Cadillac Mountain Stout | Bar Harbor Brewing Company

Bar Harbor Brewing Company
Maine, United States
barharborbrewing.com

Style: Irish Dry Stout

A full-bodied stout with focused chocolate flavors and plenty of hops and malt, Cadillac Mtn. Stout was selected World Champion Dry Stout 1995 and the best hard-to-find beer in America by Men’s Journal.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 04-10-2002

Ratings: 1,235 |  Reviews: 690
4.07/5  rDev -2.6%

Pours dark brown to black with a sparse whitish head. Smells of raisins and dry roasted barley. Tastes vinous with light amounts of roast and raisin. I don't know what it is but why is it so many highly rated beers are rated highly purely because of their similarity to wine? This is a good tasting brew, solid for a regional brewery. Feel is on the lighter side than I want, carbonation is medium-full. There are some good, clean flavors here and fairly light body makes it easy to consume. This is probably the best element of the beer, it is a stout with good flavor but also something that can just be drank. I'll drink to that.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Great xtra from macmaster761, Thanks!!!

poured into standard shaker glass.

A: comes out of the bottle just about black. Some ruby highlights when held to the light. Two fingers of head from a heavy pour.

S: Somewhat difficult to locate. Black patent malt. Hints of coffee and bitter chocolate.

T: Milk chocolate. Fresh roasted nuttiness. Some coffee. Nicely hopped to balance everything out. Very nice.

M: Perfect carbonation level. Proper level of viscosity for the style.

D: High. I could definitely see myself having several of these in a sitting.

My first offering from Bar Harbor and its a good one. In this era of Imperial everything, I'm happy to find a nice well crafted stout that is nice and easy to drink and holds my interest at the same time. Very happy to try this.

4.39/5  rDev +5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A: Pours an interesting, fairly light brown that settles jet-black with copper edges. Head is tiny to say the least and leaves absolutely no lacing.

S: Strong smell of espresso and dark chocolate. Tons of roasted malt sweetness. Super inviting.

T: Campfire, roasted malts and coffee are all upfront. The finish is so hard to describe - the only thing that comes to mind is BBQ. Seriously.

M: Fairly carbonated for the style, but it works very well. This is a silky brew that I'm pretty sure will stick around until I brush my teeth.

D: There's a reason why people "from away" seek this out like it's nobody's business. The funny thing is, I can get this for $1.89/12 oz at the corner store and - up until recently - never knew it was so highly regarded. In fact, I steered clear of it for months! Glad I came around.

A session stout if there ever was one.

4.47/5  rDev +6.9%

Obtained this in a trade with drazzamatazz, thanks Sean!

12 oz pour into my NB snifter. Minimal tan colored head with almost black body.

Smell is heavy of roasted barley, dark chocolate & some hops.

Taste is much the same as the smell, with a subtle burnt flavor that is very good.

Medium bodied and creamy initially, but with a lasting dry finish.

Very drinkable, both from a flavor & alcohol standpoint.

Just a great beer and a good example of the style. If this were available in my area, I would definitely look for it just to always have some on hand.

4.03/5  rDev -3.6%

Received as an extras in a recent trade with BobZ.

Split with a buddy and poured into my Dogfish Head snifter. Deep brown with trace light streaks coming in around the surface. A one-finger head of stacked bubbles quickly becomes just a wispy, streaky, soft foam cap. Larger blotches of lace are left behind and slowly creep downward to the liquid - they don't linger very long.

The nose on this guy has a few different components. The first one that really sticks out to me is the graininess. Smells like the raw grain areas of a brewery. There are also some roasted malts mixed in with a small amount of chocolate. Every time I take a drink the graininess smacks me in the nose. At first I really enjoyed this, but by the end of the beer, it became a bit detracting.

Begins heavy on the roasted malts and finishes with baker's chocolate. There is a sweet metallic element that arises just after I swallow but before the subtle bitterness sets in. The mouthfeel is not quite as thick as I expected, keeping in mind that this is a fairly sweet dry stout. This is definitely a smooth drinker.

Overall, I liked this beer. A very good session stout. Easy to drink and finishes well. I'm glad I had an opportunity to try the Cadillac Mountain and would certainly not pass up another chance to drink one!

