Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,142 | Ratings: 7,416
3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Out of that yung sampler pack

A- Pours a medium brown that leaves relatively little lacing

S- Some malts in there but honestly not much going on.

T- Tiny amount of hops and lots of malts. Rather noncomplex and uninteresting

M- Nice and smooth, best part of the beer

O- Least favorite from the sampler pack. Would not have again

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: A good looking beer with the Autumn colored label, bottle and cap, freshness marked on the label. Clear amber color and off white head.

Smell: This is my first October Fest brew and I have no clue what the style should be like, this seems like a tentative beer, the smell is very mild with just barely a hint of spice.

Taste: Some caramel and a little too much carbonation.

Mouthfeel: Feels like it goes flat pretty fast after having too much carbanation up front. Leaves an aftertaste that to me is neither pleasant nor offensive, it's just there.

Drinkability: A little boring to drink.

Notes: No idea if this is typical of an October Fest beer, I hope not as it was a dull experience.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a copper colored body with an off-white almost tan head. The head is creamy and has a lot of staying power as does the lace. It has a sweet aroma with a little bit of a hoppy fruit smell. It has a roasty malt flavor at first. It is a sweet beer for the most part but there some good hops in the flavor. The mouthfeel is a little chewy with some carbonation.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

When poured into a glass, the color was medium amber in color with a medium amount of foam that disapated in a short time. The smell of roasted malts and a hint of caramel and spices filled the nose with a pleasant aroma. The taste didn't match the aroma. The taste was a little weak in flavor and a little to bitter. There was the roasted barley malts, but that is just about all. I can't find the caramel and just a touch of spice?

This is not one of there better ales. A little disappointed, but, you can't win them all!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- 1/4" tanish white head. Darker amber clear color with maybe a bit of orange to it. Very little lacing, basically none.
S- Malty sweet. Maybe some caramel with some sugar? Light floral hops?
T-Sweeter maltier taste. Not much hop taste at all if any. Bit of caramel or something around that in the taste. Light bitterish aftertaste. Crisp but bit sticky.
M- Thin body. Medium carbonation but on higher side.
D- Doesn't touch the Spaten Oktoberfest. It is alright and is drinkable but doubt I would buy it again.

Poured into a mug.

Brown and clear. Foamy white head. Nice carbonation climbing to the top.

Smells faintly malty and roasty. A hint of hops.

Tastes like an octoberfest. Smooth flavor, sort of sweet, touch of herbal hops.

It's light bodied with appropriate carbonation.

This is an octoberfest. Any typical Marzen gets a B with me. None of them blow me away and I don't think I've ever regretted drinking one.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

I aquired this beer from a co-worker who recieved the Sam Adams Winter variety pack, and well I guess he didn't like it as he gave me most of them.

After drinking several, I admit that most didn't sit well with me, however this one did. I kind of like it.

Appearance ~ I drank it out of a bottle, so I really have no clue. Holding it up to a window, it looks dark, but I can see through it. I'm going to give it a three because I'm too lazy to get up and pour it into a glass.

Smell ~ Hmmmm... come to think of it, this probably isn't a fair review for me either as I have a bit of congestion... It smells sweet, I think of cherries when I sniff.

Taste ~ This is where the OctoberFest excels when compared to the other beers in the variety pack. (note - I said when compared to other beers in the variety pack). The word of caution is because I can't quite decide if I think the taste is above average. I think I sometimes confuse "taste" with "mouthfeel". I'm going to give it a 3.5.

Mouthfeel ~ this I like,it's crisp, but not too crisp, giving it a slight silky smoothness that coats your mouth but rinses out quickly. This I like. 4

Overall ~ for me, this is an above average Sam Adams beer, as I'm typically not a fan of their offerings, but it's not a beer I would go out and purchase. So I got to say it's just average.

Sorry...

