Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,128 | Ratings: 7,378
4.38/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a brew I really look forward to enjoying while it's in season. though I have tasted this product in years preceding, this years (2009) variation is especially excellent!
Beautiful and abundant creamy malts brimming with hints of marshmallow and nougat and a touch of hop character to keep it honest. Deep amber in color and always rewarding you with the perfect mocha colored head along with generous lacing.
Though most stores are sold out by this time of the year, (mid-November) there is a small "ethnic" store a few towns away that has an ample cache of this stuff. Needless to say, each time I "SCHHWINGGG" through, I pick up a sixer'.. I think they should have enough to last for me till the "drink before" date in March...
And No.... I aint' tellin" ;-)

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

A: Poured from bottle to glass, a beautiful dark reddish brown, with two fingers of beautiful cream/off white head.

S: Malt, and lots of it, there are some subtle herb, or hop aromas in the background

T: Sweet upfront, then a bit toffee and biscuit flavor, and finally a bit of hop bitterness to close it out nicely.

M: A nice medium body, not over the top and too heavy, but far from light, so yeah I'll say medium body.

O: I love this beer, it's big a malty brew, with just enough hops to balance it all out. It's no wonder Sam Adams has been producing this every year since 1989.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

This beer should be sold year round, but I do enjoy the treat during the autumn. Its limited availability is part of why this beer remains a hot commodity. My initial pour developed a medium-sized head. It was a light tan, but it dissipated quickly and did not leave any lacing on the glass. I was disappointed with that aspect of the beverage. The color however, was awesome. A slightly burnt amber represents the season very well and it was a beautiful welcome to the beverage.

The aroma was good, possibly because I knew what to expect. If I tried to be objective, the smell is not great, but still good. Octoberfest is lightly carbonated, producing a good mouthfeel, but it was not as smooth as it could have been. While drinking the beer, it is difficult to tell the alcohol content, but after a couple of glasses, it become prevalent. This is one of my favorite beers and I am sad to see its season come to an end.

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

Underrated, as all Sam Adams beers are on BA, success breeds contempt. Deep, copper/orange, thick head which dissipated too quickly, had to ding it for that, malty, malty, malty, light on the hops, but just enough to keep the sweetness at bay,once again SA succeeds in creating great beer when a taste that is accessible to many, not by compromising, but with SUBTLETY, remember that word? smooth, full mouthfeel, beautiful lacing as I finished. A sweeter, less hopped Boston lager if I may simplify. A winner.

4.37/5  rDev +19.4%

poured into a standard pint glass...

appears ruby red..nice cream colored head, good lacing..

smell is quite nice..malty, sweet,bready.subtle hop aroma...very appealing..

taste is..sweet..malty sweet..gentle hop flavor..slight bitter finish..smooth(hey it is a lager)

mouthfeel is great..smooth like the style..light to medium body..very appealing and drinkable..

I must admit..I am biased to this particular brew..it has been one of my favorites for many years..I have had alot of martzens..this is one of my favorite..

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This was the second octoberfest beer I have had the pleasure of tasting this season.

Pours into a dark amber color and has a nice head that leaves no lace down the sides of the glass. Has a malty, toffee smell. Goes down very smooth and you can taste the malt and toffee tones. Is a excellent beer to drink on a hot day. Drinkability is awesome and it is easy to drink 4-5 of these at a sitting.

Would highly recommend this beer to anyone. Is not available for very long and is often hard to find. Stock up when you can.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

A > Really nice Amber with some lighter orange i swear. Nice stubby head cream colored

S> Not a heck of a smell until to put it in your mouth

T > Very nice taste lots of fall flavor. Light notes of cinnamon some citric..but those are really light

M > Awesome clean drink slight linger but doesnt foul like some other Sam does

O > Awesome beer, easy drinking and great flavor. I look forward to it every year. The only Sam i really like.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Tried this on-tap tonight at Doc's here in Austin.

I have had this beer many times before in the bottle; and, while it is very good out of a bottle, it's even better on tap. I realize that's nothing new for a lot of beers, but the big difference between the bottle and on-tap for this brew was the mouthfeel. Out of the bottle, it sometimes tastes a bit thin. On-tap, this brew is absolutely perfect as it's substantial, but not overdone. Awesome blend of sweet malty flavors perfectly balanced by just a kiss of hops. A must have on-tap for anybody who likes (or thinks they might like) an O-Fest brew.

