Redwood Lodge Kölsch | Redwood Lodge

Style: Kölsch

Added by DrunkMcDermott on 12-04-2003

Reviews by jeremyd365:
4.07/5  rDev +20.1%

From the sampler I got from the Redwood Lodge, this was the one most pleasantly surprising. I wasn't sure what to expect from this style, and what I got was a refreshly light yet flavorful brew. It poured a pretty plain-looking golden. It had a solid wheaty,malty smell yet not sour. The flavor was also a delightful wheaty malt. It had a low-medium body and was definitely drinkable. Of my sampler here, this was one of my favorites fo-sho

2.99/5  rDev -11.8%

Pleasant wheaty-citrus smell under a respectable head. Light wheaty taste, with a very pale color. Some hoppiness starts to show through toward the end. Maybe a little too "soft," and that might have more to do with the brewing water than anything else. I’ll call it middlin’ to good.

4.21/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.25/5  rDev -4.1%

3.1/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: Light yellow color with crystal clarity and very light carbonation.
Aroma: Slight Euro hop notes with trace yeasty sulphidic character.

Taste: It was pleasant with a sharp bitterness that neither lingered nor intrigued me to have more. It was very drinkable but lacked depth and character. Having had great Kolsch style beers in Germany, I would say this is an average interpretation on this classic style

Mouthfeel: Slightly drying and very fast without any lingering flavors.

Overall, it was good (not great). Very middle of the road in flavor and character. Worth trying but I don't believe I would go out of my way to have this again.

2.93/5  rDev -13.6%

Appeared a crystal clear golden orange, just like a bud light. I was expecting a lighter beer, a basic lager with a bit of oomph. Unfortunately it was like a light lager. Virtually no hop or bitterness. It was very smooth and was not unpleasant in any way. I would define this more like a basic lager. Better than bmc beers but on that path more than I liked.

3.06/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a pint glass, this beer was light gold, almost yellow in appearance with exceptional clarity and almost no head. Smell was a little on the weak side, but some grass and wheat was noted. Flavor was very mellow, starting out thin and moving to medium. Very subdued pale malts and grassy European hops finish the taste. Aftertaste is a little dry with grass and citrous.

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Sample at the brewpub: Clear gold color with some rising bubbles. Thin ivory head that dissipates slowly and sticky patches of lacing. The aroma is mildly hoppy and malty. Light, clean body with sweet malt and hops flavors. Not bad overall. Redwood seems to put more effort into their lighter offerings than many brewpubs.

Redwood Lodge Kölsch from Redwood Lodge