PB & J'ale'y

Gots
SCORE
Very Good
PB & J'ale'yPB & J'ale'y
Notes: Amber ale flavored with grape juice and peanut butter.
Reviews: 12 | Ratings: 42 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
BigIronH from Michigan

3.13/5  rDev -18.5%

I didn’t care for this one at all. In comparison to all the other jelly beers I’ve had, this one had very little of the sweet flavor I was expecting. And compared to the even more peanut beers I’ve had, the flavor was lacking in that department as well. I’m not sure if they were trying to find their balance between the two and got lost trying not to overpower one to the other? But it didn’t work for me. The biggest problem though is that this beer was massively over carbonated. It didn’t matter how slow I poured the head continued to grow until I had about 2 inches of beer in the mug and the rest filled with foam. Obviously drinking another one out of the can avoided this particular problem but I definitely still felt bloated after drinking it. Not to say every batch is like this, but this particular one ruined it for me. Won’t buy again.

Jan 24, 2021
dd53grif from Michigan

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours an Amber Brown with a foamy head. Jelly comes through in the aroma but peanut butter comes through in the taste. Taste is sweet with a hint of bitterness.

Jan 24, 2020
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%

Tonight, I am CANcentrating on The CANQuest's (tm) problem children. They are those beers who do not know how to behave in (especially) warm/hot weather & decide to test the limits of their aluminum CANtainer. If I CAN identify them in time, I will move them up in the queue of the backlog & throw them into the reefer in the hopes of salvaging it. Other times, I only hear a metallic "TING!" followed by a gushing explosion. 8={} In those cases, the CAN is dumped, rinsed & placed in The CANQuest (tm) Bag o' Shame to be displayed whenever I go for a lecture.

From the CAN: "Peanutty Up Front with a Concord Grape Finish"; "Michigan Craft Beer Brewed for Beer Lovers"; "Elk Brewing [-] Est. 2014".

I alleviated the pressure on the lid with a Crack! of the vent & when nothing untoward occurred, I proceeded. My next move was a slow, gentle C-Line Glug, keeping an eye on it the entire time. It foamed up, almost unCANtrollably, but stopping before it overflowed the rim of the glass. Color was Deep-Amber/Light-Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was redolent with peanut butter & I was glad that I do not have (pea)nut allergies! Wow. Mouthfeel was medium to full, not quite creamy, but definitely evocative of a liquefied PB&J sammich. Well, they definitely nailed it in terms of the taste. It beCAN VERY much of peanut butter, but it slowly gave 'way to a subtle grape jelly sweetness. And by "sweetness", I mean REALLY sweet! I CANnot stand sweet stuff any more & this was leaving me feeling unCANfortable. It was like eating, er, drinking a little kid's lunch. "TOO sweet!" exclaimed Woodilocks. Oof. Also, grape jelly is among my least faves. PB & strawberry jelly/jam/preserves? Okay, but grape? Nein! Finish remained cloyingly sweet & now I just wanted something salty, savory or just plain munchy. This did not do it for me! YMMV.

Aug 07, 2019
tone77 from Pennsylvania

4.19/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has the color of dipping your knife into a jar of Goober's PB & Jelly, and getting 2 parts PB and 1 part jelly, with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is bursting with peanut butter. Taste is strong of peanut butter, light grapes are present at the finish. Feels medium/full bodied in the mouth and overall, if you are a fan of PB & jelly sandwiches, try this beer!

Feb 19, 2019
azurek66 from Illinois

4.87/5  rDev +26.8%

Had the beer over the weekend for the first time, and I have to say that it was great enough for me to finally make the plunge and create an account here just to write a review.

Details of how I discovered the beer aside, I've never had anything quite like this - and I've had my hand in marketing for a local microbrewery that loves to create exotic beers.

Look:
On the surface, we're talking pretty average. It's got a darker tint to it, which is to be expected given the "jelly" sort of look. When the light hits it, it looks like a normal beer. You're not diving into this beer because of how it shows in your tankard.

