Samuel Adams Octoberfest
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest
Score:
Ranked #40,128
3.68 | pDev: 13.86%
From:
Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Massachusetts, United States
Avail:
Rotating/Seasonal
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest
Notes: In 1810, the Oktoberfest tradition was born when Munich celebrated the Crown Prince's wedding with a special beer and 16-day party. Our version of this classic style blends hearty malts for a deep, smooth flavor of caramel, creating a brew that's perfect for the season, or whatever you're celebrating. Smooth with a roasty sweetness, and light hop character.
Reviews: 2,279 | Ratings: 8,027 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by hman43:
hman43 from North Carolina

3.82/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Look: It pours dark amber with an off white head. Head retention is good.

Smell: It has some bread and toast aspects with an herbal component in the background.

Taste: It has some toasty bready aspects in the flavor with herb and cherry in the background.

Feel: It has a moderate body.

Overall: A good tasting drinkable oktoberfest ale.

Sep 19, 2020
MikeyBadnews from Massachusetts

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Cheers!

Sep 09, 2014
robinsonmike from Michigan

4.61/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No "Beer Snob" review here. Bottom line, It's good. The best, readily available, Oktoberfest beer you will find. Perfect fall beer with a smooth finish. You will love it.

Feb 12, 2015
gfreed from Massachusetts

1.78/5  rDev -51.6%

Dug this out of an icy tub at a party; it was swimming in a sea of Bud and Michelob. Saved! thought I, but... wrong was I. This had all the aromatic charm of a Coors Light, which is to say it smelled like socks, and all the taste of beer made with the finest corn and rice that money can buy, only it doesn't *have* any corn and rice in it. This is about as close to a Marzen as cold oatmeal. Given the options, I may have had better luck with the Michelob. Boo.

Oct 10, 2010
Todd from California

3.36/5  rDev -8.7%

Pours an outstanding crystal clear dark amber with a massive, thick, slightly off-white foam head with plenty of laced stick and retention.

Metallic, grain, a bit musty.

A smooth and even malty body kicks things off for this beer. Malts are sweet, a bit chewy. Notes of raisin and a soft, weak, watery plum flavour. Grape skin. Gentle hop leaf feel in the background with some herbal hop spice -- little bitterness. More metallic, grain and some mineral flavours that fall into the finish. Burnt raisin on the edges. Slightly dry. Odd steel aftertaste in the finish.

This is a very "safe" offering from the Boston Beer Company. Very average and unexciting compared to other Oktoberfestbiers. Worth trying if it's all you can get, but worth passing on if you can find better. I also swear that the recipe is being dumbed down every year ...

Sep 19, 2002
hopphead31415 from Virginia

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I wanted to compare and contrast some of the Octoberfest brews that are starting to become available. I grabbed this one, because I love Sam Adams. This one has a mild 5.3% ABV. Let’s see what I noticed.

Look-It pours a clear and rich copper amber color that reminds me of the red/orange brown of the leaves that fall in autumn. The large head settles into a thin film quickly and leaves moist fine lacing on the glass.

Smell-It smells of toffee and caramel malts slightly. There is a bit of spiciness on the nose as well.

Taste-It has a fluid flavor with a slightly more noticeable hop component which was surprising. The hops paired well with the spices like nutmeg which I picked up on.

Mouthfeel-This medium-bodied beer has low carbonation and a slight lingering coating on the tongue with a sweetness that is appropriate.

Overall-It is a standard Octoberfest beer, but coming from Sam Adams it has a bit more grassy hops in it than the other Octoberfest beers that I have tried. It is nothing mind-blowing, but it is drinkable and goes down smooth. Enjoy!

Aug 13, 2015
ThomasMetal75 from Massachusetts

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

A- Dark ruby red as Sam Adams says on their site. Had a frothy, 1 finger head that died. Head was rocky and pillowy. Egg shell colored head.

S- Big malts. Toffee like sweetness, toasted notes. Brown bread crust.

T- Light hop presence. Toffee like sweetness. Toasty. Has graininess as well. Lightly fruity.

M- Medium on the body. It is crisp clean and refreshing. Not quite as dry as American lagers.

