Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Ratings: 7,478 |  Reviews: 2,148

3.43/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

LOOK: SMALL head, nice lacing, orange/red very clear
Smell: bread and caramel
Taste: Same as smell, plus a little Spicey, ends with sweetness
Feel: very drinkable
Overall: I can drink it but not a big fan

4.5/5  rDev +23.3%

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%

3.63/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I generally enjoy Sam's version of an Oktoberfest. Nice copper color, malty and slightly roasty taste. I find it interesting the number of commentators on here that find it necessary to dislike this beer because it is produced by Sam. I brew my own Oktoberfest, lived in Germany, been to the real Oktoberfest in Munich, and still enjoy this offering from Sam. Not my hands down favorite. I reserve that for Ayinger. But Sam has won multiple awards for this beer and I think they were well deserved.

4.02/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

A - Beautiful burnt-orange color, half-an-inch of creamy head

S - Not much on the smell . . .

T - Malty, caramel, very smooth; Little carbonation and not very bitter or hoppy at all

M - Smooth, creamy, and very drinkable!

O - This is a Fall staple for me. Almost always a six-pack in my fridge in the fall and winter months. Most places around here (IA) have it on tap too, so it's a good one to get used to. May be a little too early for it's tastes (late-August) but couldn't resist once I saw it in the liquor store. One of my all-time favorites.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Sam Adams sets the bar high, and maybe my expectations are just a bit too high for this brew. It has plenty of malt flavor, and the malt provides sweetness that is only half checked by the hop bitterness that comes in later. Typical autumn flavors of caramel, toffee, and maybe pumpkin as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with some astringency biting the tongue. Overall, I like the fact that it is easily available, but with Great Lakes Oktoberfest hitting the shelves this week, I'm going to have to go with that one instead this season.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)