Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Ratings: 7,491 |  Reviews: 2,149

Am I the only one that seems to think this beer has gone down hill over the last two years? It's just always tasking skunky now, not good.

I'm surprised at just how uninteresting this beer is. It smells like bread dough from yesterday, and tastes like it too. Just very bland with a metallic aftertaste. Poured from a bottle into a glass. The color and body are okay, but overall this just a step up from your average cornerstone macro, nothing special.

Maybe I just got a bad bottle but I don't see what the big deal is here. I'd try another in case I want to change my review, but I don't really want to spend money on another one of these when Sam Adams makes other brews that I actually like.

2.03/5  rDev -44.4%

I was not impressed by this beer at all. Unfortunately, the beer distributor was closed so I had to go to 7/11. I saw sams octoberfest and decided it was the most appealing beer in the fridge so I thought I would give it a shot.

It smells like a bud light and doesn't taste much different. The taste is flat, bitter, and just does not go down well. It is tasteless to tell the truth. I guess I am becoming a beer snob because this beer is straight up bmc to me now. I had a sierra nevada before this and the SN was leaps and bounds ahead of this. It is just not tasty, it is dry and leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

I don't like this beer and wouldn't buy it again.

2.06/5  rDev -43.6%

SA O-fest is one beer I look forward to every year. This year's version, however, can be charitably described as mediocre. No significant nose,very flat taste and an unusual watery mouthfeel made me sorry I bought a whole case. Very disappointed in what is customarily a dead-on example of a superb beer style. Not this year, however. It will go into the sauerkraut and brats preparations.

2.06/5  rDev -43.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Pours transparent copper in color with a modest off-white head. Aroma smells of grassy, slightly skunky hops and some caramel. Tastes much like it smells, but worse. A funky hop stank presents up front, asserting itself through excessive carbonation. The malt aspect tastes less like caramel and more like raw sugar--quite offputting. The finish is a heavy does of wheat must. The sensation is kind of like what I would expect if I buried my head in a box of cheerios and inhaled deeply--less than appetizing. Finally the wheaty vapors subside and the process repeats itself with the next sip (sip being the operative word here).

I'm not confident I would have picked this out as an oktoberfest in a blind tasting, but then again I'm not a big fan of oktoberfests, so maybe I might have. Suffice it to say this brew has next to nothing going for it, coming off more like a beefed up light macrobrew than an homage to German brewing tradition. Not quite as bad as Sam Adam's chocolate bock, but pretty close.

2.08/5  rDev -43%

2.12/5  rDev -41.9%

Clear amber body with a thick white head that stayed there for a while.Nice lacing.This is where the beer goes downhill for me.

Malt and thats it.

Malt and more malt and more malt,not much hop flavor.This beer is entirely too sweet.

Watery mouthful and very sweet.

i wouldnt have this beer again and dont reccommend it to anyone.The sweetness killed it for me.

2.15/5  rDev -41.1%

I'll preface my comments by saying I don't consider myself an expert in any kind of specific beer, but I do feel that I'm developing a more "qualified" eval of certain types (probably 'cause I like them the most!) ... and the Oktoberfest is up on the top of those beers I think I know.

The Sam Adams is a totally "un-rememberable" brew. The nose is underwhelming, and the taste and mouth feel don't help the first impressions at all.

I'll not be bringing any of these home...

2.16/5  rDev -40.8%

Dull amber color. Doesn't seem to sparkle like a nice lager should. Slow but steady carbonation. Foamy off-white head did not retain well.
Odd smelling. Fake malt sweetness. Notes of adjuncts (corn) and some godawful spice I can't seem to place.
Taste is equally uninspired. Onslaught of cloying psuedo-malt sweetness. Toffee coated adjuncts. This is what I'd expect Miller's Oktoberfest to taste like. Corn-filled, fake, cheap and abysmal. An ugly blast of grain alcohol seals the finish on this one.
My least favorite o-fest to date. Actually, one of the least favorite beers I have had in a while.

2.18/5  rDev -40.3%

Bottle to pint glass.

A: A half finger of foamy head with average retention, between off-white and light brown in color. The body is clear and a bright, medium value copper. An abundance of fast paced interior bubbles maintain the lingering film. Spare lacing.

S: Aside from toasted grain, there is very little to appreciate on the nose.

T: Almost lacking flavor altogether. Malt sweetness up front with light fruity undertones. The flavor falls off of a cliff mid-palate, likely due to the aggressive carbonation.

M: Medium body. The texture is creamy as the beer passes through your lips, just before the excessive carbonation prickles the tongue. Moderately dry on the finish. This beer becomes mildly cloying towards the bottom of the glass when the liveliness of the carbonation has worn itself out.

D: One of BBC's more uninspired brews. Not enjoyable to drink.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)