Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest
3.67/5
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Ratings: 7,602 |  Reviews: 2,183
1.58/5  rDev -56.9%

Living in the Pacific NW and in the mood for a seasonal spirit to drink during Monday Night Football after a long day of work on this particularly blustery October night.

Disclaimer, I never buy Sam Adams, been drinking beer for about 6 years I've had and enjoy pretty much everything. The reason is simple. I like to buy local and living in Pac NW, this might as well just be puddle water.

S: Bottled, pour into a glass, no head
A: Beautiful copper tone
S: None, maybe I'm plugged up
Taste: Now here is where I have issue, there is none, a mild malt flavor and where are the spices as advertised?
M: Not creamy, not dry, not anything unfortunately, slightly sweet

Overall: The reason I haven't bought Sam Adams in all my beer drinking years is mostly pride. I think they are trying to mass market a craft product, because you know, all beer makers have a beard and love their job enthusiastically. Let this be another great East coast example of commercialization. I'm sure all you Chowd's over there love drinking this stuff... during the humid summer's maybe. Come on over to Portland and you will learn what craft beer is all about because this is a complete farce.

2.25/5  rDev -38.7%

4.08/5  rDev +11.2%

Orange with a light tan head in a Sam Adams super-special glass. It is a pretty beer. I especially like how tightly packed the head is.

Smells faintly of hops and of malt. It's all faint, but nice. It smells like it will be smooth.

And boom goes the dynamite. This is a really smooth and mellow beer. Its slightly bitter from the first, but it mellows out as it coats the mouth.

Mouthfeel, as usual for Sam, is excellent. It's creamy and full-bodied with a pleasant aftertaste and nothing harsh. The carbonation is so perfect, it almost feels like a nitro draft.

I'm very happy with this. It may be passe at this point to sing the praises of the Boston Brewing Company, but I'm going to do it anyway: this is one of the beat Oktoberfests I've ever had.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Color is med. brown (like iced tea). The tan head is moderate and dissipates quickly. The lacing is nice at first but once the head is gone, that's it. Decent carbonation.

Smell: Not much smell. Nutty perhaps.

Taste: Not real strong but several flavors hard to describe. Raisins and nuts. Bready maybe. Enough hops to balance the sweetness but not noticeable in the taste.

Mouthfeel: Watery, lack of carbonation.

Overall: Easy to drink, good thirst quencher with a decent flavor. It's a quality beer that doesn't do much for me. I wish it was more flavorful. It's definately better than average though.

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 ounce bottle acquired via the Fall Harvest Variety Pack, poured into a standard nonic.

A: Surprisingly dark orange/amber hue for a lager. Very translucent. A moderate white head on top that dissipated quickly. Carbonation readily visible.

S: Caramel malt. Toffee and bready notes, with a touch of barley sweetness. All at a moderate level.

T: Taste follows the nose. Caramel malt is outspoken here. A breadiness and lingering sweetness arrive somewhere near the midpoint and last to the finish.

M: Relatively light, but with considerably more heft than most others I've had within this style. Carbonation is exceptional.

D/O: The caramel malt really does it for me here. Perhaps my favorite example of a style that, by-and-large, I find to run too-thin-and-overly-sweet. The caramel/amber malt gives it some heft, and there may even be a touch of hops on the back end, even if it's just slightly. Far from my favorite Sam Adams offering, but my-to if/when celebrating Oktoberfest.

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.67 out of 5 with 7,602 ratings