Consumed: 3/22/2010

3.5/5  rDev -16.3%

A better than average stout...
Poured chocolate black with no head...no lacing. Mild coffee nose, coffee, chocolate taste, very light mouthfeel, almost watery, but pure coffee flavours infused with a touch of chocolate. I'd probably drink this again, however, I can't give this an "A", I've had better stouts.

3.38/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark black colored beer with a rapidly fading head.Aroma is light chocolate.Taste is chocolate,sweet cream and smoked malts.A tad bit weak on the flavor but still a decent beer.I would recommend to try maybe once.I would buy again but not actively seek out.

2.79/5  rDev -33.3%

I drank this from a 22oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer pours dark brown with a total lack of carbonation. No head at at all.

The aroma is medium and super malty with notes of caramel, bread, and candied sugar.

The taste is super boring and flavorless. The feel is light without any flavor or feel at all. The taste is totally dead until the very end where you get a hint of skunked coffee.

no bueno at all.

4.4/5  rDev +5.3%

Wow...I cannot believe I have never reviewed CMS. I have had this beer so many times, beginning with my initial "discovery" of it in Maine circa 1992. To enjoying it many time during subsequent visits to the Bar Harbor area. To seeing the "reformultion" and seeing it hold strong after being made for nearly 20 years! Like an old friend CMS is a beer near and dear to my heart!

A-Deep, ruby tinted blackish brown with a medium tan head that reduced to a thin cap that left decent lace.

S-Oatmeal malted, chocolate covered milk balls with a liht hint of coffee.

T-Malted chocolate with bitter notes of coffee and dark chocolate. A dry earthy finish build upon warming. Nothing over the top or ridiculous but it all works so well together.

M-Medium bodied smooth with a nice lingering ending bitterness.

D-Highly. Full of flavour with enough of everything to make it interesting from the very first sip to the end of the pint. Such a nice, relatively simple, straight forward drinking beer.

4.04/5  rDev -3.3%

Look - Nice dark brown color.

Smell - Hard to smell as it is chilled quite a bit and my nose sucks.

Taste - Bitter dark chocolate with light burnt coffee ground notes.

Mouth feel - Pretty smooth. The carbonation isn't very strong.

Drinkability - A pretty drinkable beer. It's not the best stout around but I would definitely have it again. This is the 3rd or 4th time having this particular brew for me.

4.5/5  rDev +7.7%

Bottle via trade thanks to kmurray8621 on BA.

Pours black or very dark brown with a very large, lasting foamy tan head.

Aroma really jumps out at you with sharp roast and bitter coffee. Some chocolate notes.

Flavor is really awesome and full. Sweet caramel malt, dark fruits, bitter chocolate, coffee, and roast all in there. Pretty complex.

Medium-full body with an extremely smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

Not really as dry as your typical dry stout, and way more flavorful than just about anything in the style. Overall really amazing stuff. Very drinkable and very awesome

4.15/5  rDev -0.7%

A huge thanks to shellebrownies for sending me a few of these in our trade.

A: The pour is a dark brown color with a thin tan head and some noticeable carbonation.

S: The aroma is primarily of roasted malt with some nice notes of coffee, chocolate, and perhaps even some charcoal.

T: The roasted character really comes through in the flavor as well, along with some more coffee and a slight bitterness.

M: The body is medium with a moderate to high level of carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

D: This was a nice beer and one that I've wanted to try for quite some time. I'm lucky to have some more sitting at home.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cadillac Mountain Stout pours an inky black with an small but lingering tan head. The aroma is sweet, chocolatey dark malt with a roasted edge. The sweetness mellows out in the flavor with a nice rounded roasted character and plenty of carmel and dark fruit. Bitterness and more roasted, but not astringent malt comes through and the finish is almost creamy. Overall I think this is an excellent American stout, it's strong but not quite bordering on imperial.

3.62/5  rDev -13.4%

Pour is very dark brown, bordering black, with a light caramel head and some large bubbles. Nose is heavy coffee roast, slightly muddled roasted malt, a bit chalky and ashy, faint chocolate. Taste follows suite, heavy roasted malt and coffee, lighter chalky ash and a but more chocolate. Medium body, assertive carbonation, crisp dry finish with lingering roast.

