Samuel Adams Octoberfest | Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)

good
good
Read the review
Samuel Adams OctoberfestSamuel Adams Octoberfest

Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)
Massachusetts, United States
samueladams.com

Style: Märzen / Oktoberfest

Availability: Fall

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-10-2001

Reviews: 2,142 | Ratings: 7,415
4.67/5  rDev +27.6%

I hate to admit it but when I got these in the other day.....first week of August I was a little disgusted since there's still another month of summer, but I couldn't resist. It's my favorite beer, and although I would have preferred it on tap, I had to have it.

4.67/5  rDev +27.6%

I finally tried a Sama Adams Octoberfest last Thursday, and it looks like a orangish-amber looking color. It has a smell of carmel malt, pumpkin, and molasses. It's low to medium on the APV side, which is very good.

This beer is not real bitter, but it's not real malty either. When drinking it, I tasted the pumpkin, the molasses, and the carmel mix together.

This is one of the many Sam Adams beer that I will drink again.

4.65/5  rDev +27%

This beer pours a golden color with a thick, fluffy slighty tan tinted head. The head goes down slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer boasts a rich and sweet malty caramel aroma. It also has a slightly bready aroma. It has a mildly spicy hop aroma as well, but it is mostly dominated by the malts.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. The malty aroma is a little less prominate in the flavor, but it is still pretty much matching the aroma.

This beer is smooth, and very crisp and refreshing. It leaves a sweet malty aftertaste. It is perfectly carbonated.

This beer would probably make a great session beer. Good, mild flavors, and relatively low alcohol make it a perfect choice.

Overall: I like this beer. Some might say that it is not extreme enough, but I enjoy its subtalty. I always buy this one this time of year.

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Appearance - Reddish copper color, little bit of head and some nice lacing.

Smell - Sweet and toasty malt smell.

Taste - Nice clean taste, sweet malt taste.

Mouthfeel - Sweet, malty, crisp.

Drinkability - I love this beer, it is what Octoberfest is about, good beer. Held on to a few of these from last year.Last one :(

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Smell- sweet, malt aroma

Taste- malty, smooth

Mouth- medium- not too dense, not too light

Overall- excellent overall. One of the beat beers around and one of the best examples of an Octoberfest. I've had several different octoberfest beers and this is the best.

I look forward to it every year.

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Very fresh bottle- just released this week, with a February 2007 date notched on the label. Sampled on 8/17/06 at fridge temperature in a pint glass.

Appearance- Beautiful clear, caramel orange beer that supports a soapy, resilient three finger head. The bubbles pop and fizz slowly down, leaving behind surprisingly good lacing. Looks great.

Smell- Wow... what a drastic improvement over what I remember about last year's version! A big, cookie-like breadiness stands tall and provides a welcome alternative to the usual caramel/Vienna malt notes of this style.

Taste- A remarkable balance of bready, cakey malts and just the right amount of hops come together for a most impressive Octoberfest style beer. It's the perfect marriage of full-bodied, Autumn-like flavors with an incredibly effortless context.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Maybe it's because this just hit the stores... but this beer is dazzling in the mouth. Absolutely perfect carbonation; a long and exquisite length of activity on the tongue... I could drink this all night.

This year's Samuel Adams Octoberfest is outstanding, and without question the best of show for this style I've yet tried.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

Nice red-orange color. Fluffy one-finger head.

Crisp, sweet, malty aroma.

Great flavor. Really complex malt profile. Low bitterness (appropriate). There is a cleanliness to the finish, yet, the malt lingers on the tongue.

Excellent mouthfeel. Nice and heavy bodied. there's even a slightly "chewy" feel to it. Carbonation level is just right.

I love this beer. It's good to have a nice, drinkable beer that heavily tips the scales to the malty side every once in a while. I definately drink my fair share in September and October.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

One of my favorite beers. I love the arrival of fall so that I can grab a 24 of Octoberfest.

It pours a beautiful amber color with a small short lasting cream colored head.

The smell is very malty with a sweet overtone that doesn't last long because I drink the first one far too quickly.

This beer is very much of the Marzen type, very little hop in the smell but it can be tasted with no real bitterness. The test is not quite sweet and very deep.

Very easy to drink, and very very tasty. I love this beer.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

A: poured three bottles into my Paulaner maß. Pours deep copper to dark amber with a two finger light brown head that fell to a thin layer.
S: bready sweet malt, and a light bit of fruit
T: malty sweet just a touch of grain barely a hint of hop bitterness
M:smooth and medium carbonation
D: VERY drinkable otherwise i wouldn't have put three in my krug

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Great aroma and a beautiful deep red-amber color. Subtle spice flavor. A very malty beer with very little bitterness. Found this to be a very smooth and easy drinking beer. Greatly enjoyed it. I have never really tried this style before and wasn't sure what to expect but this brew makes me want to seek out more Octoberfest/Oktoberfest brews to compare. One of my most favorites found so far! Would definitely have it again and recommend to others to try.

4.63/5  rDev +26.5%

Fall and winter are my favorite for beer drinking and I love Sam Adams seasonal brews. I already have stocked up on the 12 oz Octoberfest bottles. I was at my local Chili's and they had the Samuel Adams Octoberfest on-tap. Let me say this beer on-tap is fantastic.

Color: Was a nice copper color with a nice one inch head.

Smell: The smell was of malt and caramel scents are picked up.

Taste: Very smooth malt flavors of caramel, bread, and something sweet with just a tad of bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Was full of body and with a clean taste.

Drinkability: I had two of these that night and could have went for more. A very good beer to drink.

