, hints of cinnamon and clove, lemon, orange. It tasted so fresh and juicy. I'm not sure what I was expecting from my first OEC brew, but this one exceeded my expectations. Had 6oz on tap.

Aug 15, 2015
imonhiatus from New Jersey

4.5/5  rDev +6.4%

wow...first review AGAIN...thanks Steve for sharing so many fresh and unreviewed beers. once again , a lot of pressure here, no one's thoughts to copy...trade value is literally hinging on my novice palate...oh what do I taste? I'd it leather or cobwebs or some other metaphor that no human would actually know how it tastes?

I tell you what, this is actually a super solid beer. delicious. lemon smarties. go out and get it. most impressive beer I have had from oec.

Aug 11, 2015
Albus from OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)
Beer rating: 91 out of 100 with 87 ratings