Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States | website

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,104 | Ratings: 7,282
2.88/5  rDev -21.3%

After all the hype surrounding this beer, I was sorely disappointed when I got to try it at Oktoberfest Zinzinnati. I found this beer to be a very average beer and was left wondering why there was so many forum posts lauding this as the best Oktoberfest beer. Other then the color of the beer, nothing else about it would make me believe this was an Oktoberfest style beer, and I would be more apt to call it a generic dark beer. Color was a medium to dark brown with a thin head. I found the beer to seem somewhat watery and very light in terms of mouthfeel. Aroma had mild hops, and the flavor was much the same. All in all, a pretty average brew that doesn't live up to the hype. I regret to say, this was the worst beer I had at the Oktoberfest but was the one I was really looking forward to trying. It was 'OK', but nothing I would go out and buy to stock my fridge with.

Crystal clear copper, thin tan head that fades to lace.

Subtle malty aroma, no real hops noticeable. Some fruitiness, but very faint.

Taste is pleasantly sweet and malty. No hoppiness. Clean finish.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied, faintly carbed, clean and dry.

Very, very drinkable. I drank half a case of this this weekend. Not a terrific Oktoberfest, but certainly drinkable, and inexpensive.

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a clear copper amber color with a moderate off-white head that has a nice retention. Nose is sweet with notes of toasted malts. Taste is also on the sweet side but without much depth. There are some fainter biscuity notes later in the taste, but it comes across too thinly. I’ll pass—there are many superior Oktoberfests to be had.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

A brillant copper/reddish color. The malt stands out in the aroma and pretty much dominates the scent through out each smell. The flavor, the malt is very evident, with a slight twinge of bitterness from the hops, which leaves the palate nice and dry. The feel is like an oxymoron, thick water is the best way to describe the feel. Fairly easy to drink, but the lack of hop flavor doesn't seem to balance the flavor out.

3.32/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Poured a beautiful and clear copper - I wish I could brew my homebrew to be this gorgeous a color and sheen.
S - A very small hint of nutmeg and other spices with biscuit malt.
T - Tasted very light with a malty sweetness with a crisp, dry finish. This was very simple and seemed to be lightened compared to other offerings I have had so far this year.
M - The mouthfeel was clean and dry with no cloying aftertaste.
D - I could probably drink 12 of these in a marathon session without a problem.
This is a great crossover-fest and a nice session beer for Autumn.

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

Appearence--Crisp deep amber color, 2cm. of off white head.

Smell--carmely malts, not very strong though

Taste/Mouthfeel--Nice strong malty flavors, not too sweet. Good body and nice carbonation. Overall, I really like the taste of this beer.

Drinkability--I thoroughly enjoy drinking this one.

Notes--maybe not the best Oktoberfest around, but it's always solid and usually available come September.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Finally decided to get this one, and I'm glad I did. Pours a hazy orangei-sh brown hue with respectable head and a little lacing. The aroma is molasses, cinnamon, a little clove, and unfortunately a decent bit of alcohol. The flavor is decently rich with more molasses and cinnamon. It's sweet but not as much as I was expecting. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is too thin and lacks any noticeable carbonation. Drinkability is pretty high. This is a fine O-Fest and I would reccomend it. Underrated in my opinion.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

With fall on the way and summer coming close to an end some of my favorite seasonals begin to emerge. With the weather cooling down Octoberfests and Pumpkin Ales begin to become more and more appealing. I thought that I'd give this beer another try and in turn review it again, now that my appreciation and taste for beer has grown.

The color of this beer is a beautiful crystal clear copper. Kind of like the color of some of the Autumn Leaves that drift by my window. Although the leaves are still green now, the color of this beer reminds me of those falling leaves. Head starts off at two fingers, somewhat off white and creamy in appearance. Lacing is fair. Head retention is somwhat poor. The head slowly decreases in size.

Aroma of this beer is also quite good. It is very potent, as soon as the bottle was opened the boquet of aroma hit me in the face. There's not that many beers that I've had where the aroma is that strong and appealing. It seems that more often than not one has to try to find the aroma, searching for it. Not so with this beer. To the nose it is malty sweet smelling of caramel and a hint of spicy noble hop character.

