Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,142 | Ratings: 7,415
4.5/5  rDev +23%

Pours out amber with some orange. Smells of caramel malts. Taste is of roasted malts and caramel. Body is medium and very rich in flavor. Very good for an American oktoberfest.

4.41/5  rDev +20.5%

This beer has only 1 downfall. It's only available a few months out of the year. I found the flavor to be similar to their Winter Lager, but less bitter. This beer is very smooth and one could easily down a 6'er if they so choose.

I drink a lot of Sam Adams, and given a choice, I would drink this one year round.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

Probably my favorite of the Sam Adams line. This beer has a light, clear brownish-amber color with little head. The aroma is all malt, mostly caramel. The body has a load of malty goodness, again caramel, and a small but significant underlying bitterness to balance. It is easy to drink and generally enjoyable.

3.55/5  rDev -3%

a - pours an oranginsh-brown with a light tan head, that is fairly frothy but not long lasting. Moderate lacing.

s - Fall spices with a burnt roast background.

t - Nice balance with the malted hops and spices.

m - Low carbonization and somewhat weak bodied, but all in all not bad.

d - pretty good beer to have at your own Octoberfest

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Dark amber color with two finger head.

S: Very floral and sweet

T: Sweet and very malty. Very slight hint of hops.

M: Moderate mouthfeel with good carbonation.

D: Very drinkable. Nice representation of a Märzen

I typically do not like malty beers but this has a nice taste. Even though it is not very hoppy it is still very good.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

The beer pours with a bubbly, beige head that disappears rather quickly. The head leaves some slight lacing around the glass, but not much, and it doesn't stick around either.

The color of this fall brew is a rich copper.

For a nose, there is a deep smell of the roasted malts. I also get a hint of caramel.

Taste echoes the nose. This beer is very heavy on the malt flavors, but there is also decent balance of hoppy bitterness at the end of the taste.

This is a very smooth beer. Octoberfest has a light carbonation, and goes down easy. This is one seasonal that you can drink multiple pints and not get sick of it, or be overpowered by gimmicky seasonal flavoring.

4.48/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Looks, smells, and tastes like Autumn. The perfect fall beer and for me the most eagerly anticipated each year from BBC. Picked up an extra case to enjoy well into spring - right around their 'enjoy before' date matures - and reminisce about cool fall temps. Solid, solid beer.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle freshness notched for January, poured into a pint glass.

Look: Copper topped by a 1 1/2 finger white head that quickly subsides to just a thin layer.

Smell: Clean pleasant smell if a little faint.

Taste: Well balanced, slight hop bitterness on the swallow.

Feel: Medium with light carbonation.

Overall: I find the taste to be quite enjoyable but I'm not detecting much of the toasty flavors described in the style.

3.87/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer poured from the tap into my glass in a nice amer hue. It left a thin, off-white head that disappeared quickly (no big deal; more beer for me!).

I smelled a very floral smell to the hops, and a nice sweet malt. I picture, like a Bugs Bunny cartoon, little fingers of scent beckoning me towards the beer as I lift off my feet and float towards it. Yummy!

The taste was very sweet, almost syrupy, with a nice balance of hops. My only disappointment was that it wasn't as full-bodied as some of the other Oktoberfests I've been quaffing, like the Hacker-Pschorr. Sam Adams always crafts a great beer, but their last few seasonals have been, I think, maybe "dumbed-down" just a little bit for the general masses. A little watery and not as full-bodied as the past. But hey...I ain't gonna kick it out of my fridge, you know!

Mouthfeel, again, was a bit watery, but on the up-side, it didn't leave that high-alcohol feel on my tongue that other beers of its alcohol level can sometimes do.

Drinkability: absolutely. I'm a sucker for Sammy A, so even though it wasn't everything I hoped for, I'm still going back for more!

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%

ok, maybe my taste buds are shot from all of the hops I have been drinking this summer, but this beer tastes good... really goo. Maybe it was the sweetness or maybe it was the fact that I paid 12.99 for a 12 pack at the local A and P but it was tasty. A little sweet, but I think this is a decent Marzen

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my murphy's irish sout glass

A: a nice copper orangish color with an dirty off white head with loads of bubbles on the side of the glass. Pretty decent look to it.

S: Musky, metallic, clean lager smell. Also a faint sweetness deep in this one, probably have it to cold might have to report back here.

