Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,142 | Ratings: 7,416
4.93/5  rDev +34.7%

First off .... I do believe they change the recipe every year, I go through several cases every year. The 2010 Octoberfest was the best they have ever made and the 2011 was not as good!

Some other reviews said it has a citrus quality, thats wrong!

Malty, caramel, with harvest flavors; pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, clove, allspice.

3.66/5  rDev 0%

Pleasant amber color with a thin but resilient head. The flavors balance nicely, a bit of hop, a bit of sweet, a bit of spice and pumpkin, with none of them standing out too much. The aftertaste is a bit drier than I'd like but it doesn't ruin the experience at all. Overall, a good solid beer.

4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Looks a great reddish-amber with golden head.

Smells somewhat yeasty, pleasant caramel is present, as well as some vague fruitiness.

Very malty, pumpkin-like quality in the middle, sweet caramel coming in towards the end, capping off the taste.

Feels mediumish bodied.

As per their norm, Sam Adams delivers a crowd-pleaser. Not cheap, or low-end, but not artisan-level either. Enough taste to keep a beer nerd interested, but not enough to overwhelm the uninitiated.

3.41/5  rDev -6.8%

Appearance: reddish amber with an off-white slowly diminishing head. A fair amount of lacing. I had worse expectations.

Aroma: lots of sweet malt with some grainy smells as well

Taste: sweet malty taste and a slightly bitter, watery taste. A little alcohol is present. This is kind of a one-dimensional beer. It's an Octoberfest, so its not gonna blow me away, but I have had better. The malts are definately too weak here.

Mouthfeel: a little watery, but the carbonation was done fairly well.

Drinkability: I could have a bunch of these. I had a couple out of the bottle while watching a football game and eating Taco Bell and it was great. I think its a good session brew for football games, though I would definately take Boston Lager over it.

Notes: Not bad for what it is. If you are looking for flavor, go somewhere else, but if you want a beer with more flavor than Budweiser, but the same drinkability for those long football game parties, try a Sam Adams.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

This poured a coppery orange color into my pint glass with an off-white head that left some nice lacing on my glass.

This has a more pronounced smell than some of the brews that I have been drinking lately. It smells bready and somewhat floral.

Ah, the taste. This is a malty treat. Some biscuit and caramel malt flavor with a kiss of hops to help balance all the malts. Tasty! Nice medium mouthfeel. I can drink a few of these. This is going well with my pizza tonight.

This is my favorite Samuel Adams Seasonal and the only one I actually look forward to drinking at the end of summer each year. I admit that I have only tasted a few Octoberfest beers but I really like this one.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

A- Amber in color, white 2 finger head, minimal lacing

S- Sweet Maltiness, hint of hops

T- Pretty full of flavor, touch of roasted malts and toffee

M- Medium body, fairly smooth

D- Easily drinkable, no-frills Octoberfest style lager, overall this isn't a bad choice, and if you have some BMC drinkers around that would like to try a fall style beverage this should go over easy with them. I would purchase this again, but would mix it up with some other more interesting styles.

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

SA's interpretation of the Oktoberfest/Marzen lager is good but not great.

Color is solid with the traditional auburn/copper color with a carbonated head that quickly melts to a few islands floating on the top.

Smell is of malt and more malt, with a hint of hops/fruit on the end.

The taste is good but a bit lite and the malt character is just a bit off for my taste. Hops are there on the end which is nice.

Mouthfeel and drinkability are good, and I have actually just purchased a couple of cases for poker night with the fellas, some of which think Bud Light is beer. I think they'll like it.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

I love October and this is why-Octoberfest Beers!

This is a nice offering- pours a off white head, two fingers in width.

Smells bready, malty, and a bit of caramel.

The smell doesn't last once you get halfway down- I miss that smell and wish it would stay.

Amber/copper color, very little lacing on the sides of the glass.

This is a malty beer- 5 styles used for this. I definitely find this to be the predominant ingredient and you can taste it. I get a little hop bitterness, but very little. Maybe that could be more pronounced?

For an octoberfest style, this is a good one to drink all night. It is a low alcohol, tasty and totally drinkable. Worth a try.

Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +6%

I am a fan of this one fore sure.

A: Pours amber/orange with bubbly light head and very, very thin lacing

S: Malty

T: Caramely, a little nutty with light allspice-ish spicing. Smooth aftertaste.

M: Medium carbonation, tingles on the tongue a bit

D: Highly drinkable, it goes down and finishes quite light with a refreshing taste and aftertaste. Six will go by fast with this one.

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%

Appearance: a good copper-red coloring that i'd expect from an Oktoberfest. Some head on the edges and over the surface of the beer.