This beer in my opinion is definitely better on the colder side. The flavors just seem to come out better. Noticeable in the flavor are caramaly and some spicy herbal characteristics. Bittering hops do a nice job of balancing the brew out, keeping the malty and caramel flavors in check.

This beer is smooth and well rounded. It goes down easy and is very drinkable. Its got a medium body although it seems a bit thin. Carbonation is in check, appropriate for the style. This would make for a good session beer were the alcohol a bit lower. A good beer to drink once a year, but with so many others out there of the same style with the same limitability it seems unlikely that I'll buy this beer again this season.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

To celebrate the Fall, A and I decided to try a bunch of Oktoberfest beers. Being from Boston its only natural to try Sam Adams, althouh I am not sure if this is brewed in JP or the mid-west, but I digress. The appearance is dark golden color, and the smell is a nice malty fragrance. The taste is a bit astringent, not sure why. The puckery feel kinda overwhelms whatever maltiness the brewer was trying to convey. While not a bad beer, its not quite what I was expecting, and its not
something I will get on a regular basis. I will try again, just to make sure it was not the batch. I also notice the recipe is tweaked from year to year, so I will try again in the future.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a brilliant clear orange with a thin lid of slightly yellowish head. Sweet, cool smell of malted milk balls... SO malty. Initial taste is crisp and bitey, slight carbonation tingle resolving to a mild bitterness blended nicely with a substantial, but dry, maltiness. I think that's key to good Oktoberfest beers -- big malt flavor without cloying sweetness. I could definitely have a few of these.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a varietal of beer that I have yet to delve into very deeply, so this is based on narrow experience. I poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall, strait Sam Adams glass. The color was beatiful burnt orange and brown, fits perfectly with the season. The head was thing and off white, and disappeared fairly quickly. The nose was of biscut, no descernable hops (as I assume is how this should go). Taste was simple, and enjoyable. Sweet and smooth, with a mouthfeel slightly lighter than I'd like, although not far enough off as for me to use "watery" to describe it. The finish is warm and smooth.

This beer fits the season and is extremely drinkable. Even better: its available almost anywhere you'll find burr, so its something you can enjoy without any searching.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

I've tried a bunch of different Octoberfests now including Spaten, Beck's, Paulaner, Hacker Pschorr, and Samuel Adams. The Americanized Samuel Adams one was a decent one. It wasn't the best I've had but I would recomend it. I first took a few sips directly from the bottle like I usually do then I took in the aroma directly from the bottle. I then poured it into a Samuel Adams glass that I own. The color was a deep amber copper. I liked that. The taste was a mild toffe and caramel with a smooth finish. It wasn't overly sweet or overpowering. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as flavorful as say the Black Lager or the Cherry Wheat. It is a good beverage for a cool autumn day however.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

A nice example of a nice style, pours a nice coppery amber hue with a quickly dimishing tannish white head. A nice maly taste with biscuity caramel overtones. A widely available beer which usually finds its way to my refridgerator this time of year. A safe bet, not extreme by any means. Yet it gets the job done. Another example of Boston Brewing Companies ability to produce solid offerings for each season of the year.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Is it that time already??!!

Reviewing the 2006 Edition of Samuel Adams Octoberfest. I swear this beer gets sweeter and less hoppy every year. Can anyone confirm this, or is it a matter of changing tastebuds?

Poured with deep copper color with a minimal tan head. There was pretty decent lacing...more than I expected, and it stuck around for the duration of the beer.

Smell is all sweet, with caramel and toasted malts being the dominant smells. It definitely smells like an American style fall beer. In the mouth, this felt a bit watery, and there was a pretty strong tingle from the carbnoation.

Tastewise, this is pretty indicitive of the style. Lots of sweetness, with just enough hop to keep you drinking. There is a noticably buttery flavor aside from the usual sources of sweetness, and a slightly dry aftertaste with an almost veggy like flavor throughout. Not sure if I'd have more than 2-3 of these because of the sweetness. Personally, I'd like a bit mroe hop action on the back end, but maybe that's just not the style. I hope I'm not losing my taste for Oktoberfests. Still, another fine effort from Sam Adams. I'd never shy away from it.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear copper color , with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. Aroma is mildly sweet and toasty , some light caramel , and a bit of noble hop tinge. Taste is slightly roasty , sweet , tad bit of spice and balancing hop. Mouthfeel is medium. A verydrinkable marzen , pretty good and definatly worth a try.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle a clear dark amber with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a fine layer with lacing.