12oz bottle into my excuse for a stein. Best by Feb 2009, so this is fresh

A: Copper colored pour with a massive two-finger thick beige head. Tons of visible carbonation

S: Bready and mildly spicy with a hint of hops; mildly citrus like. Solid!

T: Starts off rich and malty with wonderful caramel sweetness to go with the bready character. There's a hint of a pepper-like spice that, while uncommon for style, works really well here. The finish is dry and very tasty

M: Light -to- medium in body with excellent carbonation and a great finish, this one's great

D: This is definitely one of my favorites. Well done, Jim Koch!

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Poured from a Bottle a 1/2 Inch head that goes to a small head quickly. Nice Copper color. Smells of Bread and malts and a little caramel sweetness.
Taste is wonderful flavor of Bread Malt and Nuts. A Very refreshing taste that calls for more!It is very nice in your mouth kind of creamy a little sweet with a nice Hop Balance.
This one is a Home Run October beer really Good I shall remember this one each October to revisit.
This is a Very Drinkable Beer.

Beer its Not Just A Beverage Beer is Food

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Had this beer many times, thought I'd review it.

Pours into a pint glass with a rich smell of caramel, malts, hops, very light roasts, tiny bit of fruit. Forms into a dark copper/burnt-orange color and poured with a full head.

I can definitely taste more malts than hops, the sweetness isn't that disrupting, but it makes it's presence. A little nutty flavor added to the finish, goes down smooth. I'm not surprised by the high alcohol content than that of Sam Adams Boston Lager, comparatively, but it definitely is full bodied and very flavorful. It's a very drinkable beer, contributed by the character malts - almost like a glaze to the beer.

4.34/5  rDev +18.6%

A- Such a great look. Filtered with that light amber Oktoberfest look.

S- To me it has this wonderful toasty smell. it makes me think of fall every time i smell it.

T- not your typical Oktoberfest taste. has a deeper and more drinkable taste.

M- I find this beer to be almost a perfect blend of carbonation. it makes your mouth want more after you swallow it.

D- I could drink this beer year round if i could. Seasonal or not, This beer would be highly drinkable.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Presentation: It was poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: It has a dark amber color with good clarity. The head is light tan in color, creamy and about average in size. It has good retention as it slowly fades to light covering that hangs on until the last sip.

Smell: The aroma is full of all the sweet caramel-like malt that you would expect along with some decent mineral/herbal hops.

Taste/Mouth feel: Its flavor has solid, sweet and bready malt with caramel notes and hints of apple-like fruitiness. Hop flavor comes in and adds a good spicy and herbal presence to the middle and finish. It finishes slowly and has a slick texture with good carbonation and a medium to full body.

Notes: Football, Halloween candy, and sucking down some Sam Adams Octoberfest with my father, these are a few of my favorite things.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Finally found this on a roatating tap at a BBQ place in New Milford. I'd been seeing Brooklyn October rotated in around Fairfield county, and while a good beer, its not the same.

Poured into a cold pint glass. Deep copper ruby color with a hint of white foam, long gone from the original pour.

Smells malty and bready. The beer was very cold, which I find to mute aromas.

Taste is the classic Octoberfest marzen malt. This beer for me defines that taste, at least for American versions. Some breadiness in there, caramel notes, and a restrained hop - all make for a near perfect taste.

Very drinkable, used to drink these by the gallon. Love this beer.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

I normally do not buy Sam Adams beer, however; I decided to buy it because of the Octoberfest beer.

The beer poured very well, a nice foamy head, had a nice smell to it. The color was an awesome amber color beer which looked great in a chilled glass.

There is no overpowering after taste, it's very crisp and palatable.
It's a very drinkable beer that would be great to serve good friends.

I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone wanting a good drinking beer.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

We are fortunate enough to have a fantastic liquor store with an awesome variety of craft beers. Over the years, I have tried many beers from Sam Adams and to me, they all had one familiar taste. HOPS. Don't get me wrong, I like hops, when it's applicable to the style, but it just seems like Sam Adams uses them liberally in most of their beers. The other day I decide to pick up a 6 pack of Octoberfest. Have wanted to try this for some time as Octoberfest/Marzen is one of my favorite if not THE favorite style of beer.