Smell: this smells like a thick, full bodied beer. I can also smell the alcohol. A certain maltiness/hops is also noticed when i smell the beer. This doesn't smell particularly appealing.

Taste: Not so much the full bodied taste that i was expecting after smelling the beer. Also a strong taste of alcohol is definitely felt when sipping the beer. Malty bitter taste, w/ alcohol on the end. I don't taste a full bodied flavor thats supposed to be in a Oktoberfest, and I don't really enjoy this particular beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, and the thickness is perfect. I really like the mouthfeel of this beer. There is some dryness which is to be expected w/ this beer style.

Overall: this beer looks the part and feels the part. But i don't taste the full bodied flavor that i was expecting from a Samuel Adams brew. The smell itself is what i'd expect from this type of beer, but doesn't appear to me. Taste just brings it down.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Had this at a pub the other night and I found it to be a pritty good brew. It was lacking a bit of taste compared to other octoberfests probly due to not enough hops but it had a nice toasted grain and sweet malt taste to it. Slightly bitter finish. Overall a good beer, average.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours to a deep golden/copper color with moderate head that (unfortunately) fades away to nearly nothing with little remnants on the glass.

The aroma of this beer is malty and pleasing. I find a few hints of caramel in the aroma as well.

This is a tasty beer with nice malty characteristics balanced by some gentle hops finish. Not overly bitter, but certainly not a sweet beer. After giving this beer a chance to warm up a bit and breathe, more character and subtlety appears. Very late, the hops fades in favor of malt and caramel hints.

Mouthfeel is smooth with acceptable amounts of carbonation. Not overly creamy, but not watery.

Drinkability is also good. I want another one!

This is certainly a decent example of a domestic Oktoberfest beer. Very drinkable, refreshing, and enjoyable overall.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

This is my favorite seasonal offering from Sam Adams.
It always pours a nice creamy head with some carbonation.
The taste is a malt lovers dream ... 5 malts right ? Toffee and caramel aromas.
A medium mouthfeel and and a medium finish . A fall delight for sure .
Let's say we look forward to these fall brews after a long hot summer ..

Sam Adams Octoberfest.

I'll probably catch a lot of crap from the beer snobs but I expect it to be overridden by mass adulation from the people in my area (boston) for how high I rate this, and granted my views are skewed by a nostalgic feel this beer gives me, but I think this is a tremendous Americanized interpretation of the classic German Marzen for which it’s styled after. I don’t have a lot of other beers of this style to compare it to so maybe it’s the absolute bottom feeder of it’s class, but we’ll overlook my naivety and just focus on the beer itself.

One of Sam Adams more popular seasonal brews Octoberfest pours a dark ruby red that softly fades into a medium bodied copper. Poured at a finger and a half head into an Octoberfest styled dimpled beer mug (thanks Michele) my nostalgic side takes over as the summer humidity is immediately sucked from the room and the crisp apple picking morning fall air is ushered in in a zephyr of fall winds with the falling autumn leaves dropping at my feet, Glorious!

Beer has a chewy citrus to toffee flavor that finishes thick and sticks to the pallet and throat. Tastes like a 1 pm Sunday afternoon football kickoff…. Or a caramelized sugar coated and pan fried pear chased with heavy malts.
Smell is similar and quite appeakling

To me this beer *IS* fall. Popping open a can or bottle of this closes the door on BBQs and beach parties. Days at the pool and drenching humidity and ushers in football, leaf raking, frosted morning windshields and hoodie weather.

Cheers!

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Poured into pint glass, creates 1 in. rocky foam off-white head, quickly dissapates. Has a very ruby/amber color to it, maybe even more so than a Killian's, but very attractive. Very malty in the nose, sweetness, but not much else. The taste is mostly of these sweet malts, with a slight aftertaste of hops. If I were blindfolded though I would guess this beer was an Amber Ale, there is not a very strong or distinct alcohol kick to it, mostly sweet malt blend. Overall, a very good choice.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Appearance: clear amber color with nice head that lingers, laced around the glass at every sip.

Smell: robust malt with slight hop on the back end.

Taste: Wonderfully malty, nicely balanced with hint of sweet finish.

Mouthfeel: Crips and clean. nicely balanced.

Drinkability: A very drinkable Octoberfest. Nothing crazy, very dependable. If you like a malty beer try this one.

2.8/5  rDev -23.5%

What happend to this beer? Im reviewing this in the fall of 08 and im very upset. This was one of my favorite beers for years. Ive had it about 5 times this year and discussed this with other fans and we agree the recipe has changed. As recent as last fall the lable had a comment something about being malty with "hints of caramel and toffee". Well I dont know what happend but those hints but they ar gone from the label and the bottle. This beer is moderatly full tasting in the mouth and very hoppy. This beer leaves a bat taste in my mouth and stomach. The previous version was 4.5's across the board. I cant even drink this anymore. I can only hope next year its better.