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Dark amber with a minimal white foamy head. Very malty, fruity-estery nose. Light on hops. Extremely creamy, but medium-bodied. Taste is malts, malts, and more malts. Finish reminds me of apple peels, and is somewhat crisp. I think this is where the hops come in. Not a bad brew. Overdoes it on the malts I think. Not my favorite Sam Adams, but highly quaffable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours an amber/orange color with a nice 2 finger tight head. Has nice nutty and fruity aromas. Has a strange mouthfeel for an Octoberfest, but the flavor reveals light hops with light caramel on the nose and crisp fruitiness with medicinal aftertaste. Light to medium bodied and is semi-sticky on the tail. More crisp than others of this style. Not too bad, but way below great. Cheers!

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

You can pass on this one. Middle of the road.

A Pours a crystal clear dark amber with a thick, off-white head with only a little bit of lace and retention.

S: Mostly grain, malt, a bit musty and metallic. Otherwise in the right direction.

T: Overwhelmingly malty. Malts are sweet and chewy. Notes of candied raisin, fruitcake, plum cake (not my favorites). Not enough herbal hop spice -- and too little bitterness. Metallic, grain, tin can, mineral flavors. As Alstrom wrote an old steel finish - agree.

F: lots carbonation, thin, a little cloying, not a great food beer or great finish.

O: I would pass, this is safe and unoriginal, with too many off, stale, and metallic notes clutter a thin experience.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Served from bottle into clear glass earlier today.

A Thin head which dissapeared reasonably quickly. Brown, caramel body which is very typical of many Oktoberfests I have had.

S Very malty, moderate smell with some hops detectable. A very smooth smell.

T Malts dominate with some hops (much like the nose).

M Very smooth, moderately full.

D Just fine but nothing that gets me too excited.

Notes: This struck me as a very "safe" brew from Sam Adams but unfortunately for me a little bit boring. On the positive side it is certainly a fair example of an Oktoberfest and anyone buying or drinking this will not be dissapointed there.

3.29/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

This has the potential to be such a good beer, the malt flavor is just amazing. There are notes of a variety grains, caramel sweetness and it just plain tastes like fall; without a bunch of nonsensical spices added in. Unfortunately it is way too weak to actually taste it. If this thing had some body and some decent yeast, October might suddenly be worth celebrating.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

A very light malt aroma noted. Dark copper/orange color in appearance. Very minimual head with moderate bubbles/carbonation, very clear in appearance. Flavor is moderate with a slight bitterness, goes down smooth with no aftertatse. Will drink this every year when it comes out.

The only issue I have with Samuel Adams seasonal beers is the
freshness, or often the lack thereof, and its pronounced effect on the product. Time takes the subtile edge off of these mass market/craft beers, particularly the aromatics and finish. I've had very good ones and poor ones. It is Beer O'Clock on Friday and my draft Octoberfest's appearance is deep and rich in its plain 20oz glass. It has a subdued head, as the draft seems well chilled. It has a smooth and pleasant caramel sweetness that turns slightly tannic bitter in the finish that does not linger. It is not dry. I find it a tad over hopped for the style, a tendency with Sam Adams. The taste flourishes at a cool temperature. Like most Sam Adams I find it to be a solid representation of the style and certainly worth drinking.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

355ml bottle. Best before 2016-07. Poured into wine glass.