Smell:
You know peanut butter, and you know jelly. You know what they smell like together - liquify those notes and throw it in a glass. This beer perfectly replicates what your brain expects, and makes a near perfect connection to those nostalgic days of pb&j lunches in grade school. I actually believe that the smell coupled with the nostalgia lends to the boost in taste.

Taste:
Quite frankly, I have never had a beer like this before. I won't say that it takes leaps and bounds to be overly-unique, but it knows exactly what it is and it does it well. You will get the flavors you're expecting in the name. No sudsy after-taste, and nothing that lingers too long on the tongue.

Feel:
No truly odd feels on the buds here. Nothing out of the ordinary from what you expect with any ale. You're not going to get a residual feel on the tongue like you might expect after having something with peanut butter.

Overall: 4.75
I love when a beer knows what it is, and does it well. PB & J'ale'y does that very well. For an ale with a body like this, it's actually fairly sessionable. It's worth noting that if you're not into sweet beers, you might go one and done. I found myself craving a second after I finished, but ultimately decided against it since I wanted to taste other beers at our event. That having been said, I know I would have been perfectly happy to have had a second without feeling full, and possibly a third.

I would highly suggest this beer if you're looking for something unique, and could easily see this as a supplemental desert beer. Whenever I'm in the Michigan area, this will become a staple of my hunt for their local beers.

Cheers!

Sep 25, 2018
Tshane from Michigan

4.53/5  rDev +18%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing beer but as usual I can't taste the nuances of flavors posted by several of the more detailed readers and tasters.

What I smell initially is kind of a sugar cookie meets Oreo vibe, with a nice medium brown color...

The sugar cookie meets Oreo theme continues with a somewhat nutty quality in the taste with a good bit of his oenis and a balancing slight bitterness that increases at the Finish, not something I really enjoy.

His "oenis" is the retarded voice-to-text translation of fishiness by the way... No there it again, FIZZINESS...

I guess FIZZINESS is okay but not something I look for in a beer except in a balanced amount.

Overall I would get it again but only when I'm in the mood for a sugar cookie. And when I really want a beer instead but I can't decide between sugar cookie or beer and I don't have any sugar cookies.

Jan 17, 2018
StoutHunter from Michigan

2.22/5  rDev -42.2%

I picked up a bottle of Elk Brewing's PB & J'ale'y last week at The Lager Mill. I haven't tried too many beers from this brewery and this one caught my eye and I thought it was worth taking a chance on, so lets see how it goes. 2017 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it that goes well with the name and it's a little eye catching. It poured a darker brown amber color which took on a golden amber color when held to the light and it had five fingers worth of very fluffy, fizzy and chunky light tan head that died down to a a couple fingers worth and it left a little bit of spotty lacing. This beer doesn't look the greatest, it's obviously over carbonated.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with a peanut butter and nutty aroma being the first to show up and that goes right into an artificial, extract, cardboard and plasticy like flavors with the plastic seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a good amount of doughy yeast that leads into the malts which are on the lighter side and impart some toasted malt, pale malt, grainy, sweet malt and light corn like aromas with a little bit of creaminess at the end. This beer didn't have good aroma, it was full of aromas that took away from the peanut butter aspects.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the peanut butter still being the first to show up, but it's lighter than it was in the aroma and it's taken over by those weird off aspects that I got in the aroma this time they are watery. Up next comes some doughy yeast that leads into the malts which impart more of adjunct lager taste this time and it's watery. On the finish there's a fruity flavors with a little bit of bitterness and some more sweetness and it had a nasty extra peanut butter and off flavors in the aftertaste. This isn't a good tasting beer, it really doesn't have hardly any redeeming qualities.

M- Not smooth, slightly creamy, a little watery, very crisp, over carbonated, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel is in't too good and it could use some work.

Overall I didn't think this was a good beer and it's not a good example of the style, it needs some major work, every single aspect had some problems. This beer didn't have good drinkability, I drain poured it half through because I couldn't suffer through it anymore. What I like the most about this beer is the nothing, there isn't a sing;e aspects that stands out as being better than the rest. What I like the least about this beer is the off flavors, the beer might still be drinkable if it wasn't for those. I wouldn't buy this beer again I wouldn't not recommend this beer. All in all I wasn't a fan of this beer and the more I drank the worse it got till I had to pour it out. It's now my least favorite beer from this brewery and it's not a good example of the style. Better luck next time guys, this one needs some major work.