3.66/5  rDev 0%

SAMMY DOES IT AGAIN

Appearance: Pours a great reddish-amber color, very clear and smooth looking. Has a tan one finger head which dissipates within a minute and leaves a little bit of lacing behind.

Smell: Has a bittersweet aroma, almost like a sourdough bread. Caramel and spice scents are in there as well, along with a little fruit, possibly dates or figs.

Taste: Starts off slightly bitter, then finishes with a mild sweetness. Can detect some toastiness in there, with sort of a bready taste. Interesting spice combination in there
as well. Overall pretty refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, with a very good consistancy that is just the right texture. Has a carobonated feel after a second of two, which gives it kind of a fizz. Aftertaste is a mild sweetness on the palate, and feels a little filmy.

Drinkability: Very good Octoberfest beer that I would certainly buy again. This would go well with dinner or while having a snack. Recommended for fans of this kind of beer.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

I am a fan of the lager, so I figured what the heck. Not a bad brew, but I was expecting something more. Dry finish, with a sweet beginning if that makes any sense. Definitely in the style of Ofests but I prefer Spaten's offering to this.

As an aside, it is Aug 25 and I already found a few sixers at my grocery store. I recommend it but not highly.

--Joey

3.64/5  rDev -0.5%

Appearance - This one pours a penny copper colour, lots of bubbles in the body, a good sized head that sticks around for a while (which is good)

Smell - This one smells like a mix between their Boston lager and toasted breadcrust, a little malt also.

Taste - tastes a lot like the Boston lager too, a bit more body. The malts are balanced really well and not too overpowering. I simple, clean, decent taste.

Mouthfeel - This beer doesn't linger long but the mouthfeel is good. It feels thin to me, but I've been drinking motor-oil like stouts lately. The buttery toasty aftertase comes in for a 2nd showing quickly then goes away.

Drinkability - Great. These are dark enough to not suck, and carbonated great, plus the creamy head mixed with the lager drinkability makes this one good. Oops... have I had 2 already?

4.5/5  rDev +23%

A: Classic Sam Adams bottle design. Beer pours a deep red/amber color with 1 inch, long lived head

S: Toffee and caramel, rather sweet.

T: Toffee and caramel, strong but not over powering.

M: Smooth and light

D: Very drinkable, not too strong, definately not weak, perfectly balanced beer.

Octoberfest is my favorite Marzen style beer, one of the most enjoyable brews from Sam; of their beers it comes in second only when compared to their Irish Red.

4.08/5  rDev +11.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Sam Adams glass.

A- Clear brownish-amber with a thick two fingers of white head. Looks great.

S- Lots of bread and malt with some cinnamon and spicy hops. Little bit of a Budweiser-type smell apparent but overall very good.

T- Bit of a carbonation bite followed by lots of bread and cereal, slight hop bitterness at the end. Taste seems a little thin.

M- Carbonated and light. This really reminds me of Budweiser now.

D- You could go through a six pack easily.

Not quite what I was looking for as far as Oktoberfest beer goes but it's still not bad.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours golden brown...fitting for a fall brew, it's reminiscent of the color of autumn leaves. Head is lightly tan, dissipates gradually leaving a ring around the glass. Smell is malty, slightly earthy, with just a hint of hoppiness. Taste is much the same, malty with light notes of toffee and caramel, just noticeable, with a nice light hop bitterness and more of the earthy goodness. Mouthfeel is a nice balance of smooth and light...edging ever so slightly towards crisp, without really making it all the way. Drinkability is rather nice, the 5.7% ABV seems a little stronger than it is, this one has a nice warming effect without coming off as too strong. I'm not sure I could knock these back all night, but I certainly wouldn't pass one up.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

A moderate pour yields a two-finger cream colored head that quickly recedes, the beer itself is a very deep, almost reddish amber.

Smell is mostly faint spices, with a mild brown sugar-like presence.

The taste is almost a pumpkin-spice flavor upfront, followed by mild biscuit malts and a distinct diacetyl presence on the finish. I remember having this on tap and thinking that the diacetyl flavor was extremely overpowering, here, though, it seems to complement the other flavors of the beer more gracefully.

Mouthfeel is somewhat medium-bodied; I think this one could have benefited from a little less carbonation, actually.

Overall drinkability is good; I could certainly see having two or three of these in a sitting without getting tired of the flavors. Ultimately, this is a solid fall standby, but not anything earth-shattering.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Deep copper color with a frothy white head that forms a nice ring and a sweet, malty aroma. Very smooth out of the bottle with lots of malty sweetness, tending towards fruity with just enough bitter to balance at the end. Nice body and overall a good beer.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)