Overall you can tell that your drinking an American interpretation of the classic fest beer from Germany. It's got standard Octoberfest flavors, but with a bit more hop presence and a fruity taste. Not bad at all, but not one I need to rush out to get this fall.

Sep 05, 2014
CorknCapSouthingtonCT from Connecticut

4.67/5  rDev +26.9%

I hate to admit it but when I got these in the other day.....first week of August I was a little disgusted since there's still another month of summer, but I couldn't resist. It's my favorite beer, and although I would have preferred it on tap, I had to have it.

Aug 13, 2015
utopify from Tennessee

4.69/5  rDev +27.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I know this is a big commercial beer and in about every store you'd find coca-cola, but after tasting a gambit of Oktoberfest Marzen brews over the last couple of weeks, not one of them hits every portion of the flavor spectrum like this one. Such a deep nutty malt flavor....as you drag it past your teeth to create a full and creamy flavor spectrum on your tongue. It is my favorite Marzen - well done guys.

Oct 03, 2016
Sammy from Canada

3.27/5  rDev -11.1%

Drinkable and some taste from roast, sam adams to me is positioned as a transition from macro to craft beer. Bit of hop bitterness, even Sourness leading to some fruit juice in finish. Well malted and suitably carbonated. No colour, and thin mouthfeel.

Oct 31, 2005
MilwaukeeBeerMaker from Wisconsin

3.64/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A nice, smooth easy drinking example of the style. Some light sweetness in the flavor and I really like the smell of this beer. Easy to pound down several in a sitting.

Aug 28, 2015
Nibbley from Georgia

1.49/5  rDev -59.5%

Wow, I am so surprised by this offering from Sam Adams.
Appearence is a nice copper color with a thick cream colored head.
Mouthfeel is very watery.
Aroma is hard to describe because is almost non exsistent.
Taste is the most disapointing. Is mostly water with little carbonation and a God Awful metallic taste that I can't get out of my mouth.
Unfortunatly, I bought a 12 pack of this nasty beer. I am hoping I have a neighbor with no taste to pawn this one off on.

Aug 31, 2008
cokes from Wisconsin

2.16/5  rDev -41.3%

Dull amber color. Doesn't seem to sparkle like a nice lager should. Slow but steady carbonation. Foamy off-white head did not retain well.
Odd smelling. Fake malt sweetness. Notes of adjuncts (corn) and some godawful spice I can't seem to place.
Taste is equally uninspired. Onslaught of cloying psuedo-malt sweetness. Toffee coated adjuncts. This is what I'd expect Miller's Oktoberfest to taste like. Corn-filled, fake, cheap and abysmal. An ugly blast of grain alcohol seals the finish on this one.
My least favorite o-fest to date. Actually, one of the least favorite beers I have had in a while.

Sep 06, 2002
KEH from Michigan

4.78/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is probably one of my favorite beers. If I could get it all year around, I'd probably be dead! It pours a deep copper color. You can definitely smell the malts and a touch of hops. The malt is definitely the key player in the flavor. It's a wonderful beer that's easy to drink.

Aug 31, 2018
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

It is time of the Fall seasonals and I am trying some new ones this year while they are fresh.

From the bottle: "Samuel Adams Octoberfest is brewed with five varieties of malted barley for a deep amber color and a bigger richer flavor. It's everything we look forward to in Fall."; "In 1810, the Oktoberfest tradition was born when Munich celebrated the Crown Prince's wedding with a special beer and a 16-day party. Our version of this classic style blends rich malts for a hearty, smooth flavor with notes of caramel creating a brew that's perfect for the season, or whatever you're celebrating. Cheers! [undersigned] Jim Koch".

A Pop! of the cap and the pour produced a finger of fluffy eggnog-colored head with excellent retention. Color was a deep copper with NE-quality clarity, reminiscent of a former G/F's hair. Nose was rich and malty and very evocative of the style. Mouthfeel was medium and it was sweet in a toasted cereal way that reminded me of Wheaties, which my father would swear by. It was not cloyingly sweet, but more toasty sweet, if that makes any sense. I liked it simply because I do not like overly sweet anything. The finish was semi-sweet and very pleasant. Worth a try at this time of year.

Sep 12, 2011
BigDaddyWarbuxx from Iowa

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A very nice Oktoberfest beer. A little bit of caramel adds the sweetness here, with a pretty subdued malt profile. Would have liked some more malt, but still very nice.