Dec 27, 2017
claminat420 from Michigan

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured heavily into my Libbey porter glass.

Appearance- a very slight transparent amber color with a reddish/ red wine mixture. Frothy head that's leaves minimal lacing. Best thing about this beer.

Aroma- peanut butter and nutmeg. No jelly. Not bad but I feel like I get the same aroma from pumpkin beers.

Flavor- don't get any jelly just a peanut butter and nutmeg flavor.

Mouthfeel- medium light bodied. Alil too much carbonation for my taste.

Drinkability- can drink this one no problem but can't drink more.

Overall- this beer is like an average pumpkin beer. Too many options out there. No grape and feel like it's just a shock beer. Like oh pb and j beer cool different.

Dec 24, 2017
Tripel_Threat from Michigan

4.11/5  rDev +7%

Wow. Really hits the nail on the head. Copper colored liquid - produces two fingers of honeycombed head that's here and gone. No lacing. Aroma is pure PB&J: smooth peanut butter, roasted peanut shells, white, crusty bread, and sweet grape. Flavor hits all the notes, too. Earthy and herbal peanuts in the shell, lightly roasted, bready malts, and a sweet grape finish. Quite nice!

Dec 21, 2017
TheSixthRing from California

3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours slightly hazy and copperish in color. Off-white, near finger width head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a thin, broken layer of suds on the surface. No lacing.

Smell - Peanut butter, earth, mild grape and crust.

Taste - Follows the nose. Peanute butter at first before a big hit of earthiness; dusty peanut shell flavor if you will. Hints of fruity sweetness. Mild grape. Finish is a hint of toast with more dull earthiness.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with moderate carbonation. Slick, easy enough drinker with a slightly dry finish.

Overall - Decent, but too much earthy character for my liking, while the fruitiness comes across as a bit of an afterthought. I honestly did not enjoy this as I thought I would, but kudos for giving it a shot.

Nov 18, 2017
hoptheology from South Dakota

3.87/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours light which forms into a cidery color and an off-white 1/2 finger of head. Light hilly lace on the glass.

Nutty aroma hinting at peanut butter and a sweet note hinting at viney grapes. Bread crusts as well! Pretty incredible.

Flavor starts with a touch of woody hop, followed by nuts, some grape Kool-Aid powder, more woody hop, musty barley, and bread crusts.

Feel is very carbonated, slightly oily, and the oil continues through the finish with a slight dryness.

Overall, a decent PB&J beer. Not groundbreaking, but a solid drinker nonetheless.

Oct 25, 2017
superspak from North Carolina

4.13/5  rDev +7.6%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass; no bottle dating, but is a recent release. Pours slightly hazy medium orange/amber color with a 2 finger fairly dense and fluffy off white head with awesome retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice dense soapy lacing clings down the glass, with fair amount of streaming carbonation. Fantastic appearance. Aromas of huge peanut butter, red grape, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light caramel/pepper, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of peanut butter, grapes, bready malt, and light earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of huge peanut butter, red grape, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light caramel/pepper, and herbal/toasted earthiness. Light herbal/spicy bitterness and slight fruit tartness on the finish. Lingering notes of peanut butter, red grape, brown bread, toasted biscuit, light caramel/pepper, and herbal/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Great complexity, robustness, and balance of peanut butter, grapes, bready malt, and light earthy hop flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance, and minimal astringent flavors after the finish. Lightly increasing dryness from bitterness. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth, moderately creamy/bready/grainy, and lightly sticky/chalky balanced mouthfeel that is great. Zero warming alcohol as expected of 5%. Overall this is an awesome fruit beer! All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of peanut butter, grapes, bready malt, and light earthy hop flavors; very smooth and refreshing to drink. Very flavorful for the low ABV. Perfectly balanced PB, fruit jam, and biscuity malt flavors; with just enough earthy hops to balance. A really enjoyable offering. They really nailed the sandwich flavor profile with this one.

Aug 19, 2017