T: Starts of a bready sweet tasting with a hint of licorice in the middle then a quick transition to a nice toasty flavor that lingers on throat.

M: A wonderful medium to full mouthfeel but ends with a drying sticky toastyness all throughout my mouth.

D: Could see myself drinking a lot of these nothing to great but not at all bad, I can't help but love that fall feeling while downing these bad boys.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

This has a dark copper appearance, and held a thing ring around the glass the entire way. Not much from the smell. Some sweet malts maybe. Subtle spices on the tongue. Some maltiness with something along the lines of raisin, a touch of hop. There is a pleasant carbonation on the tongue, with a light to medium feel. This one has a good drink ability. Don't know that I would pick it up on my own accord, but if I find it at a bar I might have a couple.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

To celebrate the Fall, A and I decided to try a bunch of Oktoberfest beers. Being from Boston its only natural to try Sam Adams, althouh I am not sure if this is brewed in JP or the mid-west, but I digress. The appearance is dark golden color, and the smell is a nice malty fragrance. The taste is a bit astringent, not sure why. The puckery feel kinda overwhelms whatever maltiness the brewer was trying to convey. While not a bad beer, its not quite what I was expecting, and its not
something I will get on a regular basis. I will try again, just to make sure it was not the batch. I also notice the recipe is tweaked from year to year, so I will try again in the future.

3.67/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Ok, the first O - Fest of the season and I usually do not like Sam Adam's version but I had to pick it up anyway's. Pleasantly surprised here as well.

My first bottle out of the sixer was not that cold but cool enough, the suspense was killing me and it was my first beer of the day. Upon cracking her open I did the usual one nostril to the neck of the bottle and sniffed repeatedly . Nice caramel / Tootsie Roll and clean noble hop aroma mix. Immediately noticed none of the old aromas I used to find and dislike about this brew.

The color was a beautiful Marzen deep caramel hue that fits the style perfectly. Enough said on with the flavor.

It starts out with a nice prickly carbonation that tingles the tongue in a good way and then quickly shifts to a beautiful harmony of sweet ( but not cloying at all ) caramel malts and a spicy noble hop bite that upon swallowing kind of reminds you of a Boston Lager but slightly richer in malt character then the latter. I used to REALLY DISLIKE this beers overly rich and earthy maltiness and ZERO hops to balance it out. It used to have a very dark coconutty flavor that was not really toasty but just plain Blah !!! . This years batch is balanced, refreshing and just sooo easy to drink, that how I like my O - Fests. One of my favourites is Paulaner and this is much closer in terms of mouthfeel and drinkability to some of it's German counterparts. They definitely improved and tweaked this year's batch BIG TIME. Now it's a true drinkable fest beer that used to suffer from a way to deep and dark maltiness with zero balance.

If your an O - Fest fan like myself you should for sure pick up a sixer this year. I think you will agree that the flavor and drinkability are up a few notches from years past.

One of my favorite beers. When September rolls around I am going from store to store waiting for it to hit shelves. This beer is perfect for almost any time, drinking sitting on the porch in the cool air or enjoyig a slice of pizza with a nice glass at your plate's side.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice amber/brown with gold edging.
Smells of caramel, grain and fresh earth.
Taste is light caramel, bit of chocolate, with a very balanced hop presence.
Smooth, creamy mouthfeel, but just a tad too thin for me.
Could drink it all day. Good, easy drinking beer, even on a hot August day.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

Fall and winter are my favorite for beer drinking and I love Sam Adams seasonal brews. I already have stocked up on the 12 oz Octoberfest bottles. I was at my local Chili's and they had the Samuel Adams Octoberfest on-tap. Let me say this beer on-tap is fantastic.

Color: Was a nice copper color with a nice one inch head.

Smell: The smell was of malt and caramel scents are picked up.

Taste: Very smooth malt flavors of caramel, bread, and something sweet with just a tad of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Was full of body and with a clean taste.

Drinkability: I had two of these that night and could have went for more. A very good beer to drink.

4.12/5  rDev +12.6%

A - Amber with a slight dark hue with a head thats promising at first but dissipates rather quickly...

S - caramel and hazelnut are the main distinguishing smells.

T - tastes of malt, roasted and dry, with a fruitiness to it.