Aug 25, 2015
bryce40588

4.75/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Perfect seasonal beer! I always look forward to the fall because of this.

May 26, 2015
kpoole25 from Arizona

Solid beer, I'm glad they go full-on old school, seems like lots of crystal malts (horrors!), none of those weird raisin-y speciality malts that breweries seem to be adding to make them stand apart, but instead are gimmicky and ruin so many malty beers. It's a straight up, full flavored, malt forward lager that seems to defy it's mere 5.3% ABV.

Oct 01, 2015
ABabbidge from Kansas

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle.

L: Very clear dark amber color with a foamy off white head.

S: Malty and sweet. Maybe some faint hop presence.

T: Sweet caramel malt. Raisins. Bitter finish with something odd I can't quite place. Leaves a lingering caramel malt taste.

O: Like I said there is some odd flavor I can't quite place. Also just too sweet for my taste. For what it's worth though, I am reviewing this poured from a bottle. I had it on tap a few weeks ago and it was much better on tap.

Nov 11, 2016
hophead723 from California

2.52/5  rDev -31.5%

Look: Quite clear dark amber with a nice foamy head. This series of beers seem to all have fleeting heads, leaving me to believe Sam Adams is skimping on ingredients and therefore quality.

Smell: Toasty malt aroma with a touch of grassy hops. Hmmm....these beers seem to have a homogonized character. Not much difference between them as if they didn't use an all grain process.

Taste: Watery, mildly spicy, and a little bit of yeast.

Feel: Loose.

Overall: I wouldn't recommend this unless you were eating a piece of pumpkin pie.

Jul 27, 2015
Strat58cat from California

3.84/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It's amazing that the bouquet of Octoberfest (sorry, years of drinking wine before recently returned to craft beer) actually has a note that is reminiscent of pumpkin. Very appropriate. Octoberfest specifically and the Boston Beer Company in general need to be appreciated for their unique craft paradigm. Octoberfest is the antithesis of a hoppy IPA, actually featuring far less hops than Sam's trademark Boston Lager. It's all about the malt. The aroma is malt-driven. The beer is thick and rich. The five malts featured here show so clearly. It's hopped just enough to provide the requisite neutrality. It's neither bitter nor cloyingly sweet, but rich. The flavors are as unique in today's marketplace as in 1989. This beer is 15 IBU, not 65 like the starkly different Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA. Variety is the spice of life, and this autumn brew is subtle. This is a really old-school, five-malt, more traditional than the Germans (now serving Helles at Oktoberfest in Munich) hyper-quality-malt beer.

Aug 29, 2015
Vetbidder from Pennsylvania

3.59/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Nice amber Oktoberfest look to this beer with a quickly receeding head from tap at Miller's Alehouse. To me this has a nice scent and flavor. It it's of light caramel malt with some toastiness, not bad but nothing exciting. Also needs more carbonation in my opinion.

Sep 17, 2017
Anthony1 from Colorado

3.62/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a bright, clear copper with a fluffy, lasting light cream head. Aromas of toasted grain, light caramel, and subtle but telltale Sam Adams yeast. Sweet caramel entry, sweeter than the nose would indicate, leading into savory toasted grain, and lightly nutty on the finish.

Light to medium in body, with mild carbonation lending itself to a moderately rich mouthfeel. A pretty good, drinkable Oktoberfest.

Oct 06, 2009
gromis from Pennsylvania

First off, this beer has one of the best heads I've ever experienced. Very nice consistency, long lasting; it's mouth-watering creamy goodness!

The nose is a light combination of malt, hops, and a slight fruitiness.

There is a pronounced pleasant light hoppiness all through the taste on this one. Fade is a nice combination of hops and malt.

Definitely would drink this again.

Sep 17, 2010
notchucknorris from California

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

A: Pours a clear copper color with a one finger tan head. Lots of carbonation visible in the glass.

S: Lots of sweet, toasted malt upfront. Some nuttiness and a bit of yeast as well.

T: A pretty solid rich malty flavor throughout with some almond paste, slight hop bite, toasted wheat bread and some buttered toast. Not bad at all.

Aug 09, 2012
Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 83 out of 100 with 8027 ratings