A: Clear amber. The head was thin.
S: Mildly toasted bread. Light sweet notes.
T: Mildly malty.
M: Light bodied. Low carbonation.
O: Not impressive. Still prefer the trademark Boston lager.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours an orange-amber color with a quickly dissapating head. What little aroma there is seems to be of toasted malt. The taste is a little more interesting with notes of caramel and a little corn as well. Any flavor at all seems very minimal. Pretty unimpressive O-fest.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Pours a nice copper red with a tannish head that is about inch thick. Lacing is good. The smell is very apple/dark syrup/molasses malts, very sweet smelling, baked apple pie. The taste is sweet, nice molasses sugar sweet with hints of apple. The hops make the beer not overly sweet. Medium bodied and not bad for a beer you can find at the local supermarket.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured amber golden color with a small head. Nice smell with a caramel malty taste. This is a very drinkable Marzen and was a plesant surprise to find at a number of restaurants this past September - November. Even though I like Great Lakes or Old Dominion better I will look for this bear again this September.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Dark amber in color, fresh off the tap. Decent off white head. Aromas--some indistinct spices, lots of malts and some fruits, grapes maybe? Taste is surprisingly sweet. Again, lots of malts in this brew some spices a bit of hops, but mostly this sweet taste and loads of malts. Clean and drinkable, but not spectacular. I'm no expert on this style.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance is caramel orange with a wispy white collar.

Smell is sweet and malty.

Taste is pretty clean, but with a bit of a metallic bite, with a bready finish.

Mouthfeel is slick, medium bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good, nothing special.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

This is a pretty solid beer. I look forward to drinking it the first month of football season. It is very well balanced with kick, but not too overpowering. A great session beer whether it is watching football or playing a card game. However, this is not something I could drink all year round. A great deal if you can get a draft special around late October.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

A nice orange color and very clear. The taste is rich and bettery with malt. The mouthfeel fades quick despite the maltiness. The nose is clean with a slight hint of acorn squash. This is personal favorite to grab once a year just because it feels like it helps usher in the fall. This makes for a nice easy going Oktoberfest brew.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

This is a decent beer from Sam Adams. I would probably never order a SA again, but this was cheap at my local store, so I thought I'd give it a go. The initial head is stupendous - really thick, whipped foam. It gives way fairly soon, but the lacing is dense and even. The color is rich copper, mostly clear with about a 10% haze. I smell cocoa or chocolate milk immediately, with not a lot else Underpinning this is malt, but again little else. The flavor is chewy, sweet, caramel, prune, medium spice and chocolaty malts finishing it off. Mainly true to the style, but the cocoa is a new twist. The mouthfeel suffers from stickiness and tongue goop which repeated sips do not wash down. Drinkability is low. I wouldn't have more than one. Even though it is not bad in any serious way, it just doesn't merit another purchase. I mostly enjoyed it for a one-off taste test.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

One of the best Octoberfest's I've had. Pours with an orange hue. Good carbonation. Taste is good. It is an enjoyable beer for the style. Mouthfeel is average. I enjoy this beer during this time of year. I will buy more next year. I can drink several of these at a sitting. Marzen is not my favorite style of beer but is a good beer and I enjoy drinking it.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottled into a pint glass.

Appearance - Pours with a two-finger light-tan head that is pretty creamy but with some large soapy bubbles on the top. As it dissipates it becomes creamier and decent lacing is left all the way down. It settles at a thin layer of patchy lace on top of the beer. The color is orange-honey and it is very clear. There is little carbonation activity within.

Smell - Slightly fruity hops with some mild bitterness/sourness. Some very slight citrus is just behind the initial hop smell. Some coppery and slightly bready malt aromas in the back. Very little alcohol is detectable.

Taste - Very bread pudding-like malt that is surprisingly rich is tasted right away. Slight bitterness from the hops just behind this, which holds well and peaks just before the finish. Some very slight cherry and plum fruitiness in with the malt flavors. The finish comes in with a slightly-metallic malt character. Finishes with a taste of raw pumpkin, surprisingly. This quickly flashes out, however, and gives way to a fading raw, grainy malt character.

Mouthfeel - Fairly light-bodied (maybe just barely medium-bodied). Has little smoothness. The carbonation is good, but is just a bit too much in my opinion.

Drinkability - The flavors aren't too strong, and the beer has an overall "light" feel to it. Definitely could be a session beer if you dig the flavor.

A decent Oktoberfest-style beer. Its best feature is the rich pudding-like malt character that hits you straight-away. Has good drinkability, but is overall an average beer. Worth a try definitely.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)