4.62/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The body is a clear amber with a half finger white head. Aromas consist of spicy noble hops and bready caramel malts, but was kind of faint. Flavors consist of the same. The feel is medium bodied with medium carbonation, and light crisp finish.

4.61/5  rDev +26%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

No "Beer Snob" review here. Bottom line, It's good. The best, readily available, Oktoberfest beer you will find. Perfect fall beer with a smooth finish. You will love it.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Eye Candy: Pours a dark garnett red brown color with a thick off-white head. Plenty of lacing,mild carbonation. I believe that SA Oktoberfest is perfect in appearance. Very inviting.

The Nose Knows: The aroma is rich and malty, with distinctive bread notes. Deep and rich roasted malts.

Tongueland: Thick m/f, rich taste, dominated by roasted malts and hints of caramel, with some mild hops thrown in at the finish. An excellent example of the style.

Bender Factor: The only bad thing about SA Oktoberfest is it's availability. I always look forward to three fall things: College Football, pumpkin pie, and SA Oktoberfest.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Drink this beer, drink this beer, drink THIS BEER! If it's on tap, you are skipping everything else on tap, I dont care if the urine of god is on tap, you are drinking this. It is superior, especially this season, try it and love it, you may even send me a message thanking me. Be well.

Best By February 2009; Sampled October 2008
Pours with a frothy, two finger thick, lightly amber tinged, tan colored head. The beer is quite clear and shows a full amber color as it sits on my desk. The aroma has some light spicy hop character to it up front, but this is quickly drowned out by a full malt character. Aromas of caramel, toasty grain and whole grain crackers. Actually there is a fair amount of hop character here that lightly spices the more dominant malt aromatics.

Spicy hop notes cut through the slightly more dominant malt character of lightly nutty, slightly toasty grain notes and a nice, almost rich, but not to sweet, caramelized malt note. As the beer warms up it becomes more malty and rich, but still retains its spicy hop character. Light toffee notes seem to subtly intrude into the mix of well integrated flavors that define this beer. I really am enjoying the body of this brew as well, it is quite quaffable, but has just enough heft to cling a bit to the palate and lightly envelope the mouth.

This is a nice Oktoberfest, I really like that it is still fresh and has a nice spicy hop character. I really also like how the toasted malt character accentuates a soft nutty note. Overall this is a really well constructed beer, incredibly well balanced between hop and malt. I would seriously have a hard time asking for more from an Oktoberfest (well an non-Rauch one anyway). This would be quite easy to quaff liters of this beer at a time.

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%

A: Beautiful copper orange with an orange tinted, creamy, white head

S: Nice malty aroma with toast and biscuit. there is a subtle noble hop aroma which doesn't fit the style; it does, however, work very well with this beer

T: There is a malty sweetness with notes of bread crust, and toasty biscuit. There is a caramel sweetness which again doesn't fit the style, and again I could care less because it works

M: This beer is low in carbonation which helps give it an incredibly smooth and creamy mouthfeel. This beer is chewier than the color suggests it will beer. The beer is sweet throughout with the balance towards the malt but the finish is still pleasantly dry. This has one of the best mouth-feels I have experienced

D: This is a different kind of Oktoberfest. If you're a style Nazi you may not like it, but it really is a tasty beer. One of my all-time favorites and definitely my favorite from Sam Adams

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%

I love this beer it's great around the fall season it's got a good taste and a really nice flavor with food like deserts such as nuts and pies one of favorite beers that I look forward to every year I am not a huge Sam Adams drinker but this on did by far the best in my opinion it's really full flavored so I will be stocking up when this beer comes back you can count on that hahaha

4.58/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Look: One finger white head, clear orange body.

Smell : Same as below, but less apparent.

Taste : Toasty malts, caramel, slight earthy and citrus hops.

Feel :Medium body, medium carbonation, slight upfront sweetness. Crisp finish.

4.56/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This one is one of my favorites from Samuel Adams. I got it in the 'Harvest Collection', and I fell in love with it. It was also my first craft beer. I love how it's not hoppy at all.

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

This heavily malted and hoppy elixir pours a golden brown, with an incredible head. The abv content is just right - and in this case, as close to perfection as one would desire. This is definitely a session beer, however, I suspect that you may not repeat the session as once would suffice. Octoberfest beers bring out the best in production, and this one is nothing short of spectacular. With 5 roasted malts in this particular brew, you enjoy every single one of the 165 calories in this bottled beer. A worthy find.

4.54/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Loved this beer, very straightforward with the malts, there are some hops noticeable, but very minimal. Pours with a very coppery, orange color almost like a pumpkin ale. Refreshingly smooth, I advise it for almost every occasion.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a great beer to drink in the fall, the smell that it gives off after you pour it into a glass is pretty unique. Also the taste is great, there is really not a lot of beers that come close to the great taste of a Samuel Adams Octoberfest.

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I have only sampled 5 ot 6 Octoberfest style beers, but this was my favorite. I wish they brewed this all year. This was my favorite Samuel Adams beer.

It pours an absolutely beautiful red/amber color with a thick cream color head.

Smells sweet of caramel and malts. No pronounced hops or wheat here.

Flavor follows scent. Somewhat sweet, caramels, malts, very mild hops way back in the background. Not thick, but not thin.

Very easy to drink as a starter for the night or in multiples.

I wish they brewed this one year 'round!

look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was the beer that made me love Samuel Adams beer, caramel and toffee malt dominate the body, with a little hop aroma. Dark orange color, and very sweet flavor. Probably not the best Octoberfest, however, generally a very good fall beer, and probably Sam Adams' best seasonal beer.

Samuel Adams Octoberfest from Boston Beer Company (Samuel Adams)