Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,099 | Ratings: 7,266
3.51/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my murphy's irish sout glass

A: a nice copper orangish color with an dirty off white head with loads of bubbles on the side of the glass. Pretty decent look to it.

S: Musky, metallic, clean lager smell. Also a faint sweetness deep in this one, probably have it to cold might have to report back here.

T: Starts of a bready sweet tasting with a hint of licorice in the middle then a quick transition to a nice toasty flavor that lingers on throat.

M: A wonderful medium to full mouthfeel but ends with a drying sticky toastyness all throughout my mouth.

D: Could see myself drinking a lot of these nothing to great but not at all bad, I can't help but love that fall feeling while downing these bad boys.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

This has a dark copper appearance, and held a thing ring around the glass the entire way. Not much from the smell. Some sweet malts maybe. Subtle spices on the tongue. Some maltiness with something along the lines of raisin, a touch of hop. There is a pleasant carbonation on the tongue, with a light to medium feel. This one has a good drink ability. Don't know that I would pick it up on my own accord, but if I find it at a bar I might have a couple.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

To celebrate the Fall, A and I decided to try a bunch of Oktoberfest beers. Being from Boston its only natural to try Sam Adams, althouh I am not sure if this is brewed in JP or the mid-west, but I digress. The appearance is dark golden color, and the smell is a nice malty fragrance. The taste is a bit astringent, not sure why. The puckery feel kinda overwhelms whatever maltiness the brewer was trying to convey. While not a bad beer, its not quite what I was expecting, and its not
something I will get on a regular basis. I will try again, just to make sure it was not the batch. I also notice the recipe is tweaked from year to year, so I will try again in the future.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ok, the first O - Fest of the season and I usually do not like Sam Adam's version but I had to pick it up anyway's. Pleasantly surprised here as well.

My first bottle out of the sixer was not that cold but cool enough, the suspense was killing me and it was my first beer of the day. Upon cracking her open I did the usual one nostril to the neck of the bottle and sniffed repeatedly . Nice caramel / Tootsie Roll and clean noble hop aroma mix. Immediately noticed none of the old aromas I used to find and dislike about this brew.

The color was a beautiful Marzen deep caramel hue that fits the style perfectly. Enough said on with the flavor.

It starts out with a nice prickly carbonation that tingles the tongue in a good way and then quickly shifts to a beautiful harmony of sweet ( but not cloying at all ) caramel malts and a spicy noble hop bite that upon swallowing kind of reminds you of a Boston Lager but slightly richer in malt character then the latter. I used to REALLY DISLIKE this beers overly rich and earthy maltiness and ZERO hops to balance it out. It used to have a very dark coconutty flavor that was not really toasty but just plain Blah !!! . This years batch is balanced, refreshing and just sooo easy to drink, that how I like my O - Fests. One of my favourites is Paulaner and this is much closer in terms of mouthfeel and drinkability to some of it's German counterparts. They definitely improved and tweaked this year's batch BIG TIME. Now it's a true drinkable fest beer that used to suffer from a way to deep and dark maltiness with zero balance.

If your an O - Fest fan like myself you should for sure pick up a sixer this year. I think you will agree that the flavor and drinkability are up a few notches from years past.

One of my favorite beers. When September rolls around I am going from store to store waiting for it to hit shelves. This beer is perfect for almost any time, drinking sitting on the porch in the cool air or enjoyig a slice of pizza with a nice glass at your plate's side.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice amber/brown with gold edging.
Smells of caramel, grain and fresh earth.
Taste is light caramel, bit of chocolate, with a very balanced hop presence.
Smooth, creamy mouthfeel, but just a tad too thin for me.
Could drink it all day. Good, easy drinking beer, even on a hot August day.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

Fall and winter are my favorite for beer drinking and I love Sam Adams seasonal brews. I already have stocked up on the 12 oz Octoberfest bottles. I was at my local Chili's and they had the Samuel Adams Octoberfest on-tap. Let me say this beer on-tap is fantastic.

Color: Was a nice copper color with a nice one inch head.

Smell: The smell was of malt and caramel scents are picked up.

Taste: Very smooth malt flavors of caramel, bread, and something sweet with just a tad of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Was full of body and with a clean taste.

Drinkability: I had two of these that night and could have went for more. A very good beer to drink.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Amber with a slight dark hue with a head thats promising at first but dissipates rather quickly...