M - not too heavy and smooth with a light carbonation...

O - Despite having an Octoberfest in February, I can safely say that Im enjoying it. A cold night beer. I was expecting a heavier taste and mouthfeel but it has a nice balance of both to make it enjoyable. The foamy head was kinda dissapointing but the flavor really makes up for it and Im relieved when I get closer to the bottom of the glass...It could be old to which that might be why the head looses its body early but that really doesnt matter at this point. Overall, I like it and will having more in the near future, regardless of month.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Had this beer many times, thought I'd review it.

Pours into a pint glass with a rich smell of caramel, malts, hops, very light roasts, tiny bit of fruit. Forms into a dark copper/burnt-orange color and poured with a full head.

I can definitely taste more malts than hops, the sweetness isn't that disrupting, but it makes it's presence. A little nutty flavor added to the finish, goes down smooth. I'm not surprised by the high alcohol content than that of Sam Adams Boston Lager, comparatively, but it definitely is full bodied and very flavorful. It's a very drinkable beer, contributed by the character malts - almost like a glaze to the beer.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

A > Really nice Amber with some lighter orange i swear. Nice stubby head cream colored

S> Not a heck of a smell until to put it in your mouth

T > Very nice taste lots of fall flavor. Light notes of cinnamon some citric..but those are really light

M > Awesome clean drink slight linger but doesnt foul like some other Sam does

O > Awesome beer, easy drinking and great flavor. I look forward to it every year. The only Sam i really like.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a dimple mug pint glass. Beautiful perfectly clear orange/reddish body fills the glass, topped with a thick khaki colored head. Head slowly falls back into beer, leaving a think covering over beer, light lacing. Nice looking pint.

Smell is of light malts, some fruity esters, gentle hops, and a thin, watery grain flavor lingering in the background. Overall, very simple.

Taste is surprising balanced as the beer hits the palate: gentle roasted malts intermingle with plenty of maltiness and some rich grape/raisin flavors, balanced out nicely with some spicy hops. Rich carbonation guides the beer down a leaves a nice tingling, sweet malts and some spicy hop notes creep through on the finish and linger for a second. As those fade out, a thin/watery grain profile comes through, somewhat similar to corn/rice? What? Definitly don't remember this in previous years brews.

Mouthfeel is very nice, actually. Body is nice and thick, almost sticky/creamy that is balanced out nicely by a good amount of carbonation that lets the brew roll around the mouth.

Drinkability is nice, a great tasting beer that is widely available. Very easy to put back.

This is my favorite seasonal beer from SA, and is a close second overall from what they have to offer (after the cream stout). I have noticed it getting better from year to year and it is definitly good this time around - the only thing that is surprising to me is the watery corn/rice profile that seems to be hiding in the back of the beer. Am I the only one noticing this, or is it just a thin malt base?

Overall, great, easy to find, and decently priced. I'll definitly be picking up some more of this!

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

I tried this at dinner tonight at Ruby Tuesday's on draft. I asked for a Dog Fish Head 60 Minute IPA but the waiter soon came back and told me they were out so I went with this. I have had it in a bottle before but never of tap. On tap was much better. The beer came a nice orange color. By the time it made it to the table whatever head there was was gone. The smell was sweet with some grain. The taste was pleasant with nuts and spice. A lot better on tap. A good seasonal!

3.59/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured out of a 22oz bottle into tall pilsner glass.

Apperance: Clear copper coloring. Siimilar to but lighter than Yuengling.
Smell: Not a lot to speak of. .
Taste: Sweet, rich malty flavor. Finishes with a nice bitterness to compliment the malt. A little unbalanced on the sweet side, but I imagine that is what they were aiming at.
Moutfeel: Appropriately fizzy and bubbly, what I'd expect.

Overall: Glad I picked this one up. It's still 80 degrees in SC on a Sat afternoon, but I imagine that a 6 pack of this would be perfect on a chilly night. Will definitely have to pick back up and try again later.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A: pours a clear, clean amber with orange-ish hue.

S: out of bottle I got an initial musky scent, but that decreased as I drank. otherwise plenty of malt and caramel.

T: Initially hit with malty-bready taste that leaves a sweet aftertaste.

M/D: fairly pleasant in texture and well carbonated for the style. easy drinking Oktoberfest beer...not the best, but one of the better ones.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)