The smell was pretty delicate but I did note some malt sweetness.

The taste has notes of caramel maltiness, some grain and there's a hoppy bitterness near and through the finish. Not a bad brew at all and worth trying for sure.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

A deep amber color with a large fluffy white head. Excellent carbonation, and some trails of lacing. Smell is spot on for an Oktober. Stale malts, and a hint of hops. Taste is different. Sweet caramel malt backbone upfront, with almost a vegetable-like bready undertone. Flavor is pretty one dimensonal, and bland. Noble hops sweep in towards the end, providing a small amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is crisp. Drinkability is average.

This is an average Oktoberfest. I recommend you try one at least once.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Had a couple a pints of these on tap at "Quench" a restaurant and martini bar in Waterbury, CT. The look and smell were typical; the beer tasted fresh, however, and there were distinct cramel-brown notes with a chewy middle and a dry finish. There wasn't much bittering going on, but there was some sflavor hop which contributed to the smokey overall non-sweetness. This one would be better to drink solo than to pair with food, I had the grilled pork chops with mushrooms and gorgonzola, with angel hair and anchovies; the meal was fantastic, but I kept going back to the glass of water instead of the Sam's octoberfest/

2.49/5  rDev -32%

I tried this beer at barbecue restaurant in midtown that just put it on draft and was very excited. Unfortunately I was unimpressed. It has a nice dark amber color but the aroma was bland. The taste wasn't bad but it also wasn't special at all or what I was expecting. Therer was no extra matliness or hoppiness. It was as if they took regular Sam Adams and put carmel coloring in it. It's an extremely drinkable beer and it goes down easy. A good everyday beer but definetely not a specialty beer in my opinion.

appearance: The pour produces a 0.5" khaki head that recedes to the standard ring and thin layer. The beer is a rich medium amber in color, reminiscent of the reds and oranges of fall.

smell: Notes of toasted caramel on the nose with a nice, malty sweetness bringing aromas of red apples and dried dates. The light touch of ethanol is quite nice. Low hop aroma.

mouthfeel: The carbonation rides the border between medium and high, and is smooth. The body is medium. Instead of being slick after the swallow, the finish is nice and clean, which I appreciate.

taste: Nice blend of malts give subtle notes of caramel and some woody earthiness. Not as malty as the "Malt Lover's Dream" reverse label would have me believe, though. Not too much depth of flavor here. Light noble hop flavor and a nice, drying bitterness in the finish.

drinkability: An easy drinking, good beer. It's got some characters that bring to mind the fallen leaves associated with fall.

Single bottle purchased at Whole Foods...notched as best by February, which I assume means 2007.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

I have always been a fan of the Sam Seasonals. This particular beer had a great first bite to it. It also helps that it has a high alcohol content, you will be buzzed before you know it. You notice the dark color as soon as you poor into your glass, and the aroma reminds of the fall. Great beer to drink while watching football.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

12oz single, Woodman's - West, enjoyed on NFL opening night

appearance: pours into a great dane imperial pint glass...big clear amber body, pretty dark, creamy beige-tan head with a lot of retention and very nice lacing

smell: toasted malt, carmamel, earthy leaf aroma, light hop presence behind the scenes, apple, wood. Overall pretty faint

taste: Well, It's not mindblowing but its pretty well made and very enjoyable. Bold toasted malt dominates the flavour, very seasonal feel with a twig/leaf thing going on that works out well, roasted nuts, caramel apple, thick malt backed by noble hops. I like it.

mouthfeel: medium-full body, slick but smooth

drinkability: high, good fall seasonal

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

This was a pretty good beer. It most certainly has a "fall" feel. I was pretty disappointed with the mouthfeel, but that might of been becasuse I was keeping my beer to cold. Sam Adams Octoberfest certainly does make you wish that certain seasonal brews were around all year.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep amber color with a one finger width off white head that settles down to a film. Smells very malty (apparently four malts are used). The taste is very malty with some complexity and some hops in the backgrouend. The flavor is very rich and fulfilling. The mouth has nice carbination and the beer seems a little heavy in the mouth. A good and very drinkable Octoberfest beer.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)