4.65/5  rDev +11.2%

A 22oz bottle courtesy of Brad from Cincinnati. Thanks, Brad - raised a glass to your kindness in including this in our trade.

Poured into a snifter. Black with brown edges with a nice tan head that eventually dissipates. Looks like a quintessential American stout. So far so good.

Smell is great. Wow - cocoa powder, milk chocolate, roasted malt, hints of coffee and maybe a touch of licorice.

Taste is truly exceptional. OK, Bar Harbor, WTF dudes? I can find your Blueberry beer everywhere, including 7-11's around here, but none of this? PLEASE spread the love guys! This is milk chocolate and light roast perfection. So sweet and smooth, but also not gimmicky. The flavors remind me of more milk stout than anything else. A perfect tasting beer IMO. Mild bitterness from the hops and a touch of sweet caramel from the malt seal the deal. I'm in heaven tasting this.

Mouthfeel is the only "weak" point but it's still great. A touch thin but still very satisfying. But now I'm just nit picking ;)

My notes say greatness and this truly was. An insanely drinkable full flavor beer with all the elements I love in American Stouts. What a beer - kudos to the Bar Harbor folks. Stellar stuff!!

4.17/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottle thanks to Drazzamatazz.

Pours black with two fingers of short lasting light tan bead.

Scent of sweet chocolate, cream, vanilla, dark fruit, roasted malts, and a hint of spicy hops. A great scent, though I would really consider it to be closer to 4.25.

Taste of chocolate, sweet roasted malts, cocoa powder, fresh leafy hops, and a hint of vanilla. Finishes dry with a light roast flavor. A great Stout, but it falls just short of being excellent.

Mouthfeel is smooth and medium bodied, slightly milky with a nice amount of carbonation.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

If Eric Clapton is the God of Guitars, than Cadillac Mountain Stout is the Beer of the Gods. While driving bus for Vermont Transit a few years back, I found this beer in a restaurant called Poor Boys in Bar Harbor Maine. It cost me $8 bucks there. On my next trip to Bar Harbor I bought it down the street, "Down East" as they say in
that part of Maine, on Maine Street. This is going to be a hard one to come by because it pretty much local, but if you are in Maine,
find it, buy it, drink it, enjoy it, and tell them Rick sent you.

4.18/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to the lord grand high chancellor of the massholes, IBUnit63 for the kickass box from whence this came.

Pours an impenetrable black with a nice light tan head that lingers incredibly well and leaves very nice lacing.

Nose is strong enough that i can smell it in the air after the pour. Bringing the nose closer reveals notes of chocolate and roasted barley.

Wow. An excellent stout. Very robust up front with giant roasted barley flavors. Chocolate notes dance across the palate briefly before the roastiness really takes hold. A very nice body and the finish is awesomely dry without being to bitter. Hop profile is minimal, which is good for this beer, and roasted malt and slight chocolate linger on into the aftertaste. This is a very robust porter-like stout.

Mouthfeel is pretty much exactly where you would want it in a beer of this kind. Nice and silky without being too slick or thick, nice and dried out on the finish.

Drinkability is very solid, especially for a fairly high abv. The abv definitely doesn't make its presence known. Could easily rock a couple bombers of this one.

Overall, a very nice and well crafted stout. Love the roastiness in this one. Any fan of roasted barley and dark grains will be all over this one. A porter-like profile. Well attenuated and dried out without being too bitter, and a nice smooth chocolate presence riding underneath. A fine stout.

3.83/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

B-day gift from some friends...

A: Perfectly pitch black with a small mocha colored head that quickly fades.

S: Cannot get any scent. No good in the smell department. Awful!!

T: Very good. Tastes of chocolate and malts with slight hops. Glad to try this one.

M: Perfect carbonation amount. No complaints at all.

D: Goes down super easy. Very easy to drink.

All in all, this is a great brew if you are trying to get into stouts. It's a good gateway brew for stouts. Not bad to try at least once otherwise.

4.53/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Brew #0011.

A chilled bomber served into an imperial pint glass. Cadillac Mtn. has a deep dark brown color with good clarity apparent on the pour. The head is thick and creamy, seemingly lasting forever, it's a beautiful beer.