All I can say is WOW. Truly impressed. Now I may be a bit biased on my review being that this particular style sits well with me, but there was nothing out of place with it.

Color. A perfect clear Amber.
Mouthfeel. Not malty, not watery.
Taste. Sweet, but not. Biscuit flavor/smell initially. A subtle sweetness on the backside.

This is a beer, in my opinion, that should appeal to all palates. I WILL be stocking up on this one.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Got this bottle from my brother in law..this was good. Poured the very amber/coppery colored beer aggresively into a mug with a three finger head that was very pillowy, with tight small bubbles that took a little while to receed and left a good sticky lace throught the glass. The smell had notes of caramel and fruits (figs maybe) and a touch of honey. The taste was wonderful this had a mellow fruity, sweet malt taste with just a bite of hops to balance the whole thing out. The mouthfeel was good, perhaps possibly could have used a tad more carbonation but overall excellent. Drinkability...well let's just say I wished I had gotten more than just the one bottle from my brother in law..we'll be having a private Oktoberfest at my house this year and this will be one of the brews on hand

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Appearance: Enjoyed from a bottle in the Sam Adam's perfect pintglass - Poured strong with a thick fluffy white head. The beer shone in a bright rust orange with lively carbonation. Very inviting!

Smell:Sweet toasty malts with a slight metallic hop along with a hint of bread yeast.

Taste:Toasted malt sweetness with a bit of herbal hops on the end. A drying finish leaves your mouth coated with a sweet toffee to bread flavor. Yeast character comes through a bit more as it warms up.

Mouthfeel:Creamy smooth, lively. Medium bodied; perfect for this style.

Drinkability/Palitability:Very high.

Notes:This year, they got it dead on. Perfect balance on the flavor, the mouthfeel had the perfect weight with that creamy head, and the drinkability is through the roof.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured a deep golden orange from the bottle to a glass. Good two finger head.

Smells of sweet malt and caramel with a spicy undertone.

Tastes is very very malty, with the spice undertone right up front then fades to a great sweetness asking you to drink more.

I am a big fan of this brew and could drink it for a week straight.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

The beer is a deep amber color and pour with small white head. The taste is a sweet, malty flavor with small amount of bitterness from the hops. Additionally, there are slight caramel undertones. It has a light body with medium carbonation. The aroma is slightly citrusy. Overall, a very good beer.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Poured from the bottle into a frozen glass beer mug.

Appearance: Sexy dark amber, two fingers of head that didn't stay for long. Faint, distorted lacing.
Smell: Slightly bread-ish, roasted nuts.
Taste: Caramel, chocolate, a faint hint of roasted malt, topped off with a kiss of hops on the back of the tongue.
Mouthfeel: Decent, not too thin. Nice and smooth.
Drinkability: It went down very well, and I enjoyed the hell out of it. This brew was my introduction into Sam Adams seasonals several years ago. And it remains my favorite. This is one of my main reasons to look forward to the fall each year.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

August 30. First time this year I found it at my local packie.

A - Crystal clear deep orange/ amber with a thin compact head that laces the glass finely and slightly.

S - Very mild, some floral hops, sweet malt.

T - Nice balance of toasted grains and sweet florals.

M- Good level of carbonation, Smooth.

D - Very drinkable. A nice transition from Summer to winter.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I haven't had many lagers so I dont know what to compare it too, but I can say it is one of the few I like. It's a very very malty brew - a lot of people say they like it at barbeques and whatnot, but I actually like it when I'm drinking at home watching tv or playing games.

4.33/5  rDev +18.3%

Nice caramel color and not much head. The smell was just overall pleasant. The taste was surprisingly good for what I call a main stream beer.

Yet another beer that I would enjoy drinking with friends at a bar and, or at a get together. Maybe at a poker game also.

4.32/5  rDev +18%

A- Nice dark amber/copper color with decent lacing.

S- Sweetbreads, cinnamon, sweet spice, raisin, light hops. Very malt driven.

T- Nice sweet doughy malt, cinnamon, raisin, apple, all things October.

M- Velvety smooth maltiness.

D- A bit high on ABV, but I'd fest with this, no problem. Definitely will have again.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)