S - caramel and hazelnut are the main distinguishing smells.

T - tastes of malt, roasted and dry, with a fruitiness to it.

M - not too heavy and smooth with a light carbonation...

O - Despite having an Octoberfest in February, I can safely say that Im enjoying it. A cold night beer. I was expecting a heavier taste and mouthfeel but it has a nice balance of both to make it enjoyable. The foamy head was kinda dissapointing but the flavor really makes up for it and Im relieved when I get closer to the bottom of the glass...It could be old to which that might be why the head looses its body early but that really doesnt matter at this point. Overall, I like it and will having more in the near future, regardless of month.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Had this beer many times, thought I'd review it.

Pours into a pint glass with a rich smell of caramel, malts, hops, very light roasts, tiny bit of fruit. Forms into a dark copper/burnt-orange color and poured with a full head.

I can definitely taste more malts than hops, the sweetness isn't that disrupting, but it makes it's presence. A little nutty flavor added to the finish, goes down smooth. I'm not surprised by the high alcohol content than that of Sam Adams Boston Lager, comparatively, but it definitely is full bodied and very flavorful. It's a very drinkable beer, contributed by the character malts - almost like a glaze to the beer.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

A > Really nice Amber with some lighter orange i swear. Nice stubby head cream colored

S> Not a heck of a smell until to put it in your mouth

T > Very nice taste lots of fall flavor. Light notes of cinnamon some citric..but those are really light

M > Awesome clean drink slight linger but doesnt foul like some other Sam does

O > Awesome beer, easy drinking and great flavor. I look forward to it every year. The only Sam i really like.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a dimple mug pint glass. Beautiful perfectly clear orange/reddish body fills the glass, topped with a thick khaki colored head. Head slowly falls back into beer, leaving a think covering over beer, light lacing. Nice looking pint.

Smell is of light malts, some fruity esters, gentle hops, and a thin, watery grain flavor lingering in the background. Overall, very simple.

Taste is surprising balanced as the beer hits the palate: gentle roasted malts intermingle with plenty of maltiness and some rich grape/raisin flavors, balanced out nicely with some spicy hops. Rich carbonation guides the beer down a leaves a nice tingling, sweet malts and some spicy hop notes creep through on the finish and linger for a second. As those fade out, a thin/watery grain profile comes through, somewhat similar to corn/rice? What? Definitly don't remember this in previous years brews.

Mouthfeel is very nice, actually. Body is nice and thick, almost sticky/creamy that is balanced out nicely by a good amount of carbonation that lets the brew roll around the mouth.

Drinkability is nice, a great tasting beer that is widely available. Very easy to put back.

This is my favorite seasonal beer from SA, and is a close second overall from what they have to offer (after the cream stout). I have noticed it getting better from year to year and it is definitly good this time around - the only thing that is surprising to me is the watery corn/rice profile that seems to be hiding in the back of the beer. Am I the only one noticing this, or is it just a thin malt base?

Overall, great, easy to find, and decently priced. I'll definitly be picking up some more of this!

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

I tried this at dinner tonight at Ruby Tuesday's on draft. I asked for a Dog Fish Head 60 Minute IPA but the waiter soon came back and told me they were out so I went with this. I have had it in a bottle before but never of tap. On tap was much better. The beer came a nice orange color. By the time it made it to the table whatever head there was was gone. The smell was sweet with some grain. The taste was pleasant with nuts and spice. A lot better on tap. A good seasonal!

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured out of a 22oz bottle into tall pilsner glass.

Apperance: Clear copper coloring. Siimilar to but lighter than Yuengling.
Smell: Not a lot to speak of. .
Taste: Sweet, rich malty flavor. Finishes with a nice bitterness to compliment the malt. A little unbalanced on the sweet side, but I imagine that is what they were aiming at.
Moutfeel: Appropriately fizzy and bubbly, what I'd expect.

Overall: Glad I picked this one up. It's still 80 degrees in SC on a Sat afternoon, but I imagine that a 6 pack of this would be perfect on a chilly night. Will definitely have to pick back up and try again later.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A: pours a clear, clean amber with orange-ish hue.

S: out of bottle I got an initial musky scent, but that decreased as I drank. otherwise plenty of malt and caramel.

T: Initially hit with malty-bready taste that leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M/D: fairly pleasant in texture and well carbonated for the style. easy drinking Oktoberfest beer...not the best, but one of the better ones.

