Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,123 | Ratings: 7,347
4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from 12 oz bottle.

Appearence--Crisp deep amber color, 2cm. of off white head.

Smell--carmely malts, not very strong though

Taste/Mouthfeel--Nice strong malty flavors, not too sweet. Good body and nice carbonation. Overall, I really like the taste of this beer.

Drinkability--I thoroughly enjoy drinking this one.

Notes--maybe not the best Oktoberfest around, but it's always solid and usually available come September.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Finally decided to get this one, and I'm glad I did. Pours a hazy orangei-sh brown hue with respectable head and a little lacing. The aroma is molasses, cinnamon, a little clove, and unfortunately a decent bit of alcohol. The flavor is decently rich with more molasses and cinnamon. It's sweet but not as much as I was expecting. Very well balanced. Mouthfeel is too thin and lacks any noticeable carbonation. Drinkability is pretty high. This is a fine O-Fest and I would reccomend it. Underrated in my opinion.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

With fall on the way and summer coming close to an end some of my favorite seasonals begin to emerge. With the weather cooling down Octoberfests and Pumpkin Ales begin to become more and more appealing. I thought that I'd give this beer another try and in turn review it again, now that my appreciation and taste for beer has grown.

The color of this beer is a beautiful crystal clear copper. Kind of like the color of some of the Autumn Leaves that drift by my window. Although the leaves are still green now, the color of this beer reminds me of those falling leaves. Head starts off at two fingers, somewhat off white and creamy in appearance. Lacing is fair. Head retention is somwhat poor. The head slowly decreases in size.

Aroma of this beer is also quite good. It is very potent, as soon as the bottle was opened the boquet of aroma hit me in the face. There's not that many beers that I've had where the aroma is that strong and appealing. It seems that more often than not one has to try to find the aroma, searching for it. Not so with this beer. To the nose it is malty sweet smelling of caramel and a hint of spicy noble hop character.

This beer in my opinion is definitely better on the colder side. The flavors just seem to come out better. Noticeable in the flavor are caramaly and some spicy herbal characteristics. Bittering hops do a nice job of balancing the brew out, keeping the malty and caramel flavors in check.

This beer is smooth and well rounded. It goes down easy and is very drinkable. Its got a medium body although it seems a bit thin. Carbonation is in check, appropriate for the style. This would make for a good session beer were the alcohol a bit lower. A good beer to drink once a year, but with so many others out there of the same style with the same limitability it seems unlikely that I'll buy this beer again this season.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%

To celebrate the Fall, A and I decided to try a bunch of Oktoberfest beers. Being from Boston its only natural to try Sam Adams, althouh I am not sure if this is brewed in JP or the mid-west, but I digress. The appearance is dark golden color, and the smell is a nice malty fragrance. The taste is a bit astringent, not sure why. The puckery feel kinda overwhelms whatever maltiness the brewer was trying to convey. While not a bad beer, its not quite what I was expecting, and its not
something I will get on a regular basis. I will try again, just to make sure it was not the batch. I also notice the recipe is tweaked from year to year, so I will try again in the future.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a brilliant clear orange with a thin lid of slightly yellowish head. Sweet, cool smell of malted milk balls... SO malty. Initial taste is crisp and bitey, slight carbonation tingle resolving to a mild bitterness blended nicely with a substantial, but dry, maltiness. I think that's key to good Oktoberfest beers -- big malt flavor without cloying sweetness. I could definitely have a few of these.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a varietal of beer that I have yet to delve into very deeply, so this is based on narrow experience. I poured from a 12oz bottle into a tall, strait Sam Adams glass. The color was beatiful burnt orange and brown, fits perfectly with the season. The head was thing and off white, and disappeared fairly quickly. The nose was of biscut, no descernable hops (as I assume is how this should go). Taste was simple, and enjoyable. Sweet and smooth, with a mouthfeel slightly lighter than I'd like, although not far enough off as for me to use "watery" to describe it. The finish is warm and smooth.

This beer fits the season and is extremely drinkable. Even better: its available almost anywhere you'll find burr, so its something you can enjoy without any searching.

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

I've tried a bunch of different Octoberfests now including Spaten, Beck's, Paulaner, Hacker Pschorr, and Samuel Adams. The Americanized Samuel Adams one was a decent one. It wasn't the best I've had but I would recomend it. I first took a few sips directly from the bottle like I usually do then I took in the aroma directly from the bottle. I then poured it into a Samuel Adams glass that I own. The color was a deep amber copper. I liked that. The taste was a mild toffe and caramel with a smooth finish. It wasn't overly sweet or overpowering. I enjoyed it but it wasn't as flavorful as say the Black Lager or the Cherry Wheat. It is a good beverage for a cool autumn day however.

