Grandis
OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)

GrandisGrandis
Score:
Ranked #17,392
3.9 | pDev: 14.36%
From:
OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)

Connecticut, United States
Avail:
Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Very Good
GrandisGrandis
Notes: Grandis is our blended old ale. It is blended from various ales matured in oak barrels from several months to three years. This blend has a touch of acidity and is very port like with a hint of fine balsamic.

Blend #1 - 08/08/2014
Reviews: 4 | Ratings: 72 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
3.31/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

L - black as the darkest night, little carb with bubbles that fade quickly - unique for a sour tho, I'll give it that
S - some nice barrel-fig-old ale aromas/ port sweet wine and a touch of what I hate to call soy sauce at the end. I love old ales so this is enticing for me never have I had a sour old ale
T - Dang, it's immediately big balsamic and the big time sour abuses the old ale dark fruits, I can still taste some nice barrel/ raisins but its just a bit much on the sour side to get past.
F - acidic, salty vinegar finish
O- Again, unique for sure and I can appreciate the experimental side of this beer, but the styles just clash for a tough pour

Batch 1.

This beer was pretty awful. The nose is straight up soy sauce, the taste is bitter and sour with low carbonation.

Most of this beer met the kitchen sink. It was not enjoyable.

This was from a 3 oz. taster at the OEC Brewery. I had no idea what to expect with these guys. Needless to say I left there impressed and laden with bottles. With the given rating on this beer (3.76 rAvg with just 33 ratings), I expected it to be meh. After the taster I just had to go buy a bottle to take home. Actual conversation I had with the man behind the counter:

Me: This is supposed to be an old ale?
Him: It's our take on the style.
Me: What did you guys do to it?
Him: A lot of weird stuff.

Dark dark dark for an old ale. Almost as dark as the taster of Zymatore Verdi (imperial stout) sitting next to it.

Aroma was intriguing with dark fruit and a mild tartness.

Taste was just an explosion on my tongue. I was amazed at how much flavor they packed into it. A tart old ale is right up my alley. More dark fruit, and maybe some caramel/toffee. That tart zing was just perfect. FYI, this was served at room temperature, or perhaps slightly colder.

Mouth was fully coating, and it just stuck around forever.

Overall I was extremely surprised and impressed. Very well done, OEC.

3.81/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle. Poured flat and syrupy. Dark brown. Looks like a sherry. Aroma is very over stimulating. Sourness and balsamic dressing. Leathery. Tart yet sugary. Some acetone. Nose is dynamic. Need to cup a handful of arugula and toss it into this beer because it's salad dressing. Balsamic, acid, dark fruit. Oakiness is like a steady current. A big, crazy, sour Old Ale. The body is viscous and prefers to linger. It's highly tannic. Warms the cheeks. A very unique beer. I enjoyed it!

Grandis from OEC Brewing (Ordinem Ecentrici Coctores)
Beer rating: 87 out of 100 with 72 ratings