Nice touch of caramel to balance out the malts here. Finish is crisp, and the mouth feel is softer than most lagers. For the price point this is a darn good o-fest.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Always nice to see the distintive blue/white/orange bottle come out this time of year! The '07 model seems to be appealing to me more than the previous years have. Perhaps my BAness has just given me more appriciation for the malty side of things...

Poured into a SA Lager glass (Thanks Bros and Jim!) a crystal clear, reddish orange topped by a healthy two inches of delicate head (large bubbles, lots of air space) that dissipated fairly quickly... Wonderful spicy nose that somehow made think of football and pumpkins. A little residual heat in the nose as well...
The maltiness is balanced quite well with the Noble hop character. I think that perhaps the hops come through a little more than in previous years... But the balance is so close that I can actually feel the middle of my tongue doing a little dance between it's sweet side and it's bitter side and smacking the roof of my mouth after swallowing. I am a big fan of this beer and can't wait to dirnk a few when the temperature starts to dip into the 40s and I can start donning some Bears gear!!

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

Amber color with a quickly shrinking off-white colored head. Decent lacing.

Sweet malty/bready aroma with notes of caramel/toffee and some toast.

Tastes of malt, caramel and toast. Light bitterness. Light/medium carbonation.

Tastes best if served cold.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is one of the Boston Beer Company's most drinkable brews. Octoberfest has a delicious pumpkin-spice taste and feels rich like the season it was brewed for in your mouth. The smell and appearance are pretty standard offerings for Sam, nothing too special. But all in all this is a real nice beer.

3.66/5  rDev 0%

A: pours a deep bright copper - perhaps a bit reddish. Nearly no head and minimal lacing. Clean and clear.

S: Sweet Malt

T: Toasted and bready malt goodness

Mf: Medium bodied. Smooth malt taste with a crisp carbonated finish.

D: Smooth and tasty. I could definitely see kicking back a few of these. Very drinkable.

I was relatively happy with this beer. It was distinctly different than the Sam Adams Boston Lager (Vienna Lager) Now if they could stop putting it on shelves in August, it would be a solid OKtoberfest.

3.31/5  rDev -9.6%

Bottle into pint glass. Someone brought a six-pack of this over for a poker game and there was one left. It's relatively dark amber in color, a relatively uninspiring head when poured in a normal way. Not a lot of scent at all really, a little bit of toasted malt but not much. The taste is better though, layers of malt with biscuit and burnt sugar. Quite smooth and easy drinking - overall a solid effort. Considering the price I wouldn't mind picking up a six-pack or two. The lady might like it even more than I do.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Looks and acts like a regular Sam Adams, a nice orange color with a fine amount of foam and lacing. Smells sweet, malty. Sip is smooth and rich, with a good mouthfeel. Hops are the first thing I notice when sipping, though they don't really have a distinct profile. Taste then turns strongly to a malty caramel flavor that works wel for the style. Sweet, but not cloying or offensive; very drinkable. It doesn't really have that typical 'Sam Adams' taste (noble hops?) which is a slight disappointment for me. Nevertheless, a great beer for the season to mix up in one's usual beer rotation.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

A very light malt aroma noted. Dark copper/orange color in appearance. Very minimual head with moderate bubbles/carbonation, very clear in appearance. Flavor is moderate with a slight bitterness, goes down smooth with no aftertatse. Will drink this every year when it comes out.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

This is a much better brew than last years fest.

Typical Sam adams quality.

Nice orange to amber color. Slight hop taste.

An enjoyable quaff that would pair nice with many foods.

The beer is better as I near the half glass - not room temperature but not ice cold.

Enjoy the fall of the year.

4.87/5  rDev +33.1%

I have always have had disappointing experiences with Sam Adams Brews, but this one is an exception. This is the best Sam Adams Brew I ever had, and is on par or better then the German Octoberfest equivalents. I have been to Germany, actually lived ther for 2 years and this beer i as good or better then any German brew. A good representation of this style

I wished they brewed this year round.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at the Flying Saucer in Memphis, TN....

Appearance: Pours a nice deep reddish brown with a 1 finger head. Not much retention.

Smell: Malty and sweet with some molasses.

Taste: Malty like the style should be. Caramel with a slight slight hint of hops. Excellent rendition of the style.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: Medium mouthfeel. Carbonation is well balanced. I really enjoy this beer when it comes out every year. It's a nice change up for all of the IPAs.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)