The aroma is rich is roasted malts and chocolate. It's isn't hoppy but then I wouldn't think so given its age. I believe it's at least one year old. Still very enjoyable.

Flavor is excellent, as expected. It has a touch of sweetness up front from a solid malt body but it's short-lived. The bitterness, mostly from the black patent/chocolate malts comes through strong from middle to end. A perfectly judged balance for the dry stout style. There is a little bit of earthy coffee on the end and it does finish pretty dry.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with creamy smooth carbonaton. Balance is just right, like I said, for the style.

Overall an excellent stout and worthy of it's high post on BA's list of American stouts. It looks fantastic, smells wonderful, tastes delicious, feels great on the tongue, and I could easily drink it all night. Now only if they would distribute out west!

4.45/5  rDev +6.5%

an outstanding toss from portia99.
a lovely dark beer black with the blonde topping. standardly sexy. it looks at me appreciatively as i gaze upon it. roasted barley, chocolate, smoke, the coffee flavor of black patent is all there. it has the body of charles barkley - thick and flavorful, with a dash of wit and cunning. supremely drinkable. bill is essentially making me compile a list of beers i can't get on the west coast that i will continue to want forever. what a great man.

3.67/5  rDev -12.2%

This beer was on my Wants forever, and then all of a sudden I ended up with 2 of the old bombers, so it's time to drink one.
Thanks to Mikereaser and Damian

A - Pours nearly black, with dark brown highlights. A 2 finger khaki head that recedes to a thin layer.

S - Roasted malts, vanilla, bittersweet chocolate. The smell is definitely the highlight for me.

T - roasted malts, coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and smoked malt flavor. Before I let the beer warm it was a lot smokier, and almost had a bacon flavor. Now that it's warmed up everything seems to balance better.

M/D - The carbonation is a little much for me, and it needs some time to sit out before I was enjoying the body. Drinkability really suffers unless it's had some time to loose some carbonation and come to temperature.

I guess I should have read some more reviews before jumping into this one. I'm really glad I got to try it, but I'll probably be sending out my other bottle.

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

A- Bomber poured into an imperial pint glass. Black with some dark dark brown hints around the edges, tan one finger head that fades leaving just enough to cover the top.
S- Lots of roasted malts, some toffee aroma and a bit of coffee. Some light hop aroma in the background.
T- Bitter, dark roasted and chocolate malts are up front with a pine hop presence and little to no unfermented sugars. Hops and some alcohol in the finish, this stout is much more bitter then I would have expected.
M- Medium body and a medium carbonation, exactly what I want an American/dry stout to feel like. Coats a little but finishes dry.
D- Like any good american or dry stout, I should be able to enjoyably drink a bomber by myself, and this is no exception. A very good stout, would love to try this one on nitro.

4.37/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to slasher007 for sharing this bottle.

12 ounce bottle.

Pours dark brown with a khaki head. The aroma is lots of chocolate and coffee. The flavor is coffee with a hint of smoke. You also get some roasted malt. The beer finishes very dry. Thick, creamy mouthfeel and low carbonation.

4.09/5  rDev -2.2%

A: pours with about a finger of head that quickly disappears, leaving a very bubbly, popping head, and a creamy ring around the glass. Almost entirely black, with hints of brown around the edges. Very very faint lacing.

S: Heavy coffee and cream, and a musty sort of perfume scent. Slight dark chocolate, cocoa powder, and raspberries, as well as raisins. Very smooth and malty, yet incredibly bitter and slightly sour with a faint smoky smell--perhaps maple bacon or sausage?-- as well as an earthy smell and a bit of yeast and rye.

T: Coffee--but very slight coffee. The smoke here is definitely maple-bacon, and predominates the taste at first. Far less bitter than I would have guessed from the smell alone. Getting some bitter hops and some smooth malt flavors.

M: very very bubbly and dry, with a little bit of cream in the aftertaste. Very very slight heat and aftertaste.

D: Fairly drinkable, but a few beers into the tasting I was at (and after Firestone 13!!) nothing too spectacular.

Cadillac Mountain Stout from Bar Harbor Brewing Company