Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest
3.67/5
Good
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Ratings: 7,674 |  Reviews: 2,194
2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%

3.91/5  rDev +6.5%

Enjoyed from a Sam Adams glass.

Appearance: Clear, dark amber. Very seasonal. A thick foam head sinks to a creamy haze over the top.

Smell: Mild and malty.

Taste: The malt really drives the flavor of this beer. Faint hints of toasted nuts (I do mean faint). Takes a slight turn towards the sweet side after it goes down the throat. Nothing overwhelming, pleasant aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. They got the carbonation right on this one. Smooth, yet a bubbly texture is defined.

Overall: I am a huge fan of Marzen beers. Sam Adams really gets this right. Comparing this to its competitors... Sam Adams takes the gold in my opinion. There are more complex and, well, I guess you could call them better beers in this style but when all else fails, this one is great.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

2.5/5  rDev -31.9%

3.55/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear, dark, amber color. It looks like fall, as Jim Koch himself says. It initially has about a two finger head, but it goes down fairly quickly leaving a creamy film on top. Pretty nice.

Smell: Incredibly faint. Malt and and a tinge of spice maybe, but it's hard to detect much from Octoberfest.

Taste/Feel: Heavy on the malt, and I love it. There's also the light spice that I get in the aroma, but it's really just a lot of malt. The carbonation is pretty low, but the feel is pretty good. A light/medium body and it makes this beer actually pretty refreshing.

Just the look of the bottle with the taste feels nostalgic to me, even though this is the very first time I've had Sam Adams Octoberfest. It just makes me feel good, for whatever reason. It's not the best beer in the world, but it's about what you'd expect from Sam Adams, maybe a little bit better. The only other seasonal I've had from them is their Summer Ale, and this is MUCH better than that. I enjoy it.

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%

4.68/5  rDev +27.5%

Everyone I know knows that I am a huge nerd for Sam Adams beer and an even bigger one for their Octoberfest. I wait for it every year and jump up and down like a schoolgirl seeing Justin Beiber when I see the first case in the store. It's like finding a super rare card in a back of baseball cards when I find my first SA Octoberfest.

That all being said, I am going to try, TRY to rate this objectively.

When poured it has an absolutely stunning deep orange/red color into the traditional Sam Adams glass. Decent head, even if it is gone too quickly and good lacing on the glass. The dry notes in the back are a perfect counter to the malt taste in the front and the spice in the middle. Aroma is mild but not to the point of non-existence, and the bouquet of fall season comes out the more the beer is sloshed around in the glass. A wonderful flowery note on the top of the aroma. The carbonation is high, but the beer is pretty full bodied so it doesn't make the beer too soda-y. I have had a ton of Octoberfests over the last few years, and yet every year this is the one that defines the season for me. A wonderful, wonderful beer.

Photo of
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

You had this beer. Write a review.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Beer rating: 3.67 out of 5 with 7,674 ratings