Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest
3.67/5
Good
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Ratings: 7,698 |  Reviews: 2,195

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Sam Adams Octoberfest

Should be fresh enough. Pours a very deep and dark amber color, with a medium off white head and medium retention. Sweet malts, perhaps toast in the aroma. Taste is definitely sweet with a slightly astringent finish that almost seems like a very mild version of roast. Drink easy and smooth. Can't be beaten for buck a bottle.

3, 3.5, 3.5, 4, 4

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%

I went out for a meal and noticed this on tap.

I received my pint glass and it had virtually no head. Sorry, I must discount this beer due to the bar's poor kegging ability.

Nose was weak due to no head. Some malt and hops.

Taste was very drinkable and loaded with nice roasted malts and hops and some caramel behind that. Mouthfeel was still tingly even though there was no head. Overall a rather enjoyable beer.

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%

So, I want to like samuel adams... I don't know what it is about it, it tastes good and all..., its just kinda got that "for the masses" taste..., but i'm being a snob, and old sammy a's been doing this for a long time, so i gave their harvest variety 12 pack a shot. I started with the octoberfest.

A. clean, very little head, lightlightlight brown.

S. sweet malts, caramel, sweet butter.

T. it's tasty, but not too adventures. sweet malty light brown ale flavor... I wish i could say more. can't taste the hops, it's not overly sweet, it has a nice balance about it. I think it's flavor is a good starter for people who say they don't like "good" beer...

M. this might be my favorite part to this beer. it's smooth and satisfying in the mouth.

D. E A S Y ! ! ! if you're payin', keep em' coming...

cheers!

3.62/5  rDev -1.4%

I know Fall is around the corner when this starts to pop up in my grocery store. Brings a good sense of nostalgia since this Sam Adams launched me into the world of beer outside the Macros. This was the beer that started it all for me.

That said, this starts to hit the shelves in late-August, which is still the depths of summer in Florida. Before we even get a tiny bit of relief from the heat, November brings their Winter Lager.

It's a good beer, but more of an emotional review for me. It's not the best Octoberfest I've had, but this is a good and cheaper method of introducing yourself to the Marzen style. It's an old-faithful that I know will be there every year. And every year I will always get a six-pack and move on.

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark amber with an off-white head that recedes quickly, leaves plenty of lacing behind.

Smells ever so slightly of pumpkin spice, barley, maybe a hint of caramel.

Tastes of brown bread and barley, Munich malts, well balanced, subtle.

Medium-light bodied, medium carbonation, decent drinkability.

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%

Moderate carbonation and frothy head that doesn't last too long but leaves some lace. Copper/orange color and more malt than hops in fact the hops are barely noticable. Nose has some fruitiness but it is barely noticeable. Finish is smooth with some sweetness but not cloying.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%

Clear, copper color with an off-white creamy head.

This one had minimal aroma: some faint malt aromas. I find that this style is not the most aromatic.

A rich, malty flavor that is somewhat balanced by some lingering hop bitterness. The emphasis here is on the malt - perhaps too much so.

Solid medium bodied and a little too much carbonation.

I did enjoy a pint of this with my meal, but given the malty flavor, I would not have more than a couple. Still, a solid offering.

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%

A: Pours a muddy brown, amber hues.Two finger off white head.

S: A bit blank...toasted malt, touch of spice. Faint nuttiness.

T: Nutty malt accented by spice. Mid palate is sweet caramel, rolling into a sour mash type of finish. One of the spicier Oktoberfest beers. Lots of breadiness, not as clean or crisp as some examples. Still, good.

M: Medium body, high carbonation.

O: Still a good beer after all this time (and after trying so many other examples of the style). Easily accessible too, which counts for more than a little something.

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz

A: Clear amber with golden edges. Pours with a good thick head that leaves a little lacing down the sides.

S: Smells carmely and another smell that is off. Like sourness. Cant realy place what it is. Smells toasty. Not totally bad, but not great either.

T: Mmmm this is a good beer. A very sweet taste upfront with hints of sweet camrmel and a little toastyness. The hops kick in mildly as a back thought of the profile. I like it. Probally my favorite Sam Adams.

M: A nice carbonated medium bodied feel. A tad syrupy, but I think the carbonationg is just right for the style.

D: Good but tough to drink more than one. The sweetness is overpowering.

3.61/5  rDev -1.6%

I had a chance to sample this one in the bottle and compare to Spaten and Paulaner Oktoberfests in the keg. Jim Koch is my hero!!!! Although I would choose the German Oktoberfest's given the choice, this is one damn good beer. If I could brew and Oktoberfest this good, I don't think I'd ever leave the house. I won't bore you with the details about appearence and flavor as others have posted good specifics, but I will say you should go out and buy a sixer before they are gone for the season.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured bottle into a pint glass. Uniform amber color and expected of a marzen. Like another reviewer, I drink a lot of beer and this was probably one of the first Octoberfests I drank many, many years ago.
I love the octoberfest/marzen style and this is a good marzen -- one that is readily available if out at a bar in the Fall. I don't bag on Sam Adams, as they've done so much for the craft beer industry and still make decent, drinkable (albeit large volume) beer.

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Appearance - Light amber color. Thin tan head with some good lacing and retention.

Smell - Nuts, caramel malts, hops, and some honey.

Taste - Nuts and caramel seem to be the dominant flavors. The honey seeps in mid sip and the finish is hoppy.

Mouthfeel - Light/Medium body. Crisp mouthfeel. Slightly sticky.

Drinkability - Very easy to drink and highly sessionable in these cool fall months.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.6/5  rDev -1.9%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.67 out of 5 with 7,698 ratings