3.98/5  rDev +8.7%

A nice example of a nice style, pours a nice coppery amber hue with a quickly dimishing tannish white head. A nice maly taste with biscuity caramel overtones. A widely available beer which usually finds its way to my refridgerator this time of year. A safe bet, not extreme by any means. Yet it gets the job done. Another example of Boston Brewing Companies ability to produce solid offerings for each season of the year.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Is it that time already??!!

Reviewing the 2006 Edition of Samuel Adams Octoberfest. I swear this beer gets sweeter and less hoppy every year. Can anyone confirm this, or is it a matter of changing tastebuds?

Poured with deep copper color with a minimal tan head. There was pretty decent lacing...more than I expected, and it stuck around for the duration of the beer.

Smell is all sweet, with caramel and toasted malts being the dominant smells. It definitely smells like an American style fall beer. In the mouth, this felt a bit watery, and there was a pretty strong tingle from the carbnoation.

Tastewise, this is pretty indicitive of the style. Lots of sweetness, with just enough hop to keep you drinking. There is a noticably buttery flavor aside from the usual sources of sweetness, and a slightly dry aftertaste with an almost veggy like flavor throughout. Not sure if I'd have more than 2-3 of these because of the sweetness. Personally, I'd like a bit mroe hop action on the back end, but maybe that's just not the style. I hope I'm not losing my taste for Oktoberfests. Still, another fine effort from Sam Adams. I'd never shy away from it.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured a clear copper color , with a finger of head that dissipated quickly. Aroma is mildly sweet and toasty , some light caramel , and a bit of noble hop tinge. Taste is slightly roasty , sweet , tad bit of spice and balancing hop. Mouthfeel is medium. A verydrinkable marzen , pretty good and definatly worth a try.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle a clear dark amber with a medium sized head of foam that dissipated fairly slowly leaving a fine layer with lacing.

The smell was pretty delicate but I did note some malt sweetness.

The taste has notes of caramel maltiness, some grain and there's a hoppy bitterness near and through the finish. Not a bad brew at all and worth trying for sure.

3.56/5  rDev -2.7%

A deep amber color with a large fluffy white head. Excellent carbonation, and some trails of lacing. Smell is spot on for an Oktober. Stale malts, and a hint of hops. Taste is different. Sweet caramel malt backbone upfront, with almost a vegetable-like bready undertone. Flavor is pretty one dimensonal, and bland. Noble hops sweep in towards the end, providing a small amount of bitterness. Mouthfeel is crisp. Drinkability is average.

This is an average Oktoberfest. I recommend you try one at least once.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Had a couple a pints of these on tap at "Quench" a restaurant and martini bar in Waterbury, CT. The look and smell were typical; the beer tasted fresh, however, and there were distinct cramel-brown notes with a chewy middle and a dry finish. There wasn't much bittering going on, but there was some sflavor hop which contributed to the smokey overall non-sweetness. This one would be better to drink solo than to pair with food, I had the grilled pork chops with mushrooms and gorgonzola, with angel hair and anchovies; the meal was fantastic, but I kept going back to the glass of water instead of the Sam's octoberfest/

2.49/5  rDev -32%

I tried this beer at barbecue restaurant in midtown that just put it on draft and was very excited. Unfortunately I was unimpressed. It has a nice dark amber color but the aroma was bland. The taste wasn't bad but it also wasn't special at all or what I was expecting. Therer was no extra matliness or hoppiness. It was as if they took regular Sam Adams and put carmel coloring in it. It's an extremely drinkable beer and it goes down easy. A good everyday beer but definetely not a specialty beer in my opinion.

appearance: The pour produces a 0.5" khaki head that recedes to the standard ring and thin layer. The beer is a rich medium amber in color, reminiscent of the reds and oranges of fall.

smell: Notes of toasted caramel on the nose with a nice, malty sweetness bringing aromas of red apples and dried dates. The light touch of ethanol is quite nice. Low hop aroma.

mouthfeel: The carbonation rides the border between medium and high, and is smooth. The body is medium. Instead of being slick after the swallow, the finish is nice and clean, which I appreciate.

taste: Nice blend of malts give subtle notes of caramel and some woody earthiness. Not as malty as the "Malt Lover's Dream" reverse label would have me believe, though. Not too much depth of flavor here. Light noble hop flavor and a nice, drying bitterness in the finish.

drinkability: An easy drinking, good beer. It's got some characters that bring to mind the fallen leaves associated with fall.

Single bottle purchased at Whole Foods...notched as best by February, which I assume means 2007.

4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

I have always been a fan of the Sam Seasonals. This particular beer had a great first bite to it. It also helps that it has a high alcohol content, you will be buzzed before you know it. You notice the dark color as soon as you poor into your glass, and the aroma reminds of the fall. Great beer to drink while watching football.

3.88/5  rDev +6%

12oz single, Woodman's - West, enjoyed on NFL opening night

appearance: pours into a great dane imperial pint glass...big clear amber body, pretty dark, creamy beige-tan head with a lot of retention and very nice lacing

smell: toasted malt, carmamel, earthy leaf aroma, light hop presence behind the scenes, apple, wood. Overall pretty faint

taste: Well, It's not mindblowing but its pretty well made and very enjoyable. Bold toasted malt dominates the flavour, very seasonal feel with a twig/leaf thing going on that works out well, roasted nuts, caramel apple, thick malt backed by noble hops. I like it.

mouthfeel: medium-full body, slick but smooth

drinkability: high, good fall seasonal

3.91/5  rDev +6.8%

This was a pretty good beer. It most certainly has a "fall" feel. I was pretty disappointed with the mouthfeel, but that might of been becasuse I was keeping my beer to cold. Sam Adams Octoberfest certainly does make you wish that certain seasonal brews were around all year.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a deep amber color with a one finger width off white head that settles down to a film. Smells very malty (apparently four malts are used). The taste is very malty with some complexity and some hops in the backgrouend. The flavor is very rich and fulfilling. The mouth has nice carbination and the beer seems a little heavy in the mouth. A good and very drinkable Octoberfest beer.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks like the leaves that are about to fall, or those that have possible prematurely fallen from all the hurricane winds lately. A lighter-to-darker (depending on the light) orange amber color. Slightly off-white head leaves some nice lacing around the glass.

Smell: Sweet caramel sweetness and slightly roasted malt, some maple and slight vanilla. Also some breadiness is there too.

Taste: A nice balance of malt sweetness, some buttery flavors and caramel, and a tad bit of roastiness. Some bread-like notes and slight nuttiness. Finishes slightly sweet, with some caramel flavors on the tongue.

Mouthfeel: Fairly full without being undercarbonated, with a good full burst of carbonation at the end.

Drinkability: One of the better domestics in my opinion, and I'll usually grab at least a couple six packs once the season comes. This may be too sweet with not enough hops for some folks, but I think it comes with the season, and I can easily make a session out of this.

3.36/5  rDev -8.2%

Sam Adams Octoberfest pours a nice deep orange, quite clear. Smell is sweet and malty, and lighter smelling than I expected. Taste is quite strong sweet maltiness, with a bready flavor. Hops are nonexistant, I guess that goes with the style. Overall a pretty good beer, but I'll probably stick to one six pack this year.

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

2006 edition pours a radiant copper amber body with a small khaki head that retains well and produces some attractive lacing. Aroma is disinctive noble hops and caramel malt. Mouthfeel features spritzy carbonation and a light medium body. Taste is a well balanced blend of toffee and caramel maltiness and noble hop bitterness. Crisp and refreshing. An excellent American Oktoberfest that is tasty and sessionable.

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%

I'm a big fan or fall time spiced beers, but the 2 bottles had last night didn't do alot for me. It poured a gorgeous amber color and had a nice frothy head for a few minutes, but my particular beer had an overwhelming pumpkin scent. I like pumpkin smelling beer, but this smelled a little too pumpkin-earthy for me - it almost smelled like bad pumpkins (after Halloween and stinky).

It was decent, but I won't be running to pick up another six pack. At best, I would consider it "avergage", but I was a little disappointed overall.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2/7/07 freshness date

A: Pours a reddish amber with a fizzy head that quickly disappears. Lacing quickly slides down the glass after each sip.

S: Sort of a dirty musty malt aroma.

T: Malty and sweet with flavors of cereal grains and honey.

M: Light-medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

D: This gets the same reaction as most other brews from SA. Decent and definitely drinkable, but hardly as good as other craft brewers that produce on a smaller scale. Cheap, and easily accessible, but not noteworthy.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

12 oz bottle, best before February, poured into a pint glass

A—pours clear brownish red with a ¾ inch off white fluffy head that slowly sputters down to a thin sheet, laces in thick rings…almost like stripes

S—caramel and holiday spices, sweet with a little sour twang that comes out

T—very well balanced…I was expecting it to be more sweet than it is, caramel is present, but not to dominate. The autumn spices are in there, too. It got a little bland toward the end

M—smooth, but a drier finish, medium bodied, good carbonation

D—not bad at all, glad I tried it and I will enjoy the rest of the 6er. I do, however, prefer a sweeter